2008 Cadillac CTS: NAIAS pictures and video

!!!TED!!!

Awesome!

Slightly off topic, but... Any thoughts about this "new display theme" where GM was supposed to be its own enclosure? I remember seeing a thread about how they wanted to do it, but I haven't heard anything about the final product.

That is gorgeous. I wasn't very impressed with earlier pictures but this is STUNNING!!!!! That rear reminds me of the last gen el-dorado, but in a much more modern way....My only concern, well Cadillac's only concern should be: ''Where does this leave the STS??? :scratchchin: ... This is the first car to ever make me WISH I could afford a brand new caddy!

Wow ... between this and the new Malibu, I really like GM's new direction on interiors. Atttractive, stylish, and from what I've heard the materials are much improved. Follow these designs with top notch fit and finish and GM may surprise alot of critics over the next year or so. :yes:

Is it me, or is something glowing in the headlights? :blink:

It's not just you... something is glowing. You're talking about that vertical line of light on the outsides of the headampls, right? I was going to ask about that. At first glance it looks almost like a neon bulb, but it's probably LED's.

The interior is awesome, I love it. The design can be summed up as old-world meets modern technology and I think it's great. My only question is with the grille: is that grey plastic or a toned down metal? It looks like cheap plastic.

Very nice post of photos and videos TED. I looked at the car. I pondered on something one else said.

If this is the new CTS and it is so much better in many ways that the STS, does this mean:

The next STS will be larger and more distinct?

The DTS follow up will be longer and larger than the current car?

This car pushes everything upward..

The STS was not Lutz's car. That car was something like the current Grand Prix and LaCrosse he tried to fix and make halfway decent. The old cars are falling off one by one.

Some how, GM China made that STS better in some many ways.

You can see how international GM influenced this car. The door panels are very Holden like. The seats are very GM China(look at SLS), the gauges are very GM Europe, while the exterior is GM North America. This car will not be modified much when it is exported other than right hand drive applications.

Any ideas??

Cadillac did take a cue from Infiniti. That pop up navigation screen came from them.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Did they have one out for spectators to sit in, or were they only on the displays? Going to the Chicago show and was hoping to sit in one to get a feel for the size. Pictures seem to make the rear side window look chopped off and I'm concerned what sort of room we got back there.

These pictures represent new angles for me, and as I expected I've gained some new insight and depth into the look. First off, it's definitely a great looking car. The new 3/4 front angle [thanks Ted] reminds me so much of the STS, the whole car is STS with a little CTS effect thrown in. So this is a redesign of the STS, CTS, XLR design theme, which is great, they've freshened it enough that it looks sexified, sleek, and modern. The rear still has the CTS pointed middle the STS lacks and the lights look slinkier and stealther than on the STS. The disappointment set in when I realized the design theme had not truly advanced. I'm disappointed we weren't taken in a new direction. The car is not everything I had hoped for, and I truly hoped the BLS was the last we would see of the same exact cues, but they've done it again.

I have been studying the pics and I watched the 'In Action' vid... but I am still undecided. After about a year from the CTS's '02 debut, I moved to loving the design, and I still love it. It's very clean & classic, yet it's completely unique and unapologetic about it. Oh, and I love the slatted grillework. My initial reaction is that altho the new CTS is more dynamic, it seems less inspired and now, slightly apologetic. I need to see it in person at length.

Then again, maybe I should reevaluate after a year...

The headlights have light "tubes" or something to that effect. That's the skinny vertical thing that's glowing. I don't remember exactly what they called them but it was something like that.

That's what I thought they were. Awesome.

Did no one else catch that you can't get a manual with the DI engine, or is it just that no one cares?

GM gets so many things right with this car, but gets one of the more important things wrong? Wow.

Definitely a disappointment.

I thought that you could, hmm GM should have done this right off the bat, another F-UP!! But regardless I think by and far the new CTS was the best production car at the show. I usually go with a group of people to the show some of which are big GM skeptics and they were extremely impressed with new CTS, even the Malibu too. I still think they have a long way to go though, they better follow this up with a pretty damn good refreshing of the STS to keep people coming back to Cadillac. The funny thing was the CTS made the Escalades look like crap in my opinion. They just looked too over the top which I know is what they wanted but in a way they looked gaudy to me and circus like in comparison. The CTS looked very elegant and I think they need to convey this more across the line in the near future.

The headlights have light "tubes" or something to that effect. That's the skinny vertical thing that's glowing. I don't remember exactly what they called them but it was something like that.

Designers explain the details:

Its described as a "light pipe".

And to answer sciguy, it seems all the trim is real.

The only question I have that has been driving me crazy is....The two black squares that are on the dash between the two air vents and the two seat heeat buttons. What are those?

Does anyone know what those are?

Those are the displays for the climate control.

I think the STS needs to grow larger and compete with the 7-series since the CTS is now big enough to compete with the 5-series. Then they need a smaller car to compete size wise with the 3-series. And finally...drop the ancient DTS.

Hey Hey Hey!!! Hold the presses... If anything should go, its the STS... that thing was ugly from the start... DTS (Deville 1949) Has been around longer than STS (Seville 1975). Deville deserves it because of its longevity.

It should be:

BTS (NG BLS)

CTS

DTS

ETC (NG XLR... I added this just to show how its alphabetic)

FTS (Resurrect Fleetwood as a 7L-fighter)

I know that's out of nowhere for this topic... but what is Cadillac without a Deville? :banghead:

This car rocks! I can't wait to see it at the Houston Auto Show! Oh wait, it won't be at the Houston show.

Huh????

Houston is only the 4th largest city in the country - and I'm not going to see the new CTS (at least according to the Caddy website). I'm officially pissed.

Didn't catch that...darn....so what's the HP on the other engine?

258HP. It should satisfy most buyers, but it won't be nearly as much fun as having 300+.

EDIT: I just looked at the specs, and it says you can get a manual with the 3.6... so maybe it's late availability or maybe the guy is just wrong?

The interior is awesome, I love it. The design can be summed up as old-world meets modern technology and I think it's great. My only question is with the grille: is that grey plastic or a toned down metal? It looks like cheap plastic.

Nope. Expensive plastic I'd say. It's not likley metal as would be a bit too heavy! It looked pretty good.

Did they have one out for spectators to sit in, or were they only on the displays? Going to the Chicago show and was hoping to sit in one to get a feel for the size. Pictures seem to make the rear side window look chopped off and I'm concerned what sort of room we got back there.

No getting in one! The silver one was just roped off. You could lean in and look inside, and could touch the car, but it was locked. The red one was on a revolving pedestal.

I have been studying the pics and I watched the 'In Action' vid... but I am still undecided. After about a year from the CTS's '02 debut, I moved to loving the design, and I still love it. It's very clean & classic, yet it's completely unique and unapologetic about it. Oh, and I love the slatted grillework. My initial reaction is that altho the new CTS is more dynamic, it seems less inspired and now, slightly apologetic. I need to see it in person at length.

Then again, maybe I should reevaluate after a year...

you need to see it in person. it's not apologetic. it's less 'aggressive' and more 'elegant'. where the '02 CTS had some werid angles to it, this one does not. IMO they have addressed the original shortcomings and turned it into a beauty. see it in person first! biggest problem was the expectations that people had due to the hype. once you get past that, it's all good. (see evok's post in the other thread for a good summary)

258HP. It should satisfy most buyers, but it won't be nearly as much fun as having 300+.

EDIT: I just looked at the specs, and it says you can get a manual with the 3.6... so maybe it's late availability or maybe the guy is just wrong?

i didn't listen to the 'presentation', but my experience is that those folks don't know jack about the car and just regurgitate the stuff they memorized.

in case you missed my post in the NAIAS thread here are my pics of the CTS and a couple of the Camaro. (note, I have not even had a chance to view all the pics myself nor delete some of the crap ones.)

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/cien_2007/

the car is awesome and I can't wait for the Toronto show so I can go stare at it all over again!

Wow ... between this and the new Malibu, I really like GM's new direction on interiors. Atttractive, stylish, and from what I've heard the materials are much improved. Follow these designs with top notch fit and finish and GM may surprise alot of critics over the next year or so. :yes:

Agreed, the newest GM interiors are starting to scream sexy and also quality!

That front end on the CTS looks GNARLY! :idhitit::idhitit::idhitit:

Not good if the manual is limited only to 258 hp...the G35 and TL-S beat that and are probably lighter..

Edited by moltar

in case you missed my post in the NAIAS thread here are my pics of the CTS and a couple of the Camaro. (note, I have not even had a chance to view all the pics myself nor delete some of the crap ones.)

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/cien_2007/

the car is awesome and I can't wait for the Toronto show so I can go stare at it all over again!

Great pictures. You got it from every angle!

I cant wait for the Toronto show either. :pbjtime:

Great pictures. You got it from every angle!

I cant wait for the Toronto show either. :pbjtime:

ya. a bit overkill!

but someone who posts here oftern wasn't going to make it to NAIAS so I took lots of pictures. (i've given up taking my camera normally as it takes too long and pictures don't turn out as well as you think!)

see if you can get in the trunk of the CTS in Toronto!!!