honda CIVIC type R

regfootball

Let's get out that scorecard...

Digital speedos. Done by GM, 1980s. After a few years, uncool. Dropped. Done by Honda, 2005. Cheers all around.

Center mounted Gauges. Done by Saturn, 2002(?), Ion. Panned by auto mags as "annoying". Will be dropped with Ion. Done by Toyota, 2004. Cheers for "intuitive and innovative".

Bias? Maybe. Better timing and execution? Maybe. Who knows why GM innovation gets kicked in their face?

So wait... digital speedometers are cool again?

Actually, the digital speedo isn't bad of an idea, just that Honda got the execution wrong and made it look like a spaceship. On the Corvette displayed on HUD is marvellous.

Let's get out that scorecard...

Digital speedos. Done by GM, 1980s. After a few years, uncool. Dropped. Done by Honda, 2005. Cheers all around.

Center mounted Gauges. Done by Saturn, 2002(?), Ion. Panned by auto mags as "annoying". Will be dropped with Ion. Done by Toyota, 2004. Cheers for "intuitive and innovative".

Bias? Maybe. Better timing and execution? Maybe. Who knows why GM innovation gets kicked in their face?

I thought the GM digital clusters were discontinued because they were unreliable. I still like the digital clusters on the '90 Cutlass Supremes though.

My eyes hurt from that interior--too much going on!

:withstupid: Uh... I don't know what else to say.

That interior looks like it belongs in an early 90s Pontiac concept car. And no, that's not a compliment.

digital speedo FTL. I can follow the sweep of the speedo in my peripheral vision and do just fine, though I usually have a pretty good feel by just by gear & sound/feel. I'd have to look down at that, boo. Whats even worse is the 2 tiered dash, ugh

What center mount gauges are you talking about? I see the clock with 2 number below, but I didnt' think those were gauges.

Otherwise, I like the interior. Kind looks like a cockpit, which works for a sporty little car like that.

i'm surprised noone has commented on thet grotesque steering wheel and the ridiculous HVAC controls. just WHY does honda ALWAYS get a free pass? is their kool-aide better than everyone elses?

the look of the HVAC controls dont' bother me. Though the position looks a little to close (ie. behind) the steering wheel.

Speaking of which, taking a second look, it kind reminds me of a uterus and va-jay-jay. and is that really such a bad thing? :lol:

Exterior is sharp and modern looking and it's a lot better than the egg on wheels we got for our last gen Civic Type-R. As for the interior, its one of the main reasons I like this generation of Civic so much. It's so DIFFERENT than any other Honda or other car out there right now. Years from now this 8th gen Civic will stand out from the rest of its brethern for having a polarizing interior, similar to the 4th gen Prelude's reputation. The Black/Red combo has always been used in Type-Rs, but I do think the red should be used more sparingly as in keep the seat bottoms and floorboard black. The red stiching should stay.

The main complaint I have is what others have mentioned, the steering wheel. It's so big and bulky looking and doesn't match up with either the car's exterior or interior in anyway. It's definitely ugly, but that's the main styling complaint I have. Actually I lied, I still hate that weird midlevel window spoiler thing in the rear. Just prop that up top and the car will look a lot better.

As for everyone complaining how Honda is getting a "free pass" on the digital gauges, please realize that not everyone is loving the digitalness of the Civic either. It's either a like it or hate it thing, and I've read several reviews/blogs sharing both opinions.

One thing I hope stops is people saying "GM got blasted for using digital gauges, and Honda isn't!" When did this turn into a "media are biased" discussion? If I remember right, GM got slammed for their gauges 15-20 years ago because they were inaccurate and plus they were put in lackluster cars anyways. Maybe the media hated the whole car and decided to add one more thing to their "con" list. I'd say the main reason the media isn't reeling from a digital speedo nowadays is because of the world we live in where electronic devices are everywhere. "Digital/electronic" has become more integrated with our everyday life and maybe it doesn't stand out as much as it used to, I mean we are even starting to build electronic parking garages now where there are no ramps and a computers moves your car into a slot.

Would I actually BUY one of this CTRs? I'm not sure, never driven/sat in one so I can't say I would. I'd probably end up with something more practical and less racey looking like a G8! But the Civic is interesting to me and props to Honda for taking a risk with styling. This time it paid off. Also, its perfect for that import tuner 16-18 year old market that its aimed for. I may be the only one who says anything pro about this car today but I don't mind, I like the car for what it is. Plus I think the interior is giving me a Knight Rider vibe for some reason...why is there no david hasselhoff smiley? hah. 8)

Edited by big blue

I like the Interior, for what it is. You guys complain that there is too much going on, but you haven't sat in it, and couldn't possibly have a clue if it is well laid out and ergonomic or not. The red S2000 interior had way more red than this, I think this interior has a good balance of red and black, for a Type R. Obviously this interior wouldn't fly in the base model.

Also, this is a European car only, they have different tastes than us.

The interior of the NA Civic is the reason that I really wouldn't consider one.

I absolutely love the cab-forward design of the coupe. Chrysler prematurely abandoned this styling theme in my opinion.

What's shocking to me is that even though this Type-R's interior is a disaster (mainly from colouration), I just find it hard to believe that the overall interior styling (though obviously related) somehow seems more cohesive than the North American Civic. However, there still seem to be too many random, jutting, and (based on perception) ill-fitting pieces because of their various sizes. It's like the person styling it said, let's add another line there, make this random circle a button, ooh, let's place a new arc over here, and then, let's make sure to assemble it from ten million different pieces of plastic that are sure to rattle or squeak somehow in the future. Yuck.

Edited by MyerShift

Pontiac needs a car like this stat. The new Pontiac performance for the future, a well rounded lineup of performance cars. I love that interior, exterior is great too. There's a big market for this kind of car, with the right street cred and performance Pontiac could sell a lot. Maybe no more than 30-40k/yr, but it'd still be cool to replace the G5 with something young kids actually like.

Pontiac needs a car like this stat. The new Pontiac performance for the future, a well rounded lineup of performance cars. I love that interior, exterior is great too. There's a big market for this kind of car, with the right street cred and performance Pontiac could sell a lot. Maybe no more than 30-40k/yr, but it'd still be cool to replace the G5 with something young kids actually like.

Exactly. BTW I really like the interior but I doubt I would want it in a car I would buy.

I actually like the simple functionality of the Cobalt SS Supercharged interior better. Seriously.

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

For reference, I need to look at a stock Civic interior...

Posted Image

Now, completely ignoring the tacky trim...

- The nav screen appears to be obstructed in its current position.

- The button layout for the stereo doesn't seem ergonomically friendly. I imagine I'd have to look down to find a particular preset.

- Is that push-button start AND a turn-key ignition?

- I'm glad they separated the fuel door and trunk releases from each other. You want to talk about awkward? This is what's in the current model:

Posted Image

- The nav screen appears to be obstructed in its current position.

- The button layout for the stereo doesn't seem ergonomically friendly. I imagine I'd have to look down to find a particular preset.

- Is that push-button start AND a turn-key ignition?

- I'm glad they separated the fuel door and trunk releases from each other. You want to talk about awkward? This is what's in the current model:

From the picture, the nav screen looks very well placed. What would obstruct it, the steering wheel? The button layout looks fine too. Most stereo's aren't at eye level.

The red button looks like a hazard button to me, and not start.

The push/pull button looks fine to me too. My Civic had the trunk and the gas cap levers right next to each other. This looks like it's just as easy.

The buyer of this car will want to replace the stock radio the day they take it home. Looks like honda gave them no choice but to keep it.

It's not just the digital dash that's GM of the 80's, its the stereo, the multiple buttons that are the same size, the seats that are made only for skinny people . . .

All things GM got slammed for, and honda seems to be getting praise or ignored about.

My Cougar XR7 had the cooest digital dash of any car I've ever owned.

Loved that car, hated that car. My only problem with it was that it was

not GM, and therefore I was sad to see some airhead girl total it on me.

The buyer of this car will want to replace the stock radio the day they take it home. Looks like honda gave them no choice but to keep it.

It's not just the digital dash that's GM of the 80's, its the stereo, the multiple buttons that are the same size, the seats that are made only for skinny people . . .

All things GM got slammed for, and honda seems to be getting praise or ignored about.

So you know exactly what a European car buyer is going to do with this car? Maybe the stock sound system is very good.

Just because GM used a digital dash in the 80's and got blasted for it, means anybody who uses one now is "getting a free pass"? Multiple buttons that are the same size? What? How can you know how well the seats fit without sitting in them!?

Maybe GM gets slammed for things because of poor implementation? Or like big blue said.

So you know exactly what a European car buyer is going to do with this car? Maybe the stock sound system is very good.

Just because GM used a digital dash in the 80's and got blasted for it, means anybody who uses one now is "getting a free pass"? Multiple buttons that are the same size? What? How can you know how well the seats fit without sitting in them!?

Maybe GM gets slammed for things because of poor implementation? Or like big blue said.

The GM Digital dash was blasted to the point of heckling. I don't know about the other divisions, but the Oldsmobile models that had them were functional and attractive. I actually miss having the digital dash from my '85 Toronado.

My Cougar XR7 had the cooest digital dash of any car I've ever owned.

Loved that car, hated that car. My only problem with it was that it was

not GM, and therefore I was sad to see some airhead girl total it on me.

what year was your cougar? My BIL had an 85 cougar XR7 with digital dash, great car. he replaced it with an 88 Tbird Turbo coupe. That was one of my favorite cars he owned.

Edited by regfootball

Posted Image

I've been doing it every week for 5 years. My Accord has the same setup, push for gas lid and pull for trunk, I like it actually. It saves from one more unnecessary lever being implemented. Once you get used to it, you kind of enjoy the simplicity. In comparison, my 93 Accord had a smaller gas lever inside the trunk lever, now that was slightly annoying...