Spied: 2008 Mercury Montego

DetroitNut90

Ford's testers have begun pulling the camouflage off of their prototypes for the facelifted Mercury Montego. The new Montego ditches the current model's frumpy headlights, in favor of Milan-inspired lights featuring a swept-back "eyebrow" look. The lights have a more detailed, high-tech look.

Leftlane News

This is the equivelant of a new & redesigned grille on a Camry mid-life update. :rolleyes:

Even under the Loch Ness Monster-skin camo, I'll still say it looks better than its Ford sister. I hate white taillights though. At least they have a few diagonal strakes, a la other fairly recent Mercs. (I prefer multiple, vertical deliniations, a tradition prolly first used by first-gen Cougars, but hey.)

Even under the Loch Ness Monster-skin camo, I'll still say it looks better than its Ford sister. I hate white taillights though. At least they have a few diagonal strakes, a la other fairly recent Mercs. (I prefer multiple, vertical deliniations, a tradition prolly first used by first-gen Cougars, but hey.)

Agreed. Looks a bit more sophisticated and less blob-like than the current version, but overall a minute change. Still better than the Ford...but I don't get the clear/white taillights either. Oh well, at least they tried...it's just hard to fix an overall shape with a nose and butt trim.

I'll wait until the camo's off, but I think it's an improvement.

I like the new Five Hundred...it still needs a greenhouse change, but it looks pretty good in the NAIAS pictures a member posted at BON. However, Ford needs to get a completely refreshed one out soon...the new 08 'Bu is going to give it a run for its money.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by mustang84

it sucks and is inexcusbale why ford cannot seem to make a car which is very good conceptually (lots of space and command seating), in the end desirable for someone to drive. And yes, I drive one every day.

ALL THEY NEED TO DO to fix the styling is this....

-revise the 'shoulder height' of the car and allow to flow longer across the car, and don't be so abrupt with its termination at the front and rear.

-see if you can do anything with trim or something to minimize the vast appearance of the greenhouse and thin rear pillar

-give the car a large 'face' ala Audi or new CTS, that is, filling the entire front face of the car and minimizing the horizontal interruption of the bumper line. Not just headlights and a tiny grille hanging over the big ass bumper line.

-emphasize the new door sill trim spats even more to 'ground the car'

-give the car more defintive bolder shapes. look at the soft flare of the wheel wells and the wimpy shaping of the hood bulge and such. GIVE THE SHAPES SOME DEFINITION.

-crisper wheel well design and flares over the wheels. the ones now are way to blobbish.

-add visual interest like side fedner turn signal indicators etc.

-redo the entire trunk lid and taillights. the diagnol cut of the rear fender and taillights and its transition into a useless soft trunk lip is absolutly abysmal. The lights need a more vertical cut which would emphasize the car's length, which in turn would help the grennhouse appear less massive.

-lower the window sills just a bit. just a bit and lower the roof 1-2 inches. there is so much headroom you can pull it off.

-lower the mirrors a bit and make them slightly smaller and sleeker. there are F-150 mirrors.

The interior is the part that needs the most fixing.

MEH. By the time ford gets this car figured out it will be 2015. No ownder we have 12B losses.

I just realized both cars have clear taillights. A definite step backward from their "no overlap" mantra.

Montego will continue to have LEDs so it and the 500 will be different in that the 500 has an Altima-style red lense surrounded by clear while Montego looks clear until the breaks are applied.