Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

FIRST LOOK: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Pontiac G8 Design  

248 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like the new G8?

• 5 - WOW! Incredible! Be still my beating heart...
    • 4 - Really great! But...
    • 3 - Average. A decent car indeed.
    • 2 - Uhh, not so much. Needs lots of TLC.
    • 1 - Puke-o-Rama! Ugh! Worse than the Grand Am!

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the old logo better. This one looks as if someone used something to try to pry the logo off from the top, end up cracking it and snapping the red reflective piece off.

They also reversed the placement of the G8 and GT badges. Now the car reads GT Pontiac G8.

Edited by ToniCipriani

love everything. again, finally a useable dash like then GMT-900's and new CTS.

i LOVE how it's an import, and doesn't have that STUPID airbag indicator light on the dash. weeeee!

does anyone else think the GT and G8 are on the wrong sides? It just doesn't look right. And I'd want "pontiac" removed from the rear

Edited by jbartley

Drop the steering wheel and the brightwork, and we have a winner.

ETA: Doesn't need badges for trim or the word Pontiac either.

Edited by LosAngeles

Nice car overall, but I'll pay $2000 to get rid of those hippopotamus nostrils. Hopefully the V6 car wouldn't have the nostrils so it'll be easy to get a body shop to do a hood swap.

Pontiac had it all nice a tight with the G6 and the Solstice. The final G6 GXP was a horrendously ugly thing even though a previous "Orange" rendition was very nice. Now it seems... they want to extend the Nostril stupidity to more cars. Sigh...

Edited by dwightlooi

Simply stunning. I'm giving this an A+ now. This thing looks like an Acura and in the best possible way: athletic, sporty, understated, classy...everything a Pontiac should be. My only qualm is the straight-on shot that makes the front look like an Aztek...but that's a poor photo, not a bad design on the car. Interior: A+

GM finally gets it?

...... My only qualm is the straight-on shot that makes the front look like an Aztek...but that's a poor photo, not a bad design on the car......

Yeah, it does look bolt upright in that shot.. but as you say, I think it's the photo. Top notch- not too much style but just enough to gove it an sense of menace. :yes:

A well done job.

As for the scoops I could do with or without but it is not that big of a deal. I just hope they are opened up and not fake as they are on the G6 GXP.

As for the wheels I like them but 19's should look fine I just hope they are better than the present GP wheels.

For all those who have their reservations on Lutz. I wonder if they are chnaging their minds now. I can't remember a time this many new cars from GM with so much positive being said about them. Read the non GM sites and almost everyone has something good to say about this car so far. That is just something that did not happen over the last 30 years.

Just think we have anywhere from 2-4 [Camaro, Impala, El Camino? Buick?]more cars coming from down under and I can't wait to see what they did to them.

Nice car overall, but I'll pay $2000 to get rid of those hippopotamus nostrils. Hopefully the V6 car wouldn't have the nostrils so it'll be easy to get a body shop to do a hood swap.

OK, this is getting weird....

If one is a Pontiac fan, you could never be mad at the hood "nostrils" if they were functioning RAM AIR!!

I doubt that will be on V6 cars...

No red dash lights? Are we steering away from that? Seems a little odd to have all the lights red except for the instrument cluster. I have to see it at night to see what it looks like. Not unless some other maker is already doing this with some other car that you guys know of.

Yeah, it does look bolt upright in that shot.. but as you say, I think it's the photo. Top notch- not too much style but just enough to gove it an sense of menace. :yes:

As it should be.

I was leaning toward a '5' in the poll, but I ended up voting '4' because I'd love to see a manual option to go with the V6. There's a V6+6sp combination availabe in Australia (click here), so why not make it available in the US even if the manual becomes the extra-cost option?

Edited by ZL-1

Personally, I like the car. Not overly excited about it, but it looks good. I like the new logo and the overall design, but I would REALLY like to see a two door version come about. That way I could work towards replacing my Monte Carlo.

Maybe its the pictures, but it seems to be the same size as the Malibu and CTS, not the Impala or Monte. Is it just me?

Will have to wait for real world contact at my local dealer.

Could this also be a possible platform for a new Impala SS?

I'm liking the updated logo. I hope the leather dash inserts remain on the production model... at least as an option, please!

The show car also features some unique items not found on the production model, including:

Concept of “modernized” Pontiac badge, to gauge public opinion.

I know, i wish tthat stayed too

Personally, I like the car. Not overly excited about it, but it looks good. I like the new logo and the overall design, but I would REALLY like to see a two door version come about. That way I could work towards replacing my Monte Carlo.

Maybe its the pictures, but it seems to be the same size as the Malibu and CTS, not the Impala or Monte. Is it just me?

I'm guessing it's going to be about 190 inches long or so... maybe a bit longer than the GTO... since it doesn't have the big overhangs of the Impala or Monte, it will be shorter..I think the wheelbase is about 114 inches or so..

The styling is clean, purposeful and elegant... but also quite bland.

But someh0ow this si still a BEAUTIFUL car given what lies under the skin!!!! :wub:

A+++ for Pontiac! :1999-pontiac-30th:

Considering this is a relatively surprise entry from GM for this auto show season, this car is a stunner.

Even if the styling is somewhat conservative, the G8 still looks better than most other cars on the road. The RAM AIR (and lack of Banglization) help to differentiate it from the BMW line-up. The clear portion of the new emblem is a nice touch, but I'm really going to miss color. If the production wheels are designed anything like these show-car wheels, they will absolutely stand out on the road. It would be unjust for GM to go back to five-spoke rims after unveiling the car in these shoes.

The tail lights are kinda "meh", and have a rather strong "Look, Altima! I can be cool, too!" vibe coming from them. But they at least look better than the Malibu's Diamante tail lamps.

I think everyone is forgetting that production of this is quite constrained and it will only be around for a few years...

Not exactly. The G8 will be manufactured in Australia for two years before production moves to Canada. At that time the car will get a MCE to further differentiate it from the Commodore. So - we can expect some styling changes and maybe powertrain enhancements at that time. But that is not to say it will go way after two years.

But you are correct that production will be constrained - 30,000-50,000 unites per year. Prices could be very high the first six months or so on this one. I will be looking to purchase a 2009 model - so by then production will be higher and the early buyers will already have theirs.

Not exactly. The G8 will be manufactured in Australia for two years before production moves to Canada. At that time the car will get a MCE to further differentiate it from the Commodore. So - we can expect some styling changes and maybe powertrain enhancements at that time. But that is not to say it will go way after two years.

That is speculation. As evok said I believe, there is absolutely no indication that the G8 will move to Oshawa. That doesn't mean a NA-designed G8 won't be built in Oshawa, but there's no reason to build this one there.

I have to say that if the production car stays 99% true to it's showcar version, I might just be enticed away from Saturn when the AURA lease is up at the end of 2009. By that time, I'd be looking at a leftover 2009 M-Y G8 or a fresh new 2010 G8.

And I have to say that I just love this picture:

Posted Image

It's what I've always liked about Pontiacs - bold, in-your-face styling. I was a Pontiac-guy for a long time (owned a '95 TA, '99 GA GT, and the wife had a '00 GP GT). So the fact that Pontiac currently had nothing in my price range or style led me over to Saturn. The G8 may just bring me back :thumbsup:

But you are correct that production will be constrained - 30,000-50,000 unites per year. Prices could be very high the first six months or so on this one. I will be looking to purchase a 2009 model - so by then production will be higher and the early buyers will already have theirs.

I'm not really directing this to you, but why does it have to be differentiated from the Commodore? Why spend the money to make a good looking car look different? Seems like a waste to me. GM isn't going to do it with the new Saturns, why do they need to do it to the Pontiac. Keep it a global car and save money.

By the way, the press release said that the new logo was an experiment..that implies the production car will have a regular Pontiac badge..

depends on how the public takes to it. from opinions here, it sounds like it'll stay witht he current design though, which I wouldn't mind one bit

1 GT in black with 6spd please, with base tails (red, not euros)

Ooh, pretty! And $33K for all that.

Only 2 complaints from any of the pictures...1), the taillight cluster needs a more "pontiac" look, and the prototype logo (which isn't production anyway) does nothing for me.

One note on the logo...Mitsubishi used to be red diamonds, then went to chrome. Does Pontiac really want to be doing something that Mitsu did?

The car has more interior room and space and a trunk that may be slightly larger. It is 4 inches shorter than Chrysler 300 and 8 inches shorter than the Dodge Charger.

And if anyone wants to check out our new feature...

Posted Image

...they'll see it has more trunk space than the Charger R/T (almost as much as the Bonneville!), more interior room in most regards, yet is shorter in length and height and weighs less.

Pretty amazing car.

I still say the design is not aggressive enough for a Pontiac. That design, maybe not necessarily the architecture, should have been the new Malibu. having said that I still think it's fantastic and can't believe we're getting a car this great. Way to go GM.