Entire F-L-M lineup to be "remade" by 2010

mustang84

Note..."and Mercury"...great news after all the back alley chatter about the brand being axed. I'm assuming it will be the European Fords that will be given to them. It also sounds like the rest of the brands will be going through some major changes per Mullaly. With the Interceptor and MKR concepts, I think more exciting vehicles are finally coming to fruition for Ford.

In the interest of not going belly-up, Ford will be hard at work over the next three years to remake their entire Ford, Lincoln and Mercury fleet. We've got high hopes that the Bold Moves will start to come at us quickly now, and that great new product will offer significant improvements over their current offerings. It makes us wonder how long we'll have to live with the Five Hundred's rhinoplasty and the newly penned Focus. Ford also indicated an interest in selling "B" segment cars, which are sub-Focus size. Along with offering new small cars, technology integration will play a role in revamping the offerings. The newly unveiled and very cool Sync system is another way Ford will add value and substance to their wares. We also expect to see interesting developments on the hybrid and fuel-cell (and fuel-cell powered hybrid) fronts.

Our hope is that a little attention be given to the house of Lincoln Mercury first. The recent introduction of the Fusion, along with the refresh of the Focus and Five Hundred has bought Ford a little time, but the Town Car's looks have not aged well, and it's the odd-man-out styling-wise. The bold lines of the MKR concept bode well for some style to return to the long barren flanks of the bulbous Town Car. Mercury could stand some strategic focus. More effort should be paid to further differentiate Mercury, rather than just being tarted-up Fords. There has to be a reason for people to wander into the showrooms. We'll see in the coming months the fruits of Dearborn's labor, as they've got a lot of dedicated people working extremely hard at stanching the bloodflow at the Blue Oval.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/08/ford-li...signed-by-2010/

I am not optimistic that this will actually happen, but it if does, then good for Ford. Now, I really hope that if it does happen, they don't rush and do a poor job. I would rather see them take their time and get it right over say 4 years than rush and mess up by trying to do it in 3 years.

Hmmmm....right now Ford stock is at $7.74, picking up a few shars over the long term at the price doesn't seem like a horrible idea. If this does happen and Ford has even a decent turnaround in sales, it'll be worth it.

If GM is any indication, it will be.

Mercury is an easy fix: bring Ford Europe's products here and badge them as Mercuries, including the Euro Focus, Galaxy, S-Max, and Mondeo. That's 4 excellent models right there, that aren't rebadged US Fords.

What should Mercury do if the next generation North American Focus and Fusion are the same as the European Focus and Mondeo?

What should Mercury do if the next generation North American Focus and Fusion are the same as the European Focus and Mondeo?

I don't think the Mondeo would be the next Fusion, because teh Fusion does well on it's own, plus Ford's new styling is different than it is in Europe, which makes for a more unique Mercury. The Focus...I dunno, but then the current Euro Focus is already a few years old, Ford needs to redesign that at some point, and that can go to Ford.

From what I've read, the next generation Fusion is moving to the next generation EUCD platform that will be used by the Mondeo. Anyway, I think Mercury needs an updated Grand Marquis, its core vehicle, more than it needs any European Fords.

From what I've read, the next generation Fusion is moving to the next generation EUCD platform that will be used by the Mondeo. Anyway, I think Mercury needs an updated Grand Marquis, its core vehicle, more than it needs any European Fords.

No way. The Grand Marquis would only satisfy the current buyers looking to trade in. New, unique product would expand the customer base and lead to real growth. The Grand Marquis has been the same since the 1970s...if its redesign were crucial to Mercury's survival, it would have been updated far more extensively in the past decade.

I think the Grand Marquis should be updated just the way Buick updated the LeSabre and turned it into the Lucerne. Giving Mercury European Fords makes as much sense to me as giving Buicks Opels (if Saturn weren't already getting them). Ford just didn't update the Grand Marquis because it was lazy and cheap. There were numerous proposals in the mid and late 1990's to update the Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria, but Ford was cheap and just invested in SUV's. I want to see Ford's small and mid size North American cars mirror its European lineup when the next generation is designed instead of giving European Fords to Mercury.

They need more brand variation and brand specific styling and packageing. Bring over the Euro Fords as Mercury's in mid-lux packaged versions and bring back the DECONTENTED Ford starter models priced to DISTROY the Koriens at the bottom in price. And there should be NO Ford models optioned up near Lincoln when it comes to luxury! In luxury appointments Fords should end were Merc's start and Merc's should end were Lincoln's start!

"bring Ford Europe's products here and badge them as Mercuries"

NO, Ford is planning to use platforms globally, as GM is doing. So, why 'bring over' European Fords, whan they are going to use the same platforms here, too? C2 will be used for Ford and Mazda, and the Fusion, Mazda 6 and Mondeo will share. The 500 series already shares with Volvo, so there is one "Euro car brought over' already.

People complain that the 2008 Focus uses an "old" platfrom, But what is really "bad" about it? Is the handling, noise, sitffness, comfort really that bad? They took 60 lbs out of it. Asians add weight with each "all new" car. It is not as if it is a 2003 're-designed' Cavalier/Sunfire or the many redos of the W/G body.

I think the Grand Marquis should be updated just the way Buick updated the LeSabre and turned it into the Lucerne. Giving Mercury European Fords makes as much sense to me as giving Buicks Opels (if Saturn weren't already getting them). Ford just didn't update the Grand Marquis because it was lazy and cheap. There were numerous proposals in the mid and late 1990's to update the Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria, but Ford was cheap and just invested in SUV's. I want to see Ford's small and mid size North American cars mirror its European lineup when the next generation is designed instead of giving European Fords to Mercury.

Cars the size of the Grand Marquis and the Lucerne are not the cash cows they used to be. With the global politics the way they are, as well as all the hype over "global warming," Americans are starting (just starting) to shift a little bit smaller. The ride and handling advantages of a smaller vehicle are very appealing, and Americans are becoming addicted to what have traditionally been European driving dynamics. I'm not saying Mercury (and Ford) need to do nothing about the GM and CV, but IMO those should be a much lower priority than new products in higher growth markets...i.e. midsized sedans/wagons/crossovers and smaller, B- and C-segment vehicles.

Put another way: Ford needs to go RWD. What will have maximum positive impact to the brand (and the income statement): debuting RWD on a new CV/GM/TC, or on a true successor to the LS as well as a "large" (think Commodore/300-sized) Ford/Mercury sedan program? Cars the size of the Lucerne are still seen as cars for older people no matter how well they handle. Yes, the Lucerne is attracting younger buyers than the LeSabre, but it hasn't gotten that elusive "it factor" in the marketplace. Ford needs some positive buzz, which will translate into profits. The Grand Marquis is not it.

"bring Ford Europe's products here and badge them as Mercuries"

NO, Ford is planning to use platforms globally, as GM is doing. So, why 'bring over' European Fords, whan they are going to use the same platforms here, too? C2 will be used for Ford and Mazda, and the Fusion, Mazda 6 and Mondeo will share. The 500 series already shares with Volvo, so there is one "Euro car brought over' already.

People complain that the 2008 Focus uses an "old" platfrom, But what is really "bad" about it? Is the handling, noise, sitffness, comfort really that bad? They took 60 lbs out of it. Asians add weight with each "all new" car. It is not as if it is a 2003 're-designed' Cavalier/Sunfire or the many redos of the W/G body.

Using the Mondeo over here as a Mercury is using it "globally" It's doing what GM did with Saturn and Opel....and it works mighty fine for them. Not only that this is a relative quick and very effective solution. Fords over there tend to be more expensive than Fords over here (which ia Ford's excuse for not bringing the Focus stateside), and they are praised for their quality and driving dynamics. So you bring cars that you know are excellent cars already, sell them for what they would sell over there so as not to loose money, and badge them as Mercuries to 1.) Give them proven, good, and fresh product that is a notch above then Ford US equivalents. 2.) rings a line of new cars to the brand quickly (which Ford needs) on the cheap (as opposed to designing all new cars). 3.) Attract a younger set of buyers with sporty, modern cars that aren't clones of the models they can find at the Ford dealership.

But still, if the next generations of Ford cars will share the platforms from their overseas operations, what is the point to "import" the same exact cars? This whole "Mercury will sell imported Fords" is a internet rumor, not fact. I highly doubt that this will happen.

Also, isn't GM going to eventually make Saturn Astas on same line as the Cobalt? The bringing in of Opels is a quick fix.

But still, if the next generations of Ford cars will share the platforms from their overseas operations, what is the point to "import" the same exact cars? This whole "Mercury will sell imported Fords" is a internet rumor, not fact. I highly doubt that this will happen.

Also, isn't GM going to eventually make Saturn Astas on same line as the Cobalt? The bringing in of Opels is a quick fix.

aren't pretty much all the "euro" style saturns gonna be based off the same chasis's used by their NA style counterparts too?

as long as they look different who cares.

It doesn't matter if they share the same platform. the Malibu, G6, and Aura do, they look different. Ford over here can make unique designs (since they have the 3-bar grill and other grills that differ from Ford Europe.) Ford appears to at least want to go in the boxier direction (Interceptor), so that would leave Ford Europe's models to fit perfectly as Mercuries: sleeker, elegant, European.

I agree that the upcoming Mondeo would make a beautiful fit at Mercury, that is unless Ford plans to use that styling theme in thier next generation, or if they plan to bring the Mondeo is a Ford within the next couple of years. I know it's always been said the European Fords are expensive, and would not sell at the target price point of the current Ford cars in NA, so I don't see the Mondeo coming as is and just supplanting the Fusion [though if it was really good, I could see it basing around 20k for a 4 cylinder version, compared to 17-18k for the Fusion]. I also know the Mondeo is a really stylish car, inside and out, and would be a great, fast way to differentiate Mercury, but when I say fast I mean like within a year or less. Ford can do it, they are known for less beaurocracy than GM, so thier programs get approved faster.

The current cars are all duds. Just like GM, they let the car line wither and did not anticipate the car market would move as quickly as it has, but cars like the Altima and Accord that are successful, and Civic, were not just going to stand still.

Mercury is an easy fix: bring Ford Europe's products here and badge them as Mercuries, including the Euro Focus, Galaxy, S-Max, and Mondeo. That's 4 excellent models right there, that aren't rebadged US Fords.

Hmmm.....I disagree.

I think the European Fords SHOULD BE the U.S. Fords......

Mercury can come up with something different......