The Colorado/Canyon

Im in the market looking for a new truck and last night I test drove a '07 Canyon Crew Cab. Wow that thing was nice. Smooth ride, decent amount of power, and quiet engine. The interior looked pretty good to me. I heard so many complaints about it, but it was nice to me. I also test drove a '07 Frontier. That thing was a piece of garbage. The interior felt cheaper than the canyon with all that hard, cheap plastic. The ride was bumpy. I also noticed in the frontier that when i hit the gas kinda hard, the transmission was searching for gears. That seemed kinda odd to me. The Nissan salesman was in shock when I told him I didnt like it. And was tring to get me into a Titan, but thats way to big for me. Right now im down to either the tacoma or canyon/colorado. The only thing that scares me about the canyon/colorado is the resale value. But other than that the canyon/colorado are very capable trucks. Very underated.

Im in the market looking for a new truck and last night I test drove a '07 Canyon Crew Cab. Wow that thing was nice. Smooth ride, decent amount of power, and quiet engine. The interior looked pretty good to me. I heard so many complaints about it, but it was nice to me. I also test drove a '07 Frontier. That thing was a piece of garbage. The interior felt cheaper than the canyon with all that hard, cheap plastic. The ride was bumpy. I also noticed in the frontier that when i hit the gas kinda hard, the transmission was searching for gears. That seemed kinda odd to me. The Nissan salesman was in shock when I told him I didnt like it. And was tring to get me into a Titan, but thats way to big for me. Right now im down to either the tacoma or canyon/colorado. The only thing that scares me about the canyon/colorado is the resale value. But other than that the canyon/colorado are very capable trucks. Very underated.

Umm. Gotta disagree.

We sell Toyotas, Nissans, Chevy's and Dodge trucks...the Colorado is small, cheaply made and depreciates like it fell off a cliff. Add underpowered and small and you've got yourself a complete guide to these vehicles.

Oh, and they're not too reliable either.

Wait for a certified example with GM's 100k Used Warranty and you'll be alot happier with your purchase, IMO.

Umm. Gotta disagree.

We sell Toyotas, Nissans, Chevy's and Dodge trucks...the Colorado is small, cheaply made and depreciates like it fell off a cliff. Add underpowered and small and you've got yourself a complete guide to these vehicles.

Wait for a certified example with GM's 100k Used Warranty and you'll be alot happier with your purchase, IMO.

Yeah I guess your right. Brand new it goes for about 24 and in a year or two it will probably only go for like 15. The Tacoma has a very high resale value. 01-04 double cab tacomas with under 50k miles still go for about 20. Ill probably just end up getting a Tacoma.

I'm a big GM fan, but the Canyon let me down bigtime. It's almost as if my 1990 Sierra is more substantial than the Canyon/Colorado twins.

The Toyota would be a good pick, but Nissan's Frontier is supposed to be quite a bit better... plus, I'm more likely to pull for Nissan than Toyota. However, both would be very good, capable vehicles.

Hope you find yourself a great truck!

I beg to differ, hehe. They look way better than the tacoma. At least I think so.

I know what you mean. The Tacoma looks kind of 'goony.' Kind of like Stallone after he hit the 'roids.

But overall, it is much better than the Canton/Colorado twins. I'd still pull for the Nissan with the V6, but it sounds as if it had a weird transmission.

Yeah, the transmission in the Nissan was weird. I floored it, then let off the gas, and the transmission felt like it couldnt downshift quick enough in time and was still in 5th gear when it should of been in 1st or 2nd. That was strange to me, being that it only had 5 miles on the odometer.

I found the Colorado perfectly sized. Bigger than an S-10, appreciably smaller than a fullsize. I found my truck to be goodlooking outside, and functional and durable inside. My truck had an MSRP of $26,000 even. That was in 2004. Since then, the prices haven't gone up much. I bought my truck in January of 2004, with my employee discount, for $19k. I just sold it last month for $14,800 with 43k miles. Not a damn thing wrong with it, I just wanted a new toy. I was able to turn a 17.11 second quarter mile at the track after two passes with the 3.5L engine. I was not satisfied with my launches and felt I could have gone into the high 16 second range with a couple more passes. The newer Colorados, with the 3.7L engine, should be noticeably quicker, with more power and torque. For a first-year vehicle, I felt my truck was very reliable. The drivetrain was bulletproof, and I ran the piss out of it.

These are good trucks. Keep them on your list. Take it from a former Colorado owner.

I found the Colorado perfectly sized. Bigger than an S-10, appreciably smaller than a fullsize. I found my truck to be goodlooking outside, and functional and durable inside. My truck had an MSRP of $26,000 even. That was in 2004. Since then, the prices haven't gone up much. I bought my truck in January of 2004, with my employee discount, for $19k. I just sold it last month for $14,800 with 43k miles. Not a damn thing wrong with it, I just wanted a new toy. I was able to turn a 17.11 second quarter mile at the track after two passes with the 3.5L engine. I was not satisfied with my launches and felt I could have gone into the high 16 second range with a couple more passes. The newer Colorados, with the 3.7L engine, should be noticeably quicker, with more power and torque. For a first-year vehicle, I felt my truck was very reliable. The drivetrain was bulletproof, and I ran the piss out of it.

These are good trucks. Keep them on your list. Take it from a former Colorado owner.

Thanks for the advice. How was the gas mileage in your colorado?

Since GM added the graphite interior for 2007, I have warmed to the Colorado much more. Clearly, GM strategizes market by market, but in this (Toronto) market, the Colorado leases out for damned near free. I am looking to finally get my own vehicle when I come back from holidays (I am in /brazil as I type this!) and when I priced out a loaded Vibe on a 4 year lease, versus a loaded 2WD Crew Cab Colorado on a 3 year lease, they were nearly the same payment!

I would personally never buy a car/truck anyway. I would get bored of them too fast, and, for the most part, leasing avoids the harsh reality of resale. Up here, the 3 year residuals are over 50% on the Colorado. Combined with a 0.5% lease rate - well, that is impossible to touch.

Suck that up, Toyota with 5.9%

bigmike, I got anywhere from about 18 to a high tank of 23.4.

Oh ok thats not bad. I thought it would be slightly better since its a 5 banger though. I also seen some 07 colorado crew cabs with the new 4 banger. I wonder how good gas mileage is on the 4 bangers. What do u guys think of the Dakota?

I find it interesting that enzl has yet to justify his statement that Colorados/Canyons are unreliable, or elaborate on his post at all.

On the contrary, ocnblu provided real world experience with his Colorado that he owned new since January 2004. His experience was nothing but good. Good size, durable, solid performance, and very reliable the time in which he owned it. $15k for a 3 year old truck with 43k miles surely isn't Toyota level resale, but it's not as terrible as some (enzl) would make it out to be.

I'll take actual knowledge based on ownership over random commentary any day.

On another note, what does GM have for plans for these trucks? They obviously have been getting knocked for their size, and maybe rightfully so -- Tacoma, Dakota, and Frontier have really grown into "midsize" pickups. I happen to like the size of the Chevy/GMC twins but apparently the compact pickup market has died.

In any case, I love the styling of the trucks and have since they came out. I never really thought there was anything wrong with them at all. They fixed everything that was wrong with the S-10/Sonoma but in the end, the segment changed and left them behind.

I have always thought it was a waste for GM not to use the 4.2 I6 in more vehicles. The 3.5(3.7)/4 speed is just not competitive at all anymore.

I think GM has what they need to build a truly competitive midsize pickup. They never screw up the styling of their pickups, they have PLENTY of engine choices (4.2, which is a good engine to begin with, and could be hugely improved with some attention; 3.6 and it's many variations; 3.7; and 2.9), and the 6 speed is slowly making its way into everything.

It's too bad their current financial situation limits them to focusing only on so many segments at once.

Edited by bcs296

I find it interesting that enzl has yet to justify his statement that Colorados/Canyons are unreliable, or elaborate on his post at all.

On the contrary, ocnblu provided real world experience with his Colorado that he owned new since January 2004. His experience was nothing but good. Good size, durable, solid performance, and very reliable the time in which he owned it. $15k for a 3 year old truck with 43k miles surely isn't Toyota level resale, but it's not as terrible as some (enzl) would make it out to be.

I'll take actual knowledge based on ownership over random commentary any day.

First, I'll address, for the upteenth time, that anecdotal evidence (ie first hand experience or a 'story') is a sampling of ONE....no statistical or logical inference can be drawn from it.

Second, as I have a job that occassionally requires my attention, I just haven't had a chance to post...please feel free to contact me personally through the site if you have a pressing need...

Third, I work for an auto retailer....we have 15 franchises between parent, subsidiary and affiliated co.s'....Our largest retailer is our Chevy store...

Someone above noted that the early build C/C twins were problematic...that is true, based on the extensive warranty costs associated with the few units we've put on the road...if you need some independent info, here you go:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/ty...t_pickup_trucks

Consumer reports sez bottom of the barrel.

Additionally, if you took the time to look at any of my postings, you would have known that I'm in the industry and know a little more than the average poster...the C/C twins are poster children for pre-Lutz bone head moves, IMO. Too small, cheap and flat out not competitive is not a way to enter a vicious marketplace.

I've had extensive seat time in it and its competition. It's just not what GM should be doing with their resources. The best thing I can say about the C/C's is that the H3 they share a factory with is minting money for GM.

Edited by enzl

Umm. Gotta disagree.

and Toyotas are well made and durrable?

.....Dodges are reliable and have good resale??? Are you kidding?

Personally I think the ranger is the best small pick up out there.

And Consumer Reports is not the best source.

Also I think most of us know as much as you do about the Industry because its our hobby. Its not like this is a extreme Ironing Board. I have only sat in a Colorado so there for i really cant give advice. But Kevin from work has one and he loves it Its pretty good at towing a trailer, 4wd'ing, and it takes wear good.

and Toyotas are well made and durrable?

.....Dodges are reliable and have good resale??? Are you kidding?

Just pointing out that I'm familiar with the competition. Not trying to sell anybody on anything in particular.

And yes, the Toyota Tacoma, with its flaws, is more reliable and a better truck than the C/C's. It'll be worth something in 3 years and is, quite frankly, a much more functional piece than the C/C's.

Quite a few magazines have Tacomas in long-term tests right now, coincidentally. And the reviews are not all wine and roses. Just about every report I've read indicates a warrantable problem or two or three with the test trucks.

I wouldn't trust Consumer Reports to make the decision for me to buy toothpaste, let alone a vehicle.

enzl, do you work in warranty adminstration at these dealerships?

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/ty...t_pickup_trucks

Consumer reports sez bottom of the barrel.

You have to be kidding me, right? With your credentials, I am surprised you would look to CR as a credible source of information.

GM could hand build a vehicle completely from titanium that never needed any maintenance and ran for 500,000 miles and CR would still take a nice, stinky dump all over it.

Toyota could build a vehicle out of popsicle sticks, Elmer's glue, and paperclips and CR would announce that finally, Toyota had recreated God's own Chariot.

Out of curiosity, what do Colorados/Canyons typcially come in to be serviced for?

Edited by bcs296

The Ranger is too outdated to take seriously, IMHO...the Colorado/Canyon seem cheap inside..I'm not a truck fan, but if I were looking at smallish trucks, I'd probably go with the Tacoma..seems the nicest inside and out..

The Ranger is too outdated to take seriously, IMHO...the Colorado/Canyon seem cheap inside..I'm not a truck fan, but if I were looking at smallish trucks, I'd probably go with the Tacoma..seems the nicest inside and out..

To me I think the interior in the colorado/canyon is decent. Its not Tacoma territory, but its not bad at all. It looks and feels better than the frontier or dakota's interior. At least I think so.

Quite a few magazines have Tacomas in long-term tests right now, coincidentally. And the reviews are not all wine and roses. Just about every report I've read indicates a warrantable problem or two or three with the test trucks.

I wouldn't trust Consumer Reports to make the decision for me to buy toothpaste, let alone a vehicle.

enzl, do you work in warranty adminstration at these dealerships?

Not directly. I do supervise the accounting function and the parts inventory is done to cross reference warranty work monthly, so I have a pretty good idea of what is coming and going.

I grabbed CR because it was there...I'm not holding it as gospel, just as a sampling...

Additionally, We can't give away the Colorado's in stock. And the ones I've used haven't impressed, either ---so its the trifecta product-wise.

You have to be kidding me, right? With your credentials, I am surprised you would look to CR as a credible source of information.

GM could hand build a vehicle completely from titanium that never needed any maintenance and ran for 500,000 miles and CR would still take a nice, stinky dump all over it.

Toyota could build a vehicle out of popsicle sticks, Elmer's glue, and paperclips and CR would announce that finally, Toyota had recreated God's own Chariot.

Out of curiosity, what do Colorados/Canyons typcially come in to be serviced for?

Generally, NVH related complaints...had a couple with rusting welds that I haven't seen on a modern vehicle in years.

The tranny/4wd transfer case was probably the largest serious problem area....

While CR clearly jocks Toyota, I'm not suggesting the Tacoma is gold, just better than the best GM has put forth.

With only a couple/month going out, I can't say that my sampling is scientific or representative, but the decisions to develop a small vehicle in a class that is growing in size, the lack of a V6 option and some real rental grade materials makes it tough to sell a near 30k truck, in its decked out form. If you really believe this is a 'best effort' by GM, than I can't help...if you believe that GM has the capacity to do much better, I'm with you. Part of Toyota's success is that the Camry in the showroom has a truck counterpart that exhibits similar quality, class equalling features and some clever bits that make the consumer believe Toyota is listening. The C/C twins make the customer believe that the other offerings may be rental grade as well. A company is only as good as its worst product, not its best. Anyone can cherry pick a great product in a line-up. Noone has the middle market lined up in their crosshairs more accurately than Toyota, period.

Uh, rusting welds? Preposterous. Yes, fullsize GM trucks and the previous S-10s had their frames dipped in black goo, and the GMT355 has a painted frame, but are you sure what you're seeing isn't just the medium used in the welding process? I believe the painted frame is a trait passed down from Isuzu in the GMT355 development process and all other import-brand pickups. And I have seen a new-style Tacoma parked around back at the local Toyopet dealership with 11k miles and lots of surface rust at the license plate pocket on the chrome rear bumper. Edited by ocnblu

Uh, rusting welds? Preposterous. Yes, fullsize GM trucks and the previous S-10s had their frames dipped in black goo, and the GMT355 has a painted frame, but are you sure what you're seeing isn't just the medium used in the welding process? I believe the painted frame is a trait passed down from Isuzu in the GMT355 development process and all other import-brand pickups. And I have seen a new-style Tacoma parked around back at the local Toyopet dealership with 11k miles and lots of surface rust at the license plate pocket on the chrome rear bumper.

Nah. Weird complaint, agreed, but appeared to be a paint issue, not necessarily a weld issue...remember, these are reported complaints, all of which go back to GM because time is spent investigating (lift time, etc.) You are 100% right that it shouldn't happen...like I said, the sampling is small. as we do not sell many of these models.