Tonawanda Gets $300 Million To Build GM's Newest Engine

Derek77

Buffalo, NY – General Motors today announced it will invest $300 million in its GM Powertrain Tonawanda engine plant to manufacture an all-new, technically advanced dual overhead cam (DOHC) V-8 engine, slated to begin production here in 2009.

“This all-new engine will play a critical role in GM’s exciting future luxury vehicle portfolio,” said John Buttermore, GM Powertrain vice president of global manufacturing. “As one of the most technically advanced engines in GM, its power and smoothness will be among the world’s best, and yet more fuel efficient and environmentally friendly.”

The investment includes renovation to part of the plant, new machinery and tooling to support the new engine production. Renovations are expected to begin this fall. As a result of this new work, Tonawanda will retain 150 jobs.

“On behalf of General Motors, I commend the United Auto Workers, UAW Local 774, and local and state leaders for helping to provide the business case and securing the necessary incentives to support this investment and the future of the GMPT Tonawanda engine plant,” said Bill Shaw, GM Powertrain manufacturing manager.

New York Governor Elliot Spitzer said, “GM’s $300 million investment is welcome news for Western New York and exhibits the company’s faith that issues affecting the business climate of this state can and will be successfully confronted. GM’s willingness to invest in the area is an early sign of the state’s economic development prospects and is a testament to the great value of our highly skilled workforce.”

Today’s announcement brings GM’s total investment in the GMPT Tonawanda plant to $1.5 billion over the last ten years.

“This is a significant investment from the standpoint of expanding production here at Tonawanda and providing greater job security for UAW Local 774’s members whose dedication helped win this new work,” said Wally Wedington, UAW Local 774 shop chairman.

“General Motors’ continuing investment in Tonawanda and Erie County demonstrates the strength of our partnership,” said Joel Giambra, Erie County executive. “We are thrilled to be able to protect jobs at the GM Powertrain plant through cooperation with GM management and UAW Local 774 leadership.”

The GM Powertrain Tonawanda engine plant has produced nearly 67 million engines since its opening in 1938. The plant employs 1,860 people and provides an annual payroll of $198 million. GMPT Tonawanda currently produces the 4-cylinder, Ecotec 2.2-liter engines for the Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR and Malibu and the Saturn Ion; High Value, V-6 3.5- and 3.9-liter engines for the Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo, and the Pontiac G6; Inline 4- and 5-cylinder engines for the Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon and the Hummer H3; Vortec 8100 8.1-liter engines for the Chevrolet Kodiak, GMC TopKick and sold outside GM for various marine applications.

2009 is probably in time for the NG STS. It will make a good addition to the Lambdas when they get an MCE, too. Right now I don't think there's really a product that such an engine deserves to go into, other than the Lambdas. New CTS, maybe. The STS and XLR aren't going to see sales by getting a new engine, though.

Great news for this area. Looks like GM will be staying around for a little while considering the amount of money they put into the Tonawanda plant. Now, if GM modified the workers comp laws, gave more tax breaks, etc., they'll be here for a long time.

I wouldn't be surprised that the CTS-V gets this engine. Then a blown version in the STS-V.

I doubt this engine will have more than 400HP, so they wouldn't put it in the CTS-V. Possibly in the next STS-V (supercharged, as you said), but not naturally aspirated in the CTS-V. Maybe in a regular CTS to bridge the gap between the V and top V6, but I doubt that, as the STS needs something over the CTS in the engine range, and giving the CTS this V8 wouldn't allow the regular STS to have anything unique.

I doubt this engine will have more than 400HP, so they wouldn't put it in the CTS-V. Possibly in the next STS-V (supercharged, as you said), but not naturally aspirated in the CTS-V. Maybe in a regular CTS to bridge the gap between the V and top V6, but I doubt that, as the STS needs something over the CTS in the engine range, and giving the CTS this V8 wouldn't allow the regular STS to have anything unique.

CTS-V should get an uprated version for better competitiveness with import intenders.

With direct injection and high rpm 400hp or more is certainly possible.

They should keep the Northstar name and offer it in various displacements ranging between 4.6 and 5.4, with hp ranging between 400 and 450, plus offering turbocharging that would get it up to 550hp. This should make the new Northstar the segment leader in hp and torque.

With direct injection and high rpm 400hp or more is certainly possible.

If this is the case, it fits the picture.

CTS gets, V6, DI V6, and DI V8

STS gets, DI V6, V8 and DI V8 Supercharged.

Although it would be interesting to see that the STS not getting a V6 at all. IIRC BMW doesn't sell the 730i in NA. Leave the V6 STS to export.

I hope the CTS/V keeps pushrod power...

DOHC is for people who eat up marketing jingles and don't mind high maintenence.

I'm assuming the diesel will be OHV, not DOHC. The Duramax, Cummins, and Powerstroke are all OHV.

no, remember the small v-8 diesel that's DOHC that's going to be the size of a small block....?

yeah, still possible it's either the NG N* or the diesel!!!!!

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...showtopic=11361 fly's quoted response

GM to Introduce New Light-Duty Diesel for North America

High-efficiency V-8 scheduled for pickup trucks under 8,600 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight

MILFORD, Mich. - General Motors Corp. will introduce a new V-8 turbo-diesel that improves engine fuel efficiency by 25 percent for North American light duty trucks after 2009.

The premium V-8 diesel is expected to deliver class-leading torque, power and refinement while maintaining a significant fuel efficiency advantage over comparable output gasoline engines.

The new dual-overhead cam, four-valve V-8 diesel engine will fit within the same space as a small-block V-8 gasoline engine. This compact size is made possible by using an integrated air system and narrow block.

"This new GM light duty diesel is expected to become a favorite among customers who require excellent towing ability and fuel efficiency," said Tom Stephens, group vice president, GM Powertrain. "It will meet the stringent 2010 emissions standards, and it will be compliant in all 50 states, making it one of the cleanest diesel vehicles ever produced."

Technical highlights of the engine include aluminum cylinder heads with integrated manifolding, compacted graphite iron (CGI) block for a strong engine base and fracture-split main bearing caps and connecting rods for a precise fit. A high-pressure, common-rail fuel system is used, which has the ability to inject fuel five times per combustion event to control noise and emissions.

--------------------

I hope they add this new V8 to the CTS with around 375HP as a NON V opt over the 300HP V6. Then do a SC version of it for the CTS V with 500HP and make it in 375+HP form the standard Engine in the next STS. Take the next STS up market with a longer weelbase and V8 only power to better devide it from the CTS model. Take it closer to the S class/7 Series yet for less $$$$ like the new CTS is to the 5 Series/E class models and drop the DTS model alltogether!

I hope they add this new V8 to the CTS with around 375HP as a NON V opt over the 300HP V6. Then do a SC version of it for the CTS V with 500HP and make it in 375+HP form the standard Engine in the next STS. Take the next STS up market with a longer weelbase and V8 only power to better devide it from the CTS model. Take it closer to the S class/7 Series yet for less $$$$ like the new CTS is to the 5 Series/E class models and drop the DTS model alltogether!

PLEASE don't start that in this thread. that topic has been beaten to death...

I hope the CTS/V keeps pushrod power...

DOHC is for people who eat up marketing jingles and don't mind high maintenence.

I don't see how DOHC valve trains increase maintenance at all. Generally speaking there is very little maintenance. A modern DOHC engine needs no more than once every 15,000~20,000 mile oil changes and basically no additional maintenance from 0 to 200,000 miles other than keeping an eye on fluid levels. It is in fact not uncommon for the accessory belt(s) to last that long and usually those are the first things to go.

In fact, in terms of valvetrain longevity pushrods tend to be a somewhat worse. The reason being that in a OHV engine the spring has to be strong enough to prevent valve float against the heavy mass of the valve, rocker, rod and lifter. In a DOHC engine the each spring support a smaller valve, smaller rocker, no rod and (if a lash adjuster is used) no lifter at all. That means that for the same redline capability you can apply a lighter valve spring tension and this causes less wear.

The pushrod OHV design has certain advantages. The most significant of which is cost. In the case of a V8 a 6 liter OHV aluminum engine will make 400hp with less weight and take up less space than a 4.0 liter 400hp V8. It also has tend to have a less linear torque curve, but in big HP engines where traction is a challenge being a little "soft" on the low end is sometimes not a bad thing. However, an OHV engine is incompatible with the refinement expectations on today's luxury car buyers and even that of some performance enthusiasts.

just have to say it, I won't be surprised when all of you are wrong and i'm right it's the diesel. :P:lol:

Buffalo, NY – General Motors today announced it will invest $300 million in its GM Powertrain Tonawanda engine plant to manufacture an all-new, technically advanced dual overhead cam (DOHC) V-8 engine, slated to begin production here in 2009.

“This all-new engine will play a critical role in GM’s exciting future luxury vehicle portfolio,” said John Buttermore, GM Powertrain vice president of global manufacturing. “As one of the most technically advanced engines in GM, its power and smoothness will be among the world’s best, and yet more fuel efficient and environmentally friendly.”

GM to Introduce New Light-Duty Diesel for North America

High-efficiency V-8 scheduled for pickup trucks under 8,600 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight

MILFORD, Mich. - General Motors Corp. will introduce a new V-8 turbo-diesel that improves engine fuel efficiency by 25 percent for North American light duty trucks after 2009.

The premium V-8 diesel is expected to deliver class-leading torque, power and refinement while maintaining a significant fuel efficiency advantage over comparable output gasoline engines.

hm... is that right? :lol:

Edited by loki