Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Ford Five Hundred to become "Taurus"

63 posts in this topic

Report: Ford set to put Taurus name on Five Hundred sedan

Automotive News / February 6, 2007 - 7:00 am

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Ford Motor Co. is planning to announce that its Five Hundred sedan will be renamed the Taurus, Dow Jones Newswires reported.

The news wire said Ford executives would announce the plan on Wednesday, Feb. 7, at the Chicago auto show.

No Ford spokesman was immediately available to comment.

The Taurus nameplate is a Ford icon. It first appeared in December 1985 as a 1986 model and fueled a sales revival at the automaker. The Taurus reigned as the top-selling car in the United States from 1992 through 1996, but gave up that title to the Toyota Camry. Sales continued to fall in following years. In 2006, Ford built the Taurus solely for use in fleets. Production was ended in October.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

This is interesting.. In away it is nice to hear an old nameplate. Buyers have some association with it. Will the Mercury Montego become Sable?

Hey.. they are admitting mistakes.. GM figures changing all the names will help. I am thankful at least Chevy is sticking with its names. You can change a cars image in the market if done the right way. Nissan did it. Stanza became Altima. I still say that if the Intrigue had been called Cutlass and had a bench seat option,it would have sold better from name recognition. And if Aurora had been called Toronado, it would have been a different story too.

And if Aurora had been called Toronado, it would have been a different story too.

Aurora would've made no sense as a Toronado by simple virtue of it being only a 4-door sedan. Yes, I know nameplates have gone back and forth over the years, but remember that the Toronado earned its scratch by being a personal luxury coupe as well as being front-wheel drive.

Now, a sleek Aurora companion? Different story.

As far as this Ford thing, honestly, would it hurt that much? No.

This is a dumb move. The Taurus no longer has a good reputation, it's considered more or less a rental car (which it was). I hope this doesn't mean Ford is going to start dumping Five Hundreds, err, I mean, the new Taurus, into fleets.

Aurora would've made no sense as a Toronado by simple virtue of it being only a 4-door sedan. Yes, I know nameplates have gone back and forth over the years, but remember that the Toronado earned its scratch by being a personal luxury coupe as well as being front-wheel drive.

Now, a sleek Aurora companion? Different story.

Grand Prix used to be just a coupe too. It is now just a sedan about to be replaced by G8. There also is a growing segment for coupe like sedans too.

I think it's a good move, but would have been better to give the Five Hundred the Taurus name from the beginning.

I know that we'll never see another SHO again but at least we can get close. :D

This is a dumb move. The Taurus no longer has a good reputation, it's considered more or less a rental car (which it was). I hope this doesn't mean Ford is going to start dumping Five Hundreds, err, I mean, the new Taurus, into fleets.

Whatever reputation the Taurus has it's better than the 500, WTF is 500. You just don't drop a name after it sells ~7M units.

Whatever reputation the Taurus has it's better than the 500, WTF is 500. You just don't drop a name after it sells ~7M units.

Ford was trying for a retro name with Five Hundred (ala Fairlane 500, Galaxie 500) but it was used too long ago to have any resonance with the market...

The ZETA Chevrolet should be a Cressida!!! Then rename the Cobalt the Vega

and the Buick Lucerne should be called Centurion or Skyhawk....

:soapbox:

1st. I agree the name probably shouldn't have been changed to begin with.

2nd. Since the 500 has been designated as 'bland but competent' by all the automotive press and car buying public at large(see sales #'s for backing) why further tarnish the Taurus image by attaching it to this car? Ford should let this car run for 07 and work on coming out with a much-improved if not totally new model in 08' and THEN bring back the coveted 'taurus' nameplate. Put something new and exciting behind a trustworthy nameplate. Chrysler successfully demonstrated this with the 300. Whether you like it or not, the 300 garnered MANY conquest sales to the brand and that should be the motivation that drives Ford engineers. IMO

:soapbox:

The Fusion is too small to replace the (last generation) Taurus. Size wise, it is comparable to the original Taurus, but the T grew in 1996, the last ones were pretty big cars.

The 2008 Freestyle should be folded into the new Taurus line, "Taurus Sport Wagon"?

What will confuse old timers is that the 2008 Taurus will have a 'large car' price, and also people will ask for rebates.

The 'Five Hundred' name was confused with to much with 300, and people don't remember the old '500' designation for old big Fords. ['500' was used on mid sized Fairlanes/Torinos too] Most remembered is LTD and Galaxie.

The 500 had no reputation, the Taurus has a bad reputation. I'd rather use something with no reputation than something with bad reputation.

Grand Prix used to be just a coupe too. It is now just a sedan about to be replaced by G8. There also is a growing segment for coupe like sedans too.

Yes, but for years it existed simultaneously as a coupe and a sedan. The coupe was dropped in 2003 due to low sales.

The 500 is not evern a name... if it was "Galaxie 500" of "Fairlane 500" then that

might work but just "500" is lame since the number does not mean anything.

The Taurus already has a horrible reputation. All that name makes me think of is

a car who's transmission lasts somewhere between 12K to 60K miles, the head

gasket blows at about 45K & the awkward, ugly FWD proportions & styling make

me think of a pebble you find on a beach.

The ZETA Chevrolet should be a Cressida!!! Then rename the Cobalt the Vega

and the Buick Lucerne should be called Centurion or Skyhawk....

The Cressida was a Toyota. Probably one of the best cars ever made as far as reliability, durability, smoothness, comfort, handling. Toyota sold every one it imported which wasn't very many because it was fairly expensive for it's size. Its main competition, the 810 and then the 810 Maxima, ran a close second with its fuel-injected 240Z engine. But then, you probably already know that;)

Yes, but for years it existed simultaneously as a coupe and a sedan. The coupe was dropped in 2003 due to low sales.

Does not matter. What I said about the Aurora was not a fact. It was opinion. I did not come back to this site to get dragged into a debate with you and Flybrian over a name on a car and about if was coupe or sedan. What I stated was my opinion. It should not be treated as a fact or like I said something I should not have said. This thread is about the Taurus and Five Hundred.

Thank you.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

The Cressida was a Toyota. Probably one of the best cars ever made as far as reliability, durability, smoothness, comfort, handling. Toyota sold every one it imported which wasn't very many because it was fairly expensive for it's size. Its main competition, the 810 and then the 810 Maxima, ran a close second with its fuel-injected 240Z engine. But then, you probably already know that;)

Yeah... just trying to be stupid.

I think that "Taurus" is about as valuable of a name as "Probe". :rolleyes:

Yeah... just trying to be stupid.

I think that "Taurus" is about as valuable of a name as "Probe". :rolleyes:

Taurus was once one of the best selling nameplates in the country. The name change won't matter much today.... but if they make enough improvements to the car, I'll help.

Taurus was once one of the best selling nameplates in the country.

So was Granada, Aspen & Cutlass Cierra but they are not "VALUABLE" names.

Those were also cars that sold like hotcakes because most cars from that era

were even WORSE, not something I want to remember though.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this