MAZDA CX-9

regfootball

here

Though it's based on a platform similar to the new Ford Edge, the CX-9 is built in Japan and the only parts it shares with the Edge are the Ford-built 263-hp 3.5-litre V6 engine, and a fully independent Mazda6-derived suspension. Both vehicles have a six-speed automatic transmission, but the CX-9's is different, built by Aisin.

Posted Image

stylistically I can not endorse this vs. the Lambdas but it appears as if Mazda has brought in a very good entry. I see this as being a good cheaper alternative to the overhyped and overpriced MDX and probably also a more sporty performer than the good lambdas also. I just don't think the styling is there.

Edited by regfootball

Naturally, Mazda took the sporty route with its large crossover design, making the car appeal to a different group of consumers. I like the CX-9 better than the OUTLOOK inside and out. The Acadia has a better interior and Enclave win hands down.

Naturally, Mazda took the sporty route with its large crossover design, making the car appeal to a different group of consumers. I like the CX-9 better than the OUTLOOK inside and out. The Acadia has a better interior and Enclave win hands down.

I agree with you Sci. But I think Outlook with its up level version looks better interior wise and with darker colors looks better than the CX-9. The Acadia and Enclave are in their leagues of their own. I think both have tremendous presence compared to the Outlook.

I sat in both the Acadia and the CX-9 at the Portland Int. Auto Show, and I must say: Kudos to GM and Mazda!!! Both Interiors felt well-crafted, and the same for the exterior.

Personally, I'd take the CX-9, black exterior/interior, 19 inch rims... in a few years :thumbsup:

But I've been thinking about a GmInsideNews post that was up a while ago by someone who went to Ford's private get-together where FoMoCo showed off to employees it's future vehicles... and the poster describes the Ford as being egg shaped and progressive... could it be a re-badged CX-9? Who knows... it'll be the Edge/CX-7/MKX sharing a platform, and the extended versions going to the CX9/Explorer? Just some thoughts.

love the look, but I'd prefer the utility of the Lamba more. The exterior dimensions are about the same, but the Outlook has 71L more cargo space with all the seats up and (558 vs. 487) and 462L more with the seats down (3313 vs. 2851). Plus, it has 1000lb more towing capacity than the CX-9.

I love the styling. While the Lambdas are undoubtedly attractive, I love the CX-9's a bit more, inside and out.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I agree wholeheartedly.

As much as I like the Lambdas.....and think they are fully class-competitive......the CX-9 could make life difficult for them. (However, I'm sure Mazda is not geared up to produce and sell nearly as many CX-9s as GM is the three Lamdas.)

(However, I'm sure Mazda is not geared up to produce and sell nearly as many CX-9s as GM is the three Lamdas.)

As well as its stunningly-similar-to-the-CX-7 looks. Not many in the general community understand the CX-7 exists, so a CX-9 would hardly be noticed. Most people still know Mazda for their core cars (Miata, RX), or the 6.

So where exactly have you sat in a CX-9?

I found it to be quite roomy, relatively speaking, in the third-row......

Please tell me you're joking...

Posted Image

I have not sat in one, but I think the fact that there is no way my leg is skinny enough to fit in that tiny area pretty much tells me the CX-9's rear seat is useless.

Please tell me you're joking...

Posted Image

I have not sat in one, but I think the fact that there is no way my leg is skinny enough to fit in that tiny area pretty much tells me the CX-9's rear seat is useless.

The second row can slide back and forth 5 inches. With legroom apportioned properly between the 2nd and 3rd rows, the CX-9 is surprisingly roomy for 7.

The second row can slide back and forth 5 inches. With legroom apportioned properly between the 2nd and 3rd rows, the CX-9 is surprisingly roomy for 7.

And actually a lot like a Lambda 3rd row, in truth. The Mazda isn't as large overall, but rear seating wise, it definitely seems quite similar.

Pictures don't tell the whole story, real tests do, and I thought the Acadia's 3rd row was equal to or better than our Suburban (which actually isn't that great in the leg/foot area for as large as it is) and because it doesn't look THAT much different in photos, really want to see and try the same seat in the Mazda.

Edited by caddycruiser

And actually a lot like a Lambda 3rd row, in truth. The Mazda isn't as large overall, but rear seating wise, it definitely seems quite similar.

Pictures don't tell the whole story, real tests do, and I thought the Acadia's 3rd row was equal to or better than our Suburban (which actually isn't that great in the leg/foot area for as large as it is) and because it doesn't look THAT much different in photos, really want to see and try the same seat in the Mazda.

I sat in one at NAIAS in all rows. The second row is very roomy, and the third row has enough for my legs for short rides. But you can adjust them to fit more comfortably for longer trips. Not as good as the Lambdas but it is still enough to accomodate 7.

• 4 months later...

anyone drive one yet?

I was at the Mazda dealer this weekend and these things are kind of piling up on the lot. Not as much as the CX-7, though. BIG discounts on the CX-7's.

Anyways, after driving the outlook again last weekend, i was thinking that the cheap dash plastic on it and the hefty weight was a bit of a turnoff and i thought I enjoyed the edge so much so the cx-9 is just a 3 row edge really. Even though i don't care for the CX-9's dash and door panels, the manual shifter, the lower weight and good drive might make it a candidate for me.

anyone ride in one yet?