Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Jeep Commander is done

Drew Dowdell

Jeep Commander going down by 2009

Link to AutoBlog

Since Edmunds.com is claiming that potential buyers of the Commander were being offered up to $8,000 in incentives towards the end of 2006, the German-American hybrid may have seen the writing on the wall.

No tears shed here. Jeep would have been better off building a Durango vaiant if they wanted three row seating. I would suspect that the next gen Grand Cherokee will have three rows. I would not be saddened if the Compass went away as well. That is the goofiest proportioned thing I have seen since the Aztek, and the idea of a front wheel drive Jeep is laughable. Too bad my neighbor was one of the first around to buy a Compass, so I will be stuck looking at it for at least the next few years.

I liked the Commander from some angles, especially the front. But it's too small to be comfortable in the back...like AM6 said, Jeep should have built it off the Durango (instead of Chrysler). They should hang onto the name though, it sounds cool. If they do make a replacement that's bigger, it should look like the Rescue concept. Either that or give the next Grand Cherokee 3rd row seating (and a better interior). Ditch the Compass too.

The Commander just stole sales from the Grand Cherokee. Anyway, dealers selling Jeeps also have the Chrysler Aspen available for those wanting seats for 7, so I don't think Jeep needs a larger SUV.

Agreed...they already have the Durango and Aspen for those who want/need a 7 passenger SUV...I'm all for keeping the GC the size it is...

Is anyone really surprised? No, I'm not saying this was a bad SUV. It was actually pretty good but it didn't have any standout features to set it apart from its competitors in a very crowded and declining segment. On top of that, it was a brand new model with a name unfamiliar to most. You're always going to have to play catch-up when you debut a new model. Jeep just couldn't find a way how to in time. It's hardly a blunder when you consider the Compass.

There are a ton of Commanders on the road in the Detroit area. I think they look pretty sweet, but don't really offer anything more than the Grand Cherokee. The 3rd row is just for kids, and they would probably even complain after a few miles.

They will probably make the Grand Cherokee larger, due to the Liberty growing in size to be the main two row Jeep. The next GC will probably have three real rows. Probably not the best for off-roading purposes, but better for sales. Besides, how many people take a $30K+ SUV off-roading?

Probably not the best for off-roading purposes, but better for sales. Besides, how many people take a $30K+ SUV off-roading?

True... I'd rather not see the GC get any larger than it is... I've taken mine off-road a few times every year...and know other owners that do that, but this being Colorado, that's probably an anomaly compared to the rest of the country..

Jeep is going downhill quicker than Ford.

True... I'd rather not see the GC get any larger than it is... I've taken mine off-road a few times every year...and know other owners that do that, but this being Colorado, that's probably an anomaly compared to the rest of the country..

The next generation Grand Cherokee will be offered in both 5-passenger and 7-passenger editions. I'm not sure if that means that they'll be in two different bodies (ala Trailblazer/EXT), but there will be two versions. I assume that they'll remain "compact."

I was polarized on the styling on it when it came out. I did not like it at first, I really am not too in love with it still, but after driving one that a friend of mine has who works for Chrysler its not too bad. My friend is on his second Commander and I like the new one even better with the V8 in it. But I think D/C and Jeep for that matter needs to trim down their lineups so they don't have vehicles like these with $8,000 incentives. I would be happy if they got rid of the Compass and stuck with just the Patriot, but thats just me.

At least the Commander is something we can respect. Sure it fails as being a true 7-seat SUV, and it's not the prettiest, but it's still a Jeep. You can take this baby off road if you wanted. The Compass on the other hand is a p*ssy. It's far uglier, and it can't do off-roading. Plus the Commander gets a unique interior...not a mildly reworked Caliber interior.

If Jeep wanted to build an upmarket SUV, it needed to FIRST have a class worthy bold and futuristic exterior design, something that screamed Jeep but also screamed expensive and look at me. It next needed to have a much better interior design and quality of materials done. Third, it needed to probably be on the Ram platform or Durango platform instead of the extended GC platform. Jeep should look to MB for advice on how to make and market a successful large premium SUV.

Edited by turbo200

Jeep needs to be Jeep. They need to continue to look at unique genuine ways at buidling Jeep like the extended 4-door Wrangler, that LOOKS like a Jeep, acts like a JEEP, and is utalitarian in every respect. Compass is an appalling way to try and build the brand. GC needs to be updated majorly, it needs to drive a lot more securely to compete with crossovers, but it also needs a premium interior to reflect the premium price, and an update on the successful skin.

I did not care for the Commander when it first arrived, but now I like it. Actually, I think it looks better than the current GC. I think the Commander should have been a GC, with a low roof 2 row model and the high roof 3 row model. I know the driving dynamics of the new GC are much improved over the last gen (IFS be damned), but the new styling is just not as handsome. A low roof Commander as a Grand Cherokee would look good, imo. So, the name "Commander" will go away, but, based on the spy pics of the next Liberty, I bet the next GC looks more like the current Commander. Or the Trailhawk.

Jeep has a problem with their bigger wagons. The problem? The old Cherokee. Jeep customers just love that thing, and they cannot get past that love. Notice how every new wagon Jeep comes out with (except for the pathetic Compass) takes styling cues from the late, lamented Cherokee. So now they're floundering around, trying to regain that magic.

I did not care for the Commander when it first arrived, but now I like it. Actually, I think it looks better than the current GC. I think the Commander should have been a GC, with a low roof 2 row model and the high roof 3 row model. I know the driving dynamics of the new GC are much improved over the last gen (IFS be damned), but the new styling is just not as handsome. A low roof Commander as a Grand Cherokee would look good, imo. So, the name "Commander" will go away, but, based on the spy pics of the next Liberty, I bet the next GC looks more like the current Commander. Or the Trailhawk.

Jeep has a problem with their bigger wagons. The problem? The old Cherokee. Jeep customers just love that thing, and they cannot get past that love. Notice how every new wagon Jeep comes out with (except for the pathetic Compass) takes styling cues from the late, lamented Cherokee. So now they're floundering around, trying to regain that magic.

I have noticed that too.

I'm glad it's gone-J-U-N-K.

Brew was right-there are a lot in our area. I see quite a few of them...

They are also junk. And even easier to steal (like more DCX products)

A good friend of one of my neighbors works at a C/J dealership, and they seem to be spending time working on them for different reasons..he's not surprised to be working on 2-3 a day...

And more of them end up in the impound yard....

One was used in a shooting last night... :rolleyes:

As a Commander owner, I have to say that I am not surprised that it is leaving - as there are some glaring problems with the truck, mostly in the realm of Gas Mileage. Why the 4.7 can only get 13 MPG is beyond me. The Hemi is WORSE! Some report best mileage of 9! My Tahoe does 18+ and it has a 5.3. The back seat is tight, and the third row is useless. Period. Oh, and who ever designed the DECAPITRON rear window opener should be shot! Touch the button and be too close and you will be hit in the face every time.

With all of that said: We bought it to get my wife out of a small car that she just had to have. It has a TON of great features in it for what we paid for it. It is NOT worth sticker, but for what we bought it for - BARGAIN! The stability control and 4WD system is great, the controls are all Mercedes derived and goodies like memory seats linked to the pedals AND mirrors really make it a nice truck to drive. Seats are comfy and the sunroof and window controls are all one touch (Mercedes) which makes driving it really nice.

With that said, my wifes next car will be a GMC Acadia or Saturn Outlook.