Sign in to follow this  
Intrepidation

Volvo V70 Ready for Geneva Debut

24 posts in this topic

Intrepidation    846

Posted Image

Volvo had intended the V70 to usher gently into this world later today - but since a Dutch publication broke their embargo, we're piling on with these pics and this info on the new big wagon coming to Geneva.

Volvo says the new V70 is definitely not a sport wagon, the term so many European manufacturers now cherish for their station wagons. The new Volvo V70 is a real station wagon, with an emphasis on practicality.

Key in the V70's profile is safety gear. Volvo's Side Impact Protection System has been improved; the new model will also get Volvo's whiplash protection head restraints (WHIPS), adaptive cruise control, and the Personal Car Communicator, a system that senses the heartbeat of the driver in order to detect signs of sleepiness.

The new V70 has the family looks of the S80 and at the rear it shows a resemblance to the new C30 compact hatchback. The luggage compartment has grown by nearly two cubic feet to 19 cubic feet, and the large hatch makes it easier to access the cargo area.

The V70 will get a new 3.0-liter turbo engine with 285 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque. Volvo's 3.2-liter in-line six with 238 hp and 236 lb-ft, and its 2.5-liter five-cylinder with 200 hp and 221 lb-ft of torque, also will be available, as will two diesel versions.

Stability and traction control will be standard. The turbo model will get standard all-wheel drive. Options will include the Four C-suspension, which adjusts itself to the vehicle's speed.

Prices have not yet been announced, but we expect them by the end of the month as we prepare for the Geneva show.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Car_Shows_...288.A11840.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

Paolino    99

U-G-L-Y

pow    106

Love it. All the upper middle class suburb moms will be driving this. It looks responsible yet sophisticated at the same time.

Edited by empowah

regfootball    234

VERY NICE. amazing this made it through as well as it did with Ford sucking so bad.

I bet the next S60 is hot.

check out the climate controls. the buttons are human shaped, and the lighted arrows point to which part of your body the airflow is going. AWESOME!

km77.com article - picture links at the bottom of the page

Posted Image

Posted Image

i could just MELT into those leather seats. YUMMY!

Edited by regfootball

sciguy_0504    0

The nav screen is indeed in a weird place but I guess you can see it better since it is up high. The climate control buttons are cool but may take some getting used to. The dashboard reminds me of the mid-90's Eldorado, if I'm not mistaken.

balthazar    1,882

Wow: that is some frontal overhang! Hope they offer ultrasonic driving sensors in the front.

Someone please explain: why does volvo insist on putting 3-foot tall lenses on the the back of their cars, yet only 3 sq inches light up when the brake pedal is pushed?? That's the same brake light area that my buddy's ol' '53 Merc had. Not very consistant with their 'safety' marketing.

thegriffon    5

VERY NICE. amazing this made it through as well as it did with Ford sucking so bad.

I bet the next S60 is hot.

You mean XC60. The S60 never made much headway against the Germans, but the V70 is larger, more expensive and almost as popular. Volvo has see the popularity of the XC90 and has decided to embrace its image rather than keep fighting against it.

regfootball    234

You mean XC60. The S60 never made much headway against the Germans, but the V70 is larger, more expensive and almost as popular. Volvo has see the popularity of the XC90 and has decided to embrace its image rather than keep fighting against it.

No, I meant S60. The S60 is a sportier scaled down S80. Around here, the S60 is a hugely popular car. Mainly due to AWD available I am sure at a time when C class and 3 series hadn't quite ramped up on that yet. The last couple of years maybe not so much. But still the S60 is the sexy Volvo. The fact they did a good job as they did with this wagon (which is also hugely popular around here) makes me think the next S60 will be very nice.

The XC volvos also do well around here, aside from the sedans and wagons. Volvo sells really well here in MN. AWD, safety, and scandinavian heritage. Its a great way to own euro and get a quality car but not be perceived as an uppity snot like BMW owners are around here.

Joelill2    0

No, I meant S60. The S60 is a sportier scaled down S80.

You sure? The S60 isn't too attractive, it is a scaled down S80, but the Volvo S40 is more what I'd consder sexy and stylish. I don't know if they're going to revise the S60, I think it's on its way out shortly. There's just not a place for it.

The XC volvos also do well around here, aside from the sedans and wagons. Volvo sells really well here in MN. AWD, safety, and scandinavian heritage. Its a great way to own euro and get a quality car but not be perceived as an uppity snot like BMW owners are around here.

My mom has a 2005 Volvo XC90 AWD and it's a great car. No real problems at 40,000 miles. Smooth, love the turbo, gets great gas mileage for a 5k lb. car,(20mpg city) (24 highway), and is the best looking SUV out there (IMO). Volvos are very simple, they don't really have anything extravagant, but what simple things they do, they do them well. I do think Volvo needs a little more pizazz in order to spice up their lineup.

thegriffon    5

No, I meant S60. The S60 is a sportier scaled down S80. Around here, the S60 is a hugely popular car. Mainly due to AWD available I am sure at a time when C class and 3 series hadn't quite ramped up on that yet. The last couple of years maybe not so much. But still the S60 is the sexy Volvo. The fact they did a good job as they did with this wagon (which is also hugely popular around here) makes me think the next S60 will be very nice.

I think you missed the point—there may not be another S60.

BlkHhr104    0

Its common sense actually, why would they make the V70 and XC70 on the S80 when the S60 was the one that usually provided the platform them, this has to be the last we see of the S60.

pow    106

I hope not :( it's a nice bimmer alternative

Posted Image

I'll miss it, too. It's a nice car for young families. The S40 is too much for singles and the S80 is too executivey.

Oh and I find the S60 insanely comfortable for some reason, especially the R version with its awesome leather and supportive seats.

Edited by empowah

regfootball    234

I'll miss it, too. It's a nice car for young families. The S40 is too much for singles and the S80 is too executivey.

Oh and I find the S60 insanely comfortable for some reason, especially the R version with its awesome leather and supportive seats.

the s60 excelled at driver accomodations where the c class a4 and bmw3 did not. Its wider, cushier seats, more expansive dash.

HMMMM, maybe I need to look for a used S60R, HMMMMMMM

I actally did look at one one time. A base S60 manual. The S60's BIG flaw is tight leg room in the backseat.

Otherwise, to me, the car is perfect sized. It's wide enough.

Edited by regfootball

Joelill2    0

the s60 excelled at driver accomodations where the c class a4 and bmw3 did not. Its wider, cushier seats, more expansive dash.

HMMMM, maybe I need to look for a used S60R, HMMMMMMM

I actally did look at one one time. A base S60 manual. The S60's BIG flaw is tight leg room in the backseat.

Otherwise, to me, the car is perfect sized. It's wide enough.

I'd say go for it. The S60's a good size, the turbo engine's are my favorite. The back seat is kinda tight, but all you have to do is sacrifice a little bit of the enormous room for the front passenger, and there's some more room. I fit fine in the back, and I'm 6'1".

turbo200    6

that is one sweet wagon. the new bulged sheetmetal, tough stance [and elegant simplicity] and proportions all work. Makes a great soccer mom vehicle. The interior is perfect.

Edited by turbo200

FAPTurbo    1,080

Meh. Volvo's always look like spaceships to me. The interior is nice, but the vehicle just seems dull as dishwater.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this