Sign in to follow this  
Drew Dowdell

IIHS: Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX Earn Top Safety Pick Ratings

11 posts in this topic

IIHS: Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX Earn Top Safety Pick Ratings

link to AutoChannel

DEARBORN, Mich., Feb. 5, 2007 – The 2007 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX crossovers have earned Top Safety Pick ratings from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), the first of a line of Ford Motor Company vehicles to benefit from the company's strategy to accelerate the rollout of its exclusive roll stability control system and advanced crash protection systems.

part of the reason why the Edge is so heavy is that ford wanted to guarantee good safety ratings for this thing. i know the edge is porky, but if the trade off is safety, its one many consumers will make, regardless if the auto journalists use it as the big reason to knock the edge down and rip it. And I know ford's quality push has led them to overengineer some of the chassis and bodies on some models to err on the conservative side.

back when the autorags were deifying the camry and accord like a decade ago, it was always that the domestics were so heavy and the accord was so light. Nowadays, a lot of those same type fo Asian cars have bloated up as much as the domestics. Some haven't. But show me how many of those frail light asian crackerboxes held up over time?

Ford just wants big safety and long term solid chassis for this thing if its as important a product as they said it is to their portfolio.

good job ford.

Edited by regfootball

This raises the question: how heavy is too heavy?

Are we going to keep adding mass to subcompacts until they weigh as much as a tractor trailer? The compact class already has many cars at 3,000+ lbs. That and their size increases over time have made them the same size and weight as the older midsize cars.

Edited by aaaantoine

When a 2007 Camry XLE weighs as much as a 2005 Buick LeSabre and a 1991 Camry was nearly 1,000lbs lighter <in base form> than either of the those newer porkers.

Put in perspecive, between 1991 and 2007 a Camry has gained as much as 1,000lbs while LeSabre only grew about 300lbs between 1991 and 2005. At the rate it's beefing up, the Camry will weigh more than a current DTS in it's next product cycle!

part of the reason why the Edge is so heavy is that ford wanted to guarantee good safety ratings for this thing. i know the edge is porky, but if the trade off is safety, its one many consumers will make, regardless if the auto journalists use it as the big reason to knock the edge down and rip it. And I know ford's quality push has led them to overengineer some of the chassis and bodies on some models to err on the conservative side.

back when the autorags were deifying the camry and accord like a decade ago, it was always that the domestics were so heavy and the accord was so light. Nowadays, a lot of those same type fo Asian cars have bloated up as much as the domestics. Some haven't. But show me how many of those frail light asian crackerboxes held up over time?

Ford just wants big safety and long term solid chassis for this thing if its as important a product as they said it is to their portfolio.

good job ford.

FWIW, the much lighter and larger Freestyle received the same crash ratings.

More importantly, Ford fixed the Fusion/Milan. They went from acceptable/acceptable (front/side) to good/good. Still not a "top safety pick" ("marginal" headrests and no ESP), but now it's competitive with Accord and Camry.

Edited by empowah

Are we going to keep adding mass to subcompacts until they weigh as much as a tractor trailer? The compact class already has many cars at 3,000+ lbs. That and their size increases over time have made them the same size and weight as the older midsize cars.

ASK VW AUDI BMW they are the masters of porky compacts but they get praised for it.

why does a jetta weigh near as much as a new altima????/

the freestyle was not a top pick, was it?

Because it doesn't have good headrests and ESP. Nothing to do with crash performance or curb weight.

edit - The thing with increasing curb weight is not all of it goes to improving structure strength. Hell, even last-gen RAV4s or CR-Vs would be "top safety picks" with better headrests and ESP.

Edited by empowah

i think the main reason curb weights have increased are the continuing 'need' to make rigid structures so the magazines can write the obligatory sentence about 'torsional rigidty has increased 287%' or 'vaultlike'. In truth, a major benefit to having a rock solid chassis is being able to to have the freedom to tune the suspension however you want.

one reason domestics are heavier often is thicker sheetmetal that dents less and does not rust through as easily.

i think the main reason curb weights have increased are the continuing 'need' to make rigid structures so the magazines can write the obligatory sentence about 'torsional rigidty has increased 287%' or 'vaultlike'. In truth, a major benefit to having a rock solid chassis is being able to to have the freedom to tune the suspension however you want.

one reason domestics are heavier often is thicker sheetmetal that dents less and does not rust through as easily.

First paragraph...I'm with ya.

Last Sentence is not only wrong in theory (higher quality steels and alloys are lighter than comprable strength 'average' steel), but in practice as well (most high-end vehicles are switching to exotic plastics, aluminum and space age production techniques, all of which are generally beyond the reach of cost-cutting US manufacturing.)

Curb weights are rising due to compatability issues and an increase in content. Rust just isn't a factor in vehicle longevity anymore, except in extreme conditions.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this