What is your next car purchase? revisited...

intrigued

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moltar, I am kinda jealous of that big merc...when did you pick her up?

Chris

They came with the house--'84 Merc 500SEL sedan (silver, dk blue interior) and a '91 300CE hardtop coupe (bright red, black interior). Since I've been renting my sister's house in Phoenix since April, I've been taking care of her dogs and her cars while she works in Ohio.

Hmm, one of these, just can't make up my mind. Cadillac CTS wagon, Cadillac BLS wagon or a Saab 9 3 wagon.

have to say, i really like the BLS wagon, wish i could get one here.

i am waiting for more price adjustment on the astra cause i would love to drive one for a couple years. twin panel roof, 5 speed, all of that. if that doesn't happen i'll wait a bit.

if i had more $$$$ i'd just go get a Flex. 010 taurus and fusion/milan have piqued my interest now.

And i could succumb to the SUV urge again with cheaper gas and just get a cheap used Endeavor to drive for a couple years. Lots of room, lots of warranty, easy to find a virtually new one cheap.

Probably might drive a Versa tomorrow. Always been curious on that car. I should drive a Fit too, if I can find one.

Satty, has your wife seen the SX4 crossover? My neighbor who owns the SSR when they bought recently, looked at the Mini and then got the SX4. they liked the SX4 a lot, and saved a buttload of money.

Edited by regfootball

Wow, I pay a thou a year to insure two cars full coverage, including rental car coverage.

I forgot you cannuks paid that much for ins.

Chris

Ya for full coverage on the G5 I'm currently paying 5500$/yr... a G6 would be about the same, but an Impala would be 4200$/yr

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Ya for full coverage on the G5 I'm currently paying 5500$/yr... a G5 would be about the same, but an Impala would be 4200$/yr

Daymn....that's OUTRAGEOUS. I think the most I ever paid for full coverage was about $1600/yr for 2 cars ( Mustang GT, Bronco II) but that was when I was 24 and the cars were each 6 years old..

Daymn....that's OUTRAGEOUS. I think the most I ever paid for full coverage was about $1600/yr for 2 cars ( Mustang GT, Bronco II) but that was when I was 24 and the cars were each 6 years old..

Alberta is funny that way, I'm 18, I'm male, I drive a compact car. Waterloo Insurance and the Province of Alberta neither know nor care that I baby my car and drive like a cautious mature gentleman. I'm lucky that it isn't red because red would cost me a couple hundred more a year.

The insurance pricing is frozen because it kept going up and up and up, so I'm isolated from rate increases for a few years yet. Once you turn 19 about 1000$ gets lopped off your insurance costs regardless of what you drive but you don't pay a normal insurance cost until you're 30.

Edited by vonVeezelsnider

Ya for full coverage on the G5 I'm currently paying 5500$/yr... a G6 would be about the same, but an Impala would be 4200$/yr

*raises eyebrow*

Oh my goodness. I'm paying ~$3200 a year ... on FIVE Monte Carlos, not just one car. Aye.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...& now an uncle!

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"You got to roll with the punches" ... Van Halen ... 'Jump'

Alberta is funny that way, I'm 18, I'm male, I drive a compact car. Waterloo Insurance and the Province of Alberta neither know nor care that I baby my car and drive like a cautious mature gentleman. I'm lucky that it isn't red because red would cost me a couple hundred more a year.

The insurance pricing is frozen because it kept going up and up and up, so I'm isolated from rate increases for a few years yet. Once you turn 19 about 1000$ gets lopped off your insurance costs regardless of what you drive but you don't pay a normal insurance cost until you're 30.

Not sure how it is in the States these days, but I know after 25 it used to drop if you have a good record. I'm sure my insurance would have been outrageous for my car at that age--I got my red, V8 Mustang GT new when I was 17--but we kept the car in my Dad's name and on his-multi car policy until I was 24. (Insurance for a 70 yr old w/ 6 cars was pretty low, apparently).

Edited by moltar

Not sure how it is in the States these days, but I know after 25 it used to drop if you have a good record. I'm sure my insurance would have been outrageous for my car at that age--I got my red, V8 Mustang GT new when I was 17--but we kept the car in my Dad's name and on his-multi car policy until I was 24. (Insurance for a 70 yr old w/ 6 cars was pretty low, apparently).

Oh the car is on my Dad's policy and the title in his name too... if I didn't do that I'd be paying even MORE. :smilewide:

Funny part is insuring me on a 2008 Impala would cost around 4200$, but my dad's 07 Impala costs him 658$

I got a massive cut in my insurance after my son was born. I should get a smaller drop next year when I turn 25. Then in 2010, the accident amendment falls off, so I get another cut. Then sometime after that I get married, which should be another cut. And right now its only about $400/year for the LeSabre. The Prius is with a different company, and she had all kinds of wacky discounts, so it ends up being about $80/month.

If we needed a new car and had to fit an $18-20k budget for it, the SX4 would be on the list, it cant be worse than the Aerio, but my big concern is that the Mitsubishi/VW/Porsche/Suzuki kicked Suzuki off their lot, now they're sold from an abandoned gas station. That would make me nervous when it comes to future warranty repairs and such, if the brand is so un-important that the dealer relegates them to a $h!hole down the street, how long until they drop the brand and quit honoring warranties? Luckily, this isn't a need situation, its a want situation and she definately wants a Mini.

That 47 CJ speaks to me also. :)

Satty:

For what it's worth, after Nissan/Infiniti Suzuki is my favorite

Japanese car manufacturer... maybe you remember when I

mentioned it when I worked t the big Automotive group last

year... they had Chevrolet & Cadillac where I worked & then

across the street they had A Suzuki, Hyundai & Mitshubishi

dealership. Their warranty and initial quality was impressive,

I loved the Grand Viara, it's the LAST TRUE MINI-SUV still on

the market... built like a mini Cherokee, THICK unibody "rails"

resembling a truck frame, no "car based" pussifiation and you

can even get a 5-speed manual.

The SX4, while not my cup of tea is a FAR better value than

the Civic/Corolla/Versa crapboxes.

Edited by Sixty8panther

They came with the house--'84 Merc 500SEL sedan (silver, dk blue interior) and a '91 300CE hardtop coupe (bright red, black interior). Since I've been renting my sister's house in Phoenix since April, I've been taking care of her dogs and her cars while she works in Ohio.

Can we have photos of the Benz's? I love those big cars, so they came with your house or your sisters I am a little mixed up. Either way they are sweet a$$ cars.

Edited by gm4life

Can we have photos of the Benz's? I love those big cars, so they came with your house or your sisters I am a little mixed up. Either way they are sweet a$$ cars.

It's my sister's house in Phoenix and her cars... I'm renting her house, taking care of her cars and dogs while she works in Ohio (flies back and forth every couple of weeks, trusts family more than the dog sitter and 3 ex-husbands she had previously). I'm renting out my condo in Denver to a friend currently..

They drive great even with a lot of miles (the 500SEL has over 176k, the 300CE over 124k).

Here's a pic of the 500SEL...I can't find one of the 300CE right now.

mercslc1-vi.jpg

mercslc2-vi.jpg

That 47 CJ speaks to me also. :)

Satty:

For what it's worth, after Nissan/Infiniti Suzuki is my favorite

Japanese car manufacturer... maybe you remember when I

mentioned it when I worked t the big Automotive group last

year... they had Chevrolet & Cadillac where I worked & then

across the street they had A Suzuki, Hyundai & Mitshubishi

dealership. Their warranty and initial quality was impressive,

I loved the Grand Viara, it's the LAST TRUE MINI-SUV still on

the market... built like a mini Cherokee, THICK unibody "rails"

resembling a truck frame, no "car based" pussifiation and you

can even get a 5-speed manual.

The SX4, while not my cup of tea is a FAR better value than

the Civic/Corolla/Versa crapboxes.

today again i drove the astra (again). but also the versa for the first time and the SX4 for the second time again.

confirming what i already profess, the SX4 is a pretty nice drive. The front windows and a little lack of heft are the only bizarro thing about it. even with steel wheels it rides and drives nicely. very good clutch and shifter. they added folding seat and armrest on the sedan for this year. Very nice car.

i was terribly underwhelmed by the versa. it feels cheap. the shifter is hard to work, the clutch is ok. the engine noise is a bit much even in 6th. It buzzy, not refined. cheap plastic. seat not comfy. tinny.

avoid. not suitable if you want anything that feels quality.

love the astra. the heft of the doors closing, the steering feel, the nice shifter knob. supportive well constructed seats. nice gauges. really, not given enough credit.

Edited by regfootball

Reg, of those to me the only choice is the Astra. And while I respect 68 hugely, I disagree with him on most Nissan products. The Versa is just a terrible car, well behind the Fit, Astra, Cobalt, Focus, etc.

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

The Astra has too many negatives for me. Horrible outward visibility with the 3-door, and the 5-door is too plain looking. The Cooper also has more front headroom. And its also a lot cooler.

I love the Astra, but the Mini is much more fun-to-drive.

Nissan OVERALL is a decent brand... but I never said ANYTHING positive about the versa.... EVER.

The Versa is a frog sh!tbox. I agree S66... the Ford, Sat-pel, Chevy & Honda are all better buys.

If were talking about respecting some of Nissans earlier efforts (like your old Nissan, which I thought was cool) I can handle that.

Sadly, Nissan, like most other Japanese makes, seems to ahve lost its way.

At least Nissan isn't building anything quite as horrendous as the Ridgeline...

Chris

It's my sister's house in Phoenix and her cars... I'm renting her house, taking care of her cars and dogs while she works in Ohio (flies back and forth every couple of weeks, trusts family more than the dog sitter and 3 ex-husbands she had previously). I'm renting out my condo in Denver to a friend currently..

They drive great even with a lot of miles (the 500SEL has over 176k, the 300CE over 124k).

Here's a pic of the 500SEL...I can't find one of the 300CE right now.

mercslc1-vi.jpg

mercslc2-vi.jpg

Thanks for the photographs those Old Benz's are very cool.

Reg, of those to me the only choice is the Astra. And while I respect 68 hugely, I disagree with him on most Nissan products. The Versa is just a terrible car, well behind the Fit, Astra, Cobalt, Focus, etc.

Chris

cobalt is even better than versa. the astra has a tactility to it that is subtle and most folks don't look for or 'get'. it's 'all of a piece'. people focus on cupholders. yet, they don't get that the manual shift knob and steering wheel feel beautiful to the touch and just perfect.

Open and close the doors on the astra and then do it on other compacts. you'll know what i mean.

only VW has this subtlety down. the impreza is a nicely made car but still has the asian ambience (i.e. yuk). plus, the impreza is not smooth.

the focus is pleasant and capable, but not as hefty as the astra and vw. the cobalt is solid and lively, only being let down by being dated and having some interior cheapness.

the versa is terrible. huge let down. i refuse to even try a civic although i may try a fit. the sx4 is a nice little surprise.

i might try the lancer.

The Astra has too many negatives for me. Horrible outward visibility with the 3-door, and the 5-door is too plain looking. The Cooper also has more front headroom. And its also a lot cooler.

the 5 door astra has more headroom than the 3 door in front. the cooper is 'cooler' however you pay a lot more for that cool.

compare apples to apples, an astra xe / cloth vs a base mini. compare them loaded with all applicable rebates. there is a couple nice vacations in there included if you get the astra. being cool has a price.

Satty I would never get a Tundra, but the Titan is a pretty good truck actually. I know someone with one, it saved him from a Tundra.

I've really never been a truck fan or had a need for one, but I do have a soft spot for the mid-to-late '70s Chevy shortbed stepsides. And 'burbans of the '73-91 era.

+1 on the shortbed stepside deal. I remember as a kid James Garner used to play Rockford on TV and his TV dad drove one that looked cool.

We used to ahve a really nice one in the landscaping company I worked for going through college...but 5 years of plowing snow and 5 Indiana winters took their toll on it.

And to carry on discussion of the Astra, it has to be the under-rated car of the decade. It is a huge seller in Europe for a reason.

But I digress...I still want a Cooper, yes it is more expensive...but...

Chris

I cant say that I'd buy an Astra 5-door under any circumstance. I could be convinced to get a 3-door, even with the depressing interior, subpar radio with awkward display and complete lack of interior storage. I realize the Cooper also has no interior storage and the center speedometer is a pain to read, but it is so much cooler and has a far more inviting interior with more than one color choice.

Edited by Satty

An Astra 5 door would make a good, boring family car...and it would be a better 'family" car than a Cobalt methinks.

i also think given how badly the Astra has tanked you should be able to buy one in about two years with very low miles for about the price of a good pair of roller skates.

Chris/66

Given the way things are going right now...the three of us left working in the lower 48 can carpool in the Astra to Wendy's...only to find out we've lost our job to illegal aliens.

Chris

I cant say that I'd buy an Astra 5-door under any circumstance. I could be convinced to get a 3-door, even with the depressing interior, subpar radio with awkward display and complete lack of interior storage. I realize the Cooper also has no interior storage and the center speedometer is a pain to read, but it is so much cooler and has a far more inviting interior with more than one color choice.

the advanced audio that is optional has tremendous sound.

there is a compnay in europe that is putting out an aftermarket radio soon for VW's and Opels, that has all the goodies, nav, SD, USB, large screen, and matches the factory aesthetic. when that becomes available its plug and play I guess and full integration with the OEM car electronics. Even the silver color in the Vectra and Astra and the same knobs and swtiches.

I don't dispute the Mini's cool factor, nor its performance, nor interior accoutrements. Myself personally if I am going to spend more, then i want a larger car. I actually like the C30 a lot and would get that over a mini too. The Mini to me spells 'fad' in a major way, and I really have no desire to drive something that sorority chicks and the jet set drive, only because its cool. I would just get say, an 010 Fusion 6 speed with the powertrain and interior updates for the same price as a mini and know that the mini is more fun but the fusion is a more useful buy at the price.

Really one tilting factor that makes the Astra on my to do list for a small vehicle is the twin panel sunroof. The jetta wagon and a handful of other cars have this as well. Does the mini have a sunroof option? Lots of small cars don't have the sunroof option.

I cant go into specifics, but it involves invading Canada.

Now Now, Be Nice. But if you must, remember you'll need a leader of a puppet provisional government :smilewide: (*hint*)

Meanwhile, on my end it looks like the field has changed a bit.

Should my dealer come through like it would seem they will, the G6 is still on the table but I think the Impala is out (prices on them just went up at our dealer), but they're selling Grand Prixs now for the same price as the G6, so a GP is not out of the question at this point either (I guess I'd have to drive both of them and decide). In terms of colors my color choices on the G6 are either Blue-Gold Crystal or Dark Steel Gray (I'd prefer the Gray). On the Grand Prix my choices are Midnight Blue or Silver, I think the Silver is a color more suited to me but I'd not be opposed to getting the blue as I think it hides some of the GPs subtle styling blunders IMO.

I've got a cunning plan in case the worst case scenario comes true. I cant go into specifics, but it involves invading Canada.

Why not invade France...it's warmer, and you won't have to worry about them defending themselves.

Chris

Now Now, Be Nice. But if you must, remember you'll need a leader of a puppet provisional government :smilewide: (*hint*)

Meanwhile, on my end it looks like the field has changed a bit.

Should my dealer come through like it would seem they will, the G6 is still on the table but I think the Impala is out (prices on them just went up at our dealer), but they're selling Grand Prixs now for the same price as the G6, so a GP is not out of the question at this point either (I guess I'd have to drive both of them and decide). In terms of colors my color choices on the G6 are either Blue-Gold Crystal or Dark Steel Gray (I'd prefer the Gray). On the Grand Prix my choices are Midnight Blue or Silver, I think the Silver is a color more suited to me but I'd not be opposed to getting the blue as I think it hides some of the GPs subtle styling blunders IMO.

IMHO, Grey G6 FTW, BTW.

The Tundra isn't nearly as bad as people on C&G make it out to be.

The tailgates suck. They will fold in half under any amount of weight. If you don't ever plan to use it as a truck or take it off road they are great trucks. Toyota should have advertised them as mall cruisers.

I don't know what the f**k is up with Toyota trucks. My mom has an 05 taco double cab short bed 4x4 and it has about 110k miles on it and the thing is parked out front because the frame cracked on it by the left motor mount. :angry: The tailgate on it also folded with like 180lbs on the tailgate. :closedeyes: It's sad my mom's 94 Camry out lived the truck.

Don't press your luck by trying it twice.

Tundra is just junk, it is Toyota's worst product in recent memory.

The Tundra is total junk. Sorry a bad tailgate, snapping cam-shafts, torque converter problems, sup-par interior even Toyota can't find a way to defend it.

Edited by gm4life