Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

FORD TAURUS, TAURUS X, MERCURY SABLE RETURN AS UPGRADED 2008-MODELS DEBUT THIS SUMMER

18 posts in this topic

Post form another source online:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...mp;#entry140279

FORD TAURUS, TAURUS X, MERCURY SABLE RETURN AS UPGRADED 2008-MODELS DEBUT THIS SUMMER

CHICAGO, Feb. 7, 2007 – Ford Motor Company today announced it is bringing back the well-known Ford Taurus name, introducing a new name – Taurus X – for its three-row crossover and returning the Mercury Sable to the lineup as upgraded 2008-model versions of all three vehicles go on sale this summer.

“Taurus has been an icon for Ford’s family sedan for more than two decades, and it’s time to return this powerful name to where it belongs,” said Mark Fields, Ford’s President of The Americas, at the Chicago Auto Show. “Consumer awareness of the Taurus name is double the Five Hundred that it’s replacing, and awareness of Sable is triple that of Montego.

“By giving these vehicles the names that consumers recognize at the same time we’re making significant upgrades, we’re confident that even more people are going to be attracted to these great products in the future,” Fields added.

The 2008-model Taurus sedan will go on sale this summer, replacing the Ford Five Hundred. The new Taurus features a Ford Fusion-inspired exterior design, a new powertrain with 60 more horsepower, a new all-wheel-drive system, more standard safety features – including standard electronic stability control – and other refinements to make it more distinctive, quieter, faster and safer.

The 2008-model Taurus X crossover will go on sale late this summer – replacing the Ford Freestyle – with the same design, powertrain and safety upgrades, as well as three row of seats, one-touch flip-and-fold second-row seating and an available power rear liftgate.

Taurus:

Posted Image

Taurus X:

Posted Image

Mercury Sable:

Posted Image

press releases:

2008 Ford Taurus

2008 Ford Taurus X

2008 Mercury Sable

That is the quickest I have ever seen a car be dropped from the market and be returned back. Good for Ford and Mercury. Too bad GM did not do that with Oldsmobile when they saw it was not working..

I hope Ford can make a go of it and be successful. The guy made a valid point. They have name recognition. They look better than what came before. If they succeed, this may lead to a better redesign. You have got to start somewhere.

caddycruiser    50

This story is burning around on the internet, and I actually thought it was a joke where I first read it...but, wow, this will be interesting.

And dear god does that "Sable" look worse than ever with the same awkward proportions and awful wheels...but at least the "Taurus X" looks sharper than before.

But, boy, is Ford ever pushing it changing MORE vehicle names just after introductions not long ago.

big blue    1

Taurus X looks pretty good actually, I don't mind the freestyle name going away either. Sable's back too eh? That Montego/Sable still looks pretty un-bold in my eyes.

NOS2006    11

Taurus X: :lol::stupid::blink: :rotflmao:

Could they have thought of a worse name?

If this thing's a rockin'....

Croc    268

Honestly, I think the new Sable looks great. I still wanna see a better rear shot, though. I liked the Montego name, but Sable had a lot more brand equity.

The Lambdas are still nicer than the Freestyle/Taurus X/whatever the hell it'll be called, but this refresh isn't all that bad. The Montego/Sable's nice as well, but now it just resembles a plus-size Milan w/a huge greenhouse.

The Lambdas are still nicer than the Freestyle/Taurus X/whatever the hell it'll be called, but this refresh isn't all that bad. The Montego/Sable's nice as well, but now it just resembles a plus-size Milan w/a huge greenhouse.

I don't think the Freestyle/Taurus X is a Lambda competitor--the Equinox/Torrent are closer in size..the Lambdas are huge.

The Five Hundred/Sable should do a good job in the full-size FWD market, being much fresher than the old Ws..

Chicagoland    2

? It looks similar.

Anyway, using names people recognize, instead of all F's and M's, will work better.

It's funny, most here on C&G cry when GM drops an old name and demand it back. Ford does it, and it's called "stupidity" and "another coffin nail".

daves87rs    326

? It looks similar.

Anyway, using names people recognize, instead of all F's and M's, will work better.

It's funny, most here on C&G cry when GM drops an old name and demand it back. Ford does it, and it's called "stupidity" and "another coffin nail".

I have to agree with ya on that one.

It can't hurt either way, at this point, Ford needs to do whatever it takes to give their customers a warm and fuzzing feeling..

I'm surprised at how many people are happy about it...(positive glow on the news)....

Who knows....