Ford Sues Navistar

Variance

Ford Sues Navistar

Ford Motor Co. has filed a lawsuit against Navistar International Corp. over warranty costs and the prices of the diesel engines it supplies the auto maker, Bloomberg reports.

In the filing, Ford alleges Warrenville, IL-based Navistar owes it money under an agreement to share engine warranty costs, which it says Navistar has failed to pay.

Navistar diesels, which Ford uses in its best-selling line of Super Duty F-Series pickup trucks, have been the subject of various quality issues in the past.

Ward's Auto

This doesn't surprise me all that much. The 6.0L PowerJoke, er, Powerstroke engine has been a HUGE sore spot for Ford since it was introduced. Now as far as the reasoning behind the lawsuit, maybe IHC/Navistar increased the cost of the engine because they finally found out what they were doing wrong and doing the right thing costs a little more, which they have to transfer off to their buyer (FoMoCo in this case). Hopefully the 6.4L will be an improvement, although I'm still not sure why the 7.3 was retired.

I worked as a Ford service adviser for over 8 years. We regularly saw many old 7.3 diesels with 250,000 hard-work miles or more...with no lost performance, no major break-downs. OK, water pumps were a weak spot...but the core was strong strong strong.

Conversely, we saw 6.0 diesels with major power losses, weird power surges, poor idle, smokey exhaust, misfiring injectors, head problems... and the list goes on. Sadly, most of these trucks had under 50K on the odometer.

The old 7.3 was a tough work horse, and in my opinion, one of the best engines Ford EVER used.

The new 6.4 should keep service techs busy for the first 18 months of production, too.

Well considering their MD truck engines are normaly either a Duramax, Cat, or Detriot, they should be okay. IHC/Navistar has enough on their plates building engines for THEIR trucks and Ford, much less getting in bed with GM. I'd have to say that GM's diesel engines and choices for diesel engines in their MD and HD trucks are well thought out and founded. I haven't seen that many problems with the engines that GM uses in their larger trucks.

This doesn't surprise me all that much. The 6.0L PowerJoke, er, Powerstroke engine has been a HUGE sore spot for Ford since it was introduced. Now as far as the reasoning behind the lawsuit, maybe IHC/Navistar increased the cost of the engine because they finally found out what they were doing wrong and doing the right thing costs a little more, which they have to transfer off to their buyer (FoMoCo in this case). Hopefully the 6.4L will be an improvement, although I'm still not sure why the 7.3 was retired.

The 7.3 was retired due to the upcoming (I believe) Tier II EPA diesel emission standards. There was no way the 7.3 could be modified to pass.

Screw Ford... I have not cared about their trucks pretty much ever.

I think Ford stopped making cool trucks in the 1970s, if not 1980s.

At least their old style 80s -mid 90s f-series still offered the two 4.9

lier motors... the inline six AND the 302 V8. I stil am not a big fan

of Ford's new V8s.

Oh snap, and I think a partnership w/ International is a GREAT thing for GM

and International-Harvester. They control a huge market share of the

medium & heavy duty sector.