Sign in to follow this  
Drew Dowdell

There goes the Montego....

Next Up, Sable: Mercury to Rename Montego

We first heard this morning about Ford renaming the Five Hundred sedan after the more popular Taurus it replaced a few years ago. Now, we learn from the Chicago Tribune’s Jim Mateja that not only will the Taurus name be brought back, but so will the Mercury Sable, the “new” name of that brand’s version of the Five Hundred, the Montego. The official announcements and introductions will come tomorrow during the first media day of the Chicago Auto Show. Both the Five Hundred and Montego are built in Chicago. Link to Kicking Tires

Big surprise here.

But, at least Montego is a name and sounds nice, not something ridiculous like a number (500) that was used too long ago to connect with today's consumers. Chrysler's 300 nameplate is much storied and remembered.

What happened to Mercuries starting with M's? Mariner, Milan, Montego, Moutaineer, Marquis. Dumb move because "Sable" has a bad reputation.

I guess it's just another nail in the coffin...

Big surprise here.

But, at least Montego is a name and sounds nice, not something ridiculous like a number (500) that was used too long ago to connect with today's consumers. Chrysler's 300 nameplate is much storied and remembered.

Montego was also a Mercury midsize nameplate long ago, but probably doesn't connect w/ today's consumers either...

Montego was also a Mercury midsize nameplate long ago, but probably doesn't connect w/ today's consumers either...

And Sable does...?

Ugh. The stupidity continues...

I doubt it... why would they do such a thing when the refreshed Montego isn't going to be shown at Chicago, I think its a writer assuming on the account of the name change of the 500, just does not make any sense all M's one S?? I hated the Sable too.

And Sable does...?

Well, it was used for the last 20 years like the Taurus name was..people still drive Sables.. I'm sure it still has some brand equity...

Ford needs to pick a name and stick with it...this is like the idiocy at Lincoln with the MKZ and Zephyr. IMO, changing the name won't help as much as making it desireable and thoroughly competitive would.

A continuation of the big, sweeping changes by Mullaly:

"Let's change the names of these products to those of the past, specifically, names that have associations with boring, staid, and subpar. After all, a name CAN save a product, right Freestar?"

Ugh. The stupidity continues...

I know if Buick suddenly changed their current cars back to "Regal/Century/LeSabre/PA" some on C&G would do back flips of joy. Chevy successfully re-named the Lumina to Impala when their W body was re-done for MY 2000. So I'd say this is far from "stupidity".

Edited by Chicagoland

What happened to Mercuries starting with M's? Mariner, Milan, Montego, Moutaineer, Marquis. Dumb move because "Sable" has a bad reputation.

Well, looks like the silly all m's and f's names on the way out, the product planner who did created this long gone.

The Sable never had a 'bad' rep, to former owners. Montego was too confused with the other M's.

I don't think it's another nail in the coffin but I was fond of the all-'M' lineup. It was starting to create a link to the brand, IMO.

The Montego name sounded so effeminate. It always made me think of guys with puffy sleeves dancing to samba music. Mercury does not need to start all of the car names with "M", it really was a stupid idea. I like the days when all of the Mercury cars were cats.

Also, Lincoln should revisit their whole MK naming fiasco. They should have a car named Mark whatever but they should keep the Continental, Town Car, Zephyr and other interesting names.

the old Montego was never as memorable as its Ford twin the Torino. And, the Cyclone is even more revered. But, atl least they didn't call it Cougar!

Too many M names confused buyers, especially those that don't read car sites every day.

I like the Montego name. Seems so much classier than Sable. Same for Milan.

I liked the Montego name because I remember the 1970's cars. But the Sable name was more recent, and hopefully Mercury can sell about 40,000 of them a year.

Not sure if changing the Montego name was needed as much, but definitely the change back to Taurus is much more welcome. People on here seem to equate the Taurus name as a bad thing, but it has a lot of brand equity with consumers...I know a number of people who bought multiple Tauruses because they saw them as good cars with good value.

The 1970s Montegos were pretty cool, IMO.

Coming up next...the 2009 Mercury Moron!

No, the 2008 Mercury "Mistress." :lol:

I liked the Montego name because I remember the 1970's cars. But the Sable name was more recent, and hopefully Mercury can sell about 40,000 of them a year.

I actually saw an old Montego sedan a couple of weeks ago...a white '73 4dr.. I hadn't seen one of those in years...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook