Lincoln to get Fairlane-based crossover

Flybrian

Ford will make a seven-passenger Lincoln crossover
Amy Wilson | | Automotive News / January 12, 2007 - 12:34 pm

Link to Original Article @ Automotive News

Posted Image

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. confirmed today that it will build a seven-passenger crossover vehicle for its Lincoln brand.

Ford showed the Lincoln crossover during a presentation to analysts. The vehicle shares its underpinnings with a coming Ford-brand crossover based on the Fairlane concept.

Executives didn't provide a name or timing. But analysts expect the Lincoln crossover, code-named D472, to go on sale in 2008 for the 2009 model year.

Officials declined to share images. Peter Horbury, Ford's North American design chief, compared the Lincoln crossover's styling with the sleekness of a Gulfstream jet.

Derrick Kuzak, Ford's global product chief, said the Lincoln crossover is the best example of the changes that Ford is making in its product development organization. The aim there is to commonize platforms and manufacturing while maintaining distinctive styling.

While it shares "some hard points" with the Fairlane-inspired production vehicle, the Lincoln crossover takes a major departure in styling, Kuzak said.

Ford "didn't just drop a new grille and badge on this vehicle," he said. "I'll be frank: We toyed with the idea. But the team agreed the easy way wasn't the right way."

Ford "didn't just drop a new grille and badge on this vehicle," he said. "I'll be frank: We toyed with the idea. But the team agreed the easy way wasn't the right way."

While I am scared Ford even toyed with that idea, good to hear it was decided against.

considering we haven't even seen a production version of the Fairlane or a hint of this Lincoln, thats bold and probably inaccurate

(except for the lambda s are good part) statement to make. I'm sure there will be a bunch of people who will prefer the fairline/lincoln because a)its a ford, just liek there will be people who prefer the lambdas simply because they are gm) and b)the stylin appeals more to their to their tastes.

Having seen both the Fairlane and this Lincoln D472 in the flesh at the Ford Preview, let me give you the low down.

The Lincoln has 4 wheels. Those wheels were wrapped in something that appeared to be a hard rubber compound. The vehicle also had glass. This is quite possibly for the purpose of seeing where you are going. Along the same line, there were some odd, light projecting devices in front. We are guessing these are to be used for the dangerous, almost never practiced, "driving at night," activity people sometimes engage in.

You heard it here first.

Edited by CD/BP

I hear it will have some sort of propulsion system that uses a combustion engine, and a device that is composed of several "gears". I also have heard rumors that the more luxurious models will feature something that is able to capture various "radio" waves. No word on what it will be called though.