NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Next Holden UTE may be headed to America

56 posts in this topic

Ute set for September debut?

The source of the article:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2338032.aspx

Holden's next generation of the VE/WM new model dynasty is now due in September. Mark it in the diary now.

Indeed, our sources have revealed that the lure of "substantial" export orders for "the Americas" have accelerated the planned launch date of the new Commodore Ute. It will now be unveiled ahead of a Spring launch and it will be part of Holden's export portfolio.

The new Ute will be exported in much larger volumes than the past generation of haulers, our source says. For example, right-hand drive VZ Utes have been exported in small quantities to South Africa (NZ's not really exporting, is it?) but the new Ute will be built in left-drive.

Just what badge it will wear is an interesting question to ponder.

Holden will verify GM's worst kept secret (that Commodore will go to the USA as a Pontiac) at an announcement in Melbourne next Thursday. This will correspond with a similar 'reveal' at the Chicago Motor Show in the USA. It is unlikely, however, that the Ute will go to the USA or South America wearing the same nameplate.

Whatever the badge, the most important US benchmark the Aussie Ute must measure up to can be found in your local hardware already. US market 'truck' beds are rated on their ability to swallow 8 x 4ft sheets of plywood and nothing else...

If we were betting types we'd wager that the extra wheelbase and new rear suspension the new generation Ute will boast will make sure the car does exactly that...

Posted Image

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Doesn't the US already have something like this...oh yeah its called a Subaru Baja. Hardly see them on the road, and I'd bet I would see even fewer of these. What's US pricing work out to be for this doing the conversion from Aussieland? Better be less than $25,000 or it will be a flop. :gay:

Edited by CreativeVision

Flybrian    0

Doesn't the US already have something like this...oh yeah its called a Subaru Baja. Hardly see them on the road, and I'd bet I would see even fewer of these. What's US pricing work out to be for this doing the conversion from Aussieland? Better be less than $25,000 or it will be a flop.

The Baja was a mediocre attempt to re-crack the car-based truck market. The Switchback 'midgate' was junk, the bed uselessly small, the first models were high-priced, and if you remember it debuted in that godawful yellow and gray color scheme. The limited Subaru dealer network combined with the lack of a real customer base as well as the total lack of awareness for those who may have been interested surely didn't help.

Chevrolet, on the other hand, has a wider distribution network as well as the precedence of once making the El Camino for nearly thirty years.

I think what it may come down to is whether or not a Ute is manufactured north of the border or immediately south. If so, diverting a few stateside may be so hassle free it can be reasonably accomplished.

daves87rs    327

Doesn't the US already have something like this...oh yeah its called a Subaru Baja. Hardly see them on the road, and I'd bet I would see even fewer of these. What's US pricing work out to be for this doing the conversion from Aussieland? Better be less than $25,000 or it will be a flop. :gay:

The name El Camino is enough to send people running to the dealership... :pbjtime:

Price it right, make it fast, and they will come.

:idhitit:

Camino LS6    866

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the car wearing a new Impala nose or Camaro styling cues. Likely though, it will resemble the Commodore more closely than the G8 does - at least at first.

I'll be there to take pics of mine when it comes off of the transporter. :AH-HA_wink:

GMTruckGuy74    228

GMC Sprint!

:withstupid:(sorry Camino, but you know that I have to agree with that statement!)

It will more likely end up as a Chevy El Camino - mark my and many others here word for it.

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Dragon    0

:withstupid:(sorry Camino, but you know that I have to agree with that statement!)

It will more likely end up as a Chevy El Camino - mark my and many others here word for it.

lol, I just meant that as a joke.

I'd prefer to buy a Camino. Hell, up until an hour ago when my roomate mentioned it, I never even knew the Sprint existed.

a Professional Grade version could definitely be useful. Would go nicely with a panel version of the HHR in the GMC lineup I think

red    0

This makes sense as a niche product. Definitely nothing on the market like it...the Ridgeline is close, however.

If the front-end styling is the same, Pontiac should receive the Ute. GM can't take another step back on the differentiation tip for the sake of globalization. Additionally, this fits in with the P/B/GMC niche strategy...should GM brass stick to it.

I'd imagine production around 10,000/year...US consumers aren't exactly clamoring for such a vehicle.

Regalguy01    0

Give it 4 doors and you'd have a competitor for the Ridgeline

While this may be true, considering the Ridgeline is not a sales success(despite having the endorsements of all the auto rags) I don't think this would be a wise move. The General is already admittedly cash-strapped so why gamble on something that's just that: A GAMBLE.

I am pleased with most of the 06' offerings by GM and would like to see them build on the momentum of their launch vehicles with more solid, attractive and class-leading vehicles. Gm has shown with vehicles like the Silverado/Tahoe, Escalade and soon-to-be Lambda triplets that it has the capability to lead hot segments. I just don't think there would be enough interest in this to make a decent profit for many reasons.

Did I mention that the design makes me want to...... :puke:

BuddyP    0

While this may be true, considering the Ridgeline is not a sales success(despite having the endorsements of all the auto rags) I don't think this would be a wise move. The General is already admittedly cash-strapped so why gamble on something that's just that: A GAMBLE.

Actually I was kinda joking with that comment... with the Ridgeline being a car chassis and all

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.