Razor Redux: Dodge readies Solstice fighter

sciguy_0504

Dodge is developing a rear-wheel-drive roadster to compete with the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky, according to a published report citing credible sources. It will have some similarities to the 2002 Dodge Razor concept (pictured).

The new two-seater will arrive at the Geneva auto show in March, according to the the latest issue of U.K. weekly car magazine Autocar. It will fit with Dodge's performance brand image, placing it squarely against Pontiac's Solstice, the report said.

"The small sports car market is an ideal fit for Dodge," Chrysler Group design chief Trevor Creed told the magazine.

Chrysler is undoubtedly hoping the Dodge project will experience more success than the Chrysler-brand Crossfire. The two-seat roadster and coupe have been criticized for being overpriced and not competitive enough.

Leftlane News

Never liked this design much, so many of DCX's concepts

as of late look like they're cheap toys or Japanime... :(

They said it will have "some" traits of the Razor...but hopefully they make it look better...I never cared for it. Also I hope that unlike teh concept, this is designed with a radio and A/C in mind. I think it's cool that they are going to make a roadster, but like CSpec said, it's somewhat surprising.

Dodge has so many holes in its lineup-a Solstice/Sky-type sports car notwithstanding-but priority one should be getting some good interiors (besides Charger/Magnum) into the rest of its cars, upgrading its SE/SXT trim levels' equipment/appearance), and oh yeah...WHERE IS THE COMPACT SEDAN (and the rest of the line)???!!! (Caliber is a compact CROSSOVER, not passenger car, so it doesn't count, plus its design is really awkward). Another concept-only SlingShot/Razor/Copperhead is great (moreso the latter two), but this really, really is far from a priority for Dodge and the rest of Chrysler Group.

The Razor was ugly...lots of Dodge concepts of the time are were ugly. Hopefully, whatever we get'll be better-looking than the Razor.

That said, I'd rather see the money used to make the existing products more competitive. The Caliber I sat in at the auto show was comical. The Avenger was merely average. Those should be taken care of before Dodge gets another product.

Chrysler and Mercedes-Benz are already and currently developing a new V6 engine family that will be shared across all brands albeit with different specifications depending on application.

My main question that seems to not have been discussed here yet is "What is this going to be based on or developed from?"

Is there a new compact rear-drive platform Chrysler is developing?

Is it yet something else based on the outdated old SLK architecture with heavy modifications?

Is this platform from another manufacturer?

I don't care for the styling of the Razor anyway. It's ugly. Period.

Now if Plymouth were around, a rear-drve Plymouth Pronto Spyder would be looking mighty good right about now.

Posted Image

The Razor was lame and they should scap everything but the name.

They should do a Copper Head roadster as it has been one of the best 2 seat concepts they have done.

The only problem I see with that is it was very similar to the Solstice in many ways. But then again they both where Lutz cars.

They had better work on price as the Crossfire was about $25,000 too high and you know what happend to that.

The people that think the Razor was "ugly" are on crack! It's just your blind hatred for Chrysler getting in the way. It was going to be a small lightweight roadster with the SRT-4's 250+ HP powertrain. It would have been crazy fast. If it will now carry the current SRT-4 powertain.....it will have 300 HP!!!

It would only need a slight bit of tweaking to look modern today:

Posted Image

Yes sir Mr. Swillis, I agree the Razor is a cool concept. I was disappointed when they didn't give it the green light for production. I'd like to see the production version make changes only for proper crash protection, and to make the cockpit roomy enough to be livable. This is good news any time a domestic manufacturer makes something so cool.

Chrysler and Mercedes-Benz are already and currently developing a new V6 engine family that will be shared across all brands albeit with different specifications depending on application.

My main question that seems to not have been discussed here yet is "What is this going to be based on or developed from?"

Is there a new compact rear-drive platform Chrysler is developing?

Is it yet something else based on the outdated old SLK architecture with heavy modifications?

Is this platform from another manufacturer?

I don't care for the styling of the Razor anyway. It's ugly. Period.

Now if Plymouth were around, a rear-drve Plymouth Pronto Spyder would be looking mighty good right about now.

Posted Image

I had forgoten about the Pronto Spyder, that was one fine looking auto.

The people that think the Razor was "ugly" are on crack! It's just your blind hatred for Chrysler getting in the way.

Posted Image

I think you have that backwards... I have no bias against Chrysler, but you have bias for Chrysler. It's just ugly. Anyways, as mentioned, I hope it looks better than the ugly Razor. Regardless, DCX should focus on more important segments considering their pretty sad situation. Or maybe putting that money towards better interiors so theyre atleast average rather than pathetic. Edited by blackviper8891

Well, they both came out as concepts in 2002, and I liked the Razor's looks better, but not by much. And look how cool the Solstice came out when it was produced. The Dodge would have/will have the better powertrain....300 (+?) HP. If you think any 300 HP small roadster is ugly, you are not a true car enthusiast!! :nono:

Posted Image

Posted Image

It will fit with Dodge's performance brand image

I'm sorry, WHAT? Dodge is now there performance brand?

As for the question the timing given DCX's financial situation right now, GM wasn't doing so well when the Solstice/Sky was brought out either.

Well, they both came out as concepts in 2002, and I liked the Razor's looks better, but not by much. And look how cool the Solstice came out when it was produced. The Dodge would have/will have the better powertrain....300 (+?) HP. If you think any 300 HP small roadster is ugly, you are not a true car enthusiast!! :nono:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Compared to the Razor, the Solstice is like sex. And not liking a roadster because it's ugly doesn't make me a true car enthusiast... how? I'd just rather have the one that doesn't look like ass.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and what about the other trim levels of those models? you telling me the base Caliber is a performance car? :lol: since SRT's are spread across Chrysler, Dodge & Jeep, does that been they are ALL performance brands?

I never said they didn't have performance variants, but there is a difference between that the entire brand being a "performance brand"

Edited by Dragon

and what about the other trim levels of those models? you telling me the base Caliber is a performance car? :lol: since SRT's are spread across Chrysler, Dodge & Jeep, does that been they are ALL performance brands?

I never said they didn't have performance variants, but there is a difference between that the entire brand being a "performance brand"

Dodge= 5 SRT's (6 if you count both Viper variations!)

Chrysler= 2 SRT's

Jeep= 1 SRT

Dodge= 5 SRT's (6 if you count both Viper variations!)

Chrysler= 2 SRT's

Jeep= 1 SRT

Like I said before, performance trim levels does not a performance brand make.

what about the other trim levels of those vehicles? you gonna call an SE Caliber or Avenger a "performance" vehicle? How about the Sprinter and Caravan?

what about the other trim levels of those vehicles? you gonna call an SE Caliber or Avenger a "performance" vehicle? How about the Sprinter and Caravan?

Well by your defination Ford (maybe Aston Martin) or GM does not have any performance brands...

In fact the only ones in the world as Ferrari, Lambo and Porsche?

So by your definition GM, Ford, and moat other brands don't have performance.

Or are you gonna try and say that a Malibu has performance. The Corvette? Guess what, same story with the Viper. The SRT badge isn't just a couple mods...it takes their vehicles to teh top of their respected classes. But that means nothing right?

I must agree with those saying Dodge is a performance brand. It's a slightly more exciting Chevy... Both have performance variants of their basic consumer cars as well as a few performance models. They have performance, but are not a performance brand in the least. And no, Pontiac isn't either if you were going to try that with me. Performance brands are strictly performance, if you ask me. Off the top of my head (some current, some past), it would include: Aston Martin, Caterham, De Tomaso, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati, McLaren, Panoz, Porsche, TVR, and Venturi. BMW and Alfa Romeo may also fit in some ways, as no matter how far downmarket they go, they're still performance oriented.

I'm sorry, WHAT? Dodge is now there performance brand?

As for the question the timing given DCX's financial situation right now, GM wasn't doing so well when the Solstice/Sky was brought out either.

Dodge has been DCX's performance (sporty might be a better description) brand for many years...Dodge is their Pontiac, Chrysler is their Buick, and Merc is their Cadillac, so to speak. Plymouth was their Chevy before it's demise. (these are approximate analogies, of course).

Edited by moltar