FIRST LOOK: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Pontiac G8 Design  

248 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like the new G8?

• 5 - WOW! Incredible! Be still my beating heart...
    • 4 - Really great! But...
    • 3 - Average. A decent car indeed.
    • 2 - Uhh, not so much. Needs lots of TLC.
    • 1 - Puke-o-Rama! Ugh! Worse than the Grand Am!

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to see it in person. The hood nostrils seem as odds with the rather plain generic looking side of the car. It's a Holden so we can't expect Pontiac styling save the grille and front end. The powertrain, rear drive and interior are a first rate job though just wish the side of the car looked a bit less bland.

Looks amazing inside and out. I am really impressed. I still love the new CTS the best but this will defiantly be very competitive. The interior really blew me away. Some parts of the interior look similar to my Touareg; the head light switch is euro design and the readout on the dash between the RPM and MPH. Nice work GM.

:idhitit: ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!! It's very athletic, taunt, and bold. For some reason it reminds me of the new Altima... Now all GM has to do is expand this design to other Pontiacs. I guess this could be an alternative to the Charger maybe?? I don't know, I'd take both if I had the money. Great job GM and keep'em coming. :thumbsup: Now only if Chrysler could produce something this beautiful.

I voted "middle of the road." I was expecting more. I'm not saying it's poorly crafted. I'm sure it will be a fine car.

I think that so many of the "pieces of the puzzle" look like they've been tried before. The front end is carryover Pontiac. The greenhouse is BMW 3 series sedan. The rear lights look like the ones on that Mitsubishi Stealth-type product. The shapes in the dashboard are extremely conventional, having been used on so many cars that didn't even register with me. It is cohesive, though, just not provocative.

Since this was going to be the flagship replacing GP and Bonneville, I did not want such a bland and blunt rear end. I was expecting a longer trunk lid and more of a roofline flow.

If people like it and buy it, I'm happy (for the value of my GM shares, if anything). I don't see it as my kind of car, though.

Am i the only one that noticed leather stitching on the dash?

Competition, prepare to be :pokeowned: by Pontiac!

the release said that's a concept car exclusive, but Pontiac would be crazy not to offer it on a GXP model....

(around 35k) would undercut any competition by ALOT.

Two thumbs WAY up! Great looking car. But..... why do they have to keep throwing out perfectly good names? This should be the new Bonneville or even GranPrix. I'm just not thrilled with the whole alphanumeric thing. :deadhorse: I know but still......

I'm actually glad they decided on G8. The G6 is already a name populated with Pontiac and I know personally I don't have any recent fond memories of the Grand Am, Grand Prix or Bonneville. I think the G6 and G8 monikers work well and for once, actually differentiate a brand's old and new product. I know many of my friends who would never consider an American product except for the G6 and now the G8.

Edited by big blue

Posted Image

It has a very nice stance and shape, and they got the headlights right on. The fender vents and hood vents make it look a bit tacky though. And I still don't (and never have) liked the Pontiac grille. Maybe it's because it's too tall on this car, and doesn't flow with the headlights. This is undoubtedly a step in the correct direction for Pontiac.

I like the new logo. Its sleek and modern but keeps the arrowhead design intact.

The interior is gorgeous (except for the lack of red gauges :P) and I love the steering wheel.

The base engine is fantastic, but it needs a 5/6-spd manual optional, IMO.

None of this really matters, though, because I can't f@#king afford one, anyway.

Edited by bowtie_dude

Charger obsolete: :lol: The Charger has more style and emotion in one headlight. The G8 is like the Camry of mainstream RWD sedans. It isn't a bad thing because it could possibly appeal to more people (especially women) but the entire design is nothing to take note of on the road. It blends in with everything else (stealth, smealth). The G6 coupe has more head turning appeal, IMO.

The car itself (mechanicals and interior) is very good. I just hope the interior doesn't come in such hideous colors such as the one pictured and what we have seen on the Commodore. The Pontiac arrowhead needs to be red but I can see why the designers used a bland monochrome version on this. The wheels are amazingly sexy and have to be offered on the production version. This will suffice for the time being. I just hope it is priced correctly.

I like it, but I don't know if GM went far enough....

It's certainly competitive, but does it suffer the 'old GM' think of "just competitive is good enough"?

THE STYLING

The styling is already being chalked up as an 'also ran' by Foreign Car & Import Driver. And they're not even mentioning how much better of a car it might be than any of the imports (Limiting the appeal to 'traditional' buyers from day one) Anti-American Automobile also refers to it as "The best American sedan since the Chrysler 300" But AutoWeek did have good things to say:

Regardless of the inspiration, the clean muscular lines and wheels-at-the-corners stance make an impressive design statement in this latest take on the Wide Track Pontiac tradition. Inside, G8’s uncluttered twin cockpit is highlighted by large round gauges and Pontiac’s signature red lighting.

Edmunds likens it to a Mazda 6.... I don't see the resmblence, and I think it's a pretty sh*tty thing to say since these are the same Pontiac traits that have been around since LONG before the Mazda 6 as well as Mazda in America. But, that actually might help people accept the car more as well. Then they criticize the rear of the car saying it is uninspired and fussy.

As for my opinion.... I'm still not sure. I mean, it certainly is attractive and it isn't gawdy like the G6 'Bugs' edition but I'm not sure it's far enough. For the money, unless the G8 drives significantly better, I'd still have a hard time choosing this over the testosterone oozing Charger SRT-8 and I think the 300 is equally as attractive as the G8. Then, also consider that the production car will not have the decklid piece as standard, nor will it have the beautiful 20s (I can only imagine the MONSTROSITIES that GM is about to bolt on to this car given their latest disasters like pretty much all of the new Cadillac wheels, the new Chevy T900 wheels and the god-aweful G6 GXP units) On top of all that, it'll ride anywhere from 1/2-1" higher and on smaller wheels to boot.

Not to mention, how is this 'conservative' car going to fare when the hot new Camaro and Impala (with the same platform and abilities) come on the scene and target essentially the same people? My guess is, not too good. But, by then hopefully GM will have injected some excitement either through an MCE, GTO or GXP version.

So, I'll hold my final judgement, but I'm still not too sold. I really want to see real world pics and then I want to see the actual car that we're getting in a more interesting color. I think the gray is way too subdued for this introduction because it doesn't flatter the image of what Pontiac is. Essentially, everyone (especially given the tepid GTO outlash and the beautiful Solstice) was expecting an exciting Pontiac, however overwrought and tacky it might've been. Not only did they get a very conservative car, but also that car in a color and photography that pretty much kills what little excitement the design had in the first place. It's the equivalent of showing the new CTS in red.... A HORRIBLE idea that contrasts with what we expect from the division. (Think about it; every 'art & science' debut has either been in Silver or black and that's what people are conditioned to expect) The reason I even bring it up is because I think by doing it this way (Maybe intentionally on GM's part) it kind of gives everyone a sour first impression of the car, eventhough they might not realize it; it's subconcious.

THE PLATFORM

I think because of the weak... errr, conservative styling, this is where the car is going to have to excel. IT has the safety and dimensions to compete, now all we need is for it to compare well in driving characteristics. So, if I were GM I would work VERY hard to get good reviews for the dynamics of this car. It HAS to blow everyone away in order to 1) Get noticed 2) Reacquire the respect Pontiac once had in the performance world and 3) Convey the message to people who haven't considered a Pontiac in years, or ever, that maybe they should look a little harder before they buy that DCX, Lexus, Infiniti or even BMW product. It has to carve a niche of die hard enthusiasts that ARE NOT traditional "Pontiac or die" fans. Think, Subaru WRX, not a GREAT car, not a particularly attractive car, but fun to drive and has LOADS of die hard fans.

NOTES TO GM:

1) Gradually improve the car yearly. Pontiac cannot afford to stand still on merit like Chevrolet and Cadillac. They have to prove their relevance.

2) Get good reviews. You have a competent product here and it needs TONS of exposure to get, or keep, the momentum at Pontiac going. If this is to be a performance division again, then you'll need to develop a new generation or clientele of Pontiac performance fans.

3) Bring on the GXP and bring on the FACTORY accessories (20s, bigger brakes, etc.)

4) Market it as WIDE TRACK!!!!!!

5) Stick that gorgeous new logo on all the new Pontiacs.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Charger obsolete: :lol: The Charger has more style and emotion in one headlight. The G8 is like the Camry of mainstream RWD sedans. It isn't a bad thing because it could possibly appeal to more people (especially women) but the entire design is nothing to take note of on the road. It blends in with everything else (stealth, smealth). The G6 coupe has more head turning appeal, IMO.

The car itself (mechanicals and interior) is very good. I just hope the interior doesn't come in such hideous colors such as the one pictured and what we have seen on the Commodore. The Pontiac arrowhead needs to be red but I can see why the designers used a bland monochrome version on this. The wheels are amazingly sexy and have to be offered on the production version. This will suffice for the time being. I just hope it is priced correctly.

The Charger is gawky and overdone in comparison. The Charger's interior is laughable next to the G8s. The G8 is an ACTUAL enthusiast vehicle with the availablility of a manual tranny. The G8 is classier, cleaner, more upscale and just overal BETTER than the Charger in every measurable fashion. Sure, the G8 is a little more expensive, but consider bang for the buck and the G8 comes off as a great deal relative to the Charger's shortcomings, and there are many.

The G8 is nothing like the Camry of mainstream RWD sedans, and you're ludicrous for thinking so.

The Charger is gawky and overdone in comparison. The Charger's interior is laughable next to the G8s. The G8 is an ACTUAL enthusiast vehicle with the availablility of a manual tranny. The G8 is classier, cleaner, more upscale and just overal BETTER than the Charger in every measurable fashion. Sure, the G8 is a little more expensive, but consider bang for the buck and the G8 comes off as a great deal relative to the Charger's shortcomings, and there are many.

The G8 is nothing like the Camry of mainstream RWD sedans, and you're ludicrous for thinking so.

couldn't agree with you more. G8 has class; Charger is simple and cool but awkward. G8 has a lot of strength in every line, that works real well.

the only thing that is really extremely disappointing is reading that GM is yet again showing a "show car". I didn't want to get in on the speculation a couple of days ago when we had the teaser shots, but now it seems GM has confirmed through thier own press release that this is only 90% there. And guess what, we'll probably never see a gnarly paint job like this on a GM car until yet another 5-10 years.

Prove me wrong, GM! Surprise us and go the extra mile with everything! Offer the 6 spd on the V6, offer the suspension bits from the V8 on the V6, make everything seen here on this show car a REALITY, including those great wheels. I can't say enough for how right I expect this car to come out, with whatever trimmings and calibrations they decide to go with; it's that great of a car. That still doesn't mean GM should just settle for what they got, they need to give it all they got, go the extra mile to make this a truly amazing and unprecedented car that will truly make the magazines, pundits, and analysts believe GM gets it.

Really Great, but it needs to have a bit more pizazz without coming close to looking like that new GXP appearance package for the G6, or whatever it is. That is ugly and garish.

The Commodore itself is very handsome, but bland.

The G8's modifications help make it much better, but I really believe that it's the profile that doesn't do it for me, otherwise, I love it.

So, it was that tiny little "but" that led me to not vote top marks for the G8.

I also wish that it was called Grand Prix, or Bonneville, but who knows why GM (or Ford, for that matter) does the things they do regarding names and some of the worse styling executions (like the Aztek or Taurus in the mid-`90's).

This car ought to be a winner in every way.

What would I change?

1.) Profile styling

2.) Lose the dumb-ass hood vents (it's not a screaming performance coupe)

3.) Give the V6 a stickshift

4.) THE NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by MyerShift

I for one really like this car and it really looks different from it Holden counterpart and has been rebadged VERY sucessfully. The 3.6L DOHC V6 should be great for people looking at a oh Lexus GS 350 or BMW 3 Series or even 5 Series that costs 10-15K more at least and G8 is the same size and drives just as good! Way to go on offering the 5spd. automatic with it, I know it is not a six but that is okay with me. The styling is drop dead sexy and I love the fender over the wheels. I sure do wish the showcars wheels would stay. The interior is top notch and is different not a bad thing in this class. With pricing starting at 25.5K and going to around 28K or 29K for a stripper GT and a loaded one going for like 33K this car will sell. I think they could move 35,000 of these things no problem seriously, it is like a four-door GTO! I am so impressed my wifes SUV (Torrent GXP FWD or Enclave CX FWD) might need to be put on hold so I can get a stripped GT, and I don't even like RWD cars in Iowa winters. (I am Mr. FWD!) I hope fuel economy is about 30 mpg on the highway with the V8 (or close like 28-29ish) and the V6 gets a smidge over 30. Then Pontiac you just might have a sale. I hope the back seat is as big as my 2001 W-body Impala, anyone know will it be about that big? (If so and gets 30mpg or close with the GT V8 and I can con my wife into one, its a done deal...) Now about that 30 grand... **Can't wait to see it this Saturday in Chicago**

I keep looking this over, and I must say, it really looks like a modern interpretation of the last Bonneville and last two Grand Prix's. The front, the greenhouse, the rear... All have some of those in it. It's just a very modern, muscular, and straight foward looking design that's evocative of those. Unless you were looking for something all out retro or more bold than a little old lady frightening Trans Am... I'm not sure how anyone could possibly be disappointed. Sure, it's just a Commodore, but it translates very well with Pontiac's recent designs.

As far as little complaints like the hood scoops and taillights... Please tell me how they're any worse than these:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't recall anyone complaining about those...

Edited by blackviper8891

3) Bring on the GXP and bring on the FACTORY accessories (20s, bigger brakes, etc.)

Man. A G8 GXP. You know how much that would kill?

For those of you comparing this to the Charger, may I remind you that the Charger has a hood prop on every trim short of the SRT-8. That says it all about the throughness of thought put into that car. Its a nice car...for a Chrysler. Nothing more.

This is it. Pontiac is back and its nothing but a good thing.

It looks good, its got that real aggressive look that yells "PONTIAC", I love the interior and just the basic concept of a big RWD V8 sedan.

But there are things I would change. I don't like the names Pontiac is giving their cars right now...G5, G6, G8...stop it. Just regular names, PLEASE. Pontiac has a fine selection of names they could have called upon for this car and its a shame they had to pick one with such little character. And although the G8 is better looking than the other Pontiacs out right now, it still kind of has that generalized Pontiac look that makes the front ends of the G6, G5 and Grand Prix almost indistinguishable. Inject a little more flair into the design and it'll be fine.

The photos with Bob Lutz look great. I was driving home and I realized why GM is not going to use old Pontiac names. It is the way today's market is and the buyers associated with the market. There are many who are loyal to GM and Pontiac and would buy Pontiac no matter what. GM once had a huge share of the market. Not any longer. The thing GM is fighting is:

The automotive media

the import buyers

People who would not consider a Pontiac

The buyers on each coast. Much as anyone hates to admit it, they do dictate a lot of the styles and trends and more in this country.

How do you get them to look at a new Pontiac?

Putting the name of Bonneville or Grand Prix on the car for loyalists is not enough. They want buyers ,not watch their customer base die. This is one of the biggest things Buick is facing. The buyers I mentioned above do not fondly remember Pontiac like the loyalist do. Several people in this thread have said it.

Baggage. Perception. The G8 is one way to over come that. Let this car become the "new" Pontiac legend. Let this car along with Solstice create new legends and new memories. I would say the same thing about Oldsmobile if it were around too. If they had a new car that was exactly like Ninety Eight and called just Regency or something like that, it would be a car for me to consider. In the end, they did not. That is beside the point.

The point here is new car, new legends, new history and hopefully new buyers. This car is what Pontiacs of the 1960's were in their day. This is a modern interpretation of it. This car is saying GM has figured out what Pontiac is.

Buick is going to get that shot in the arm too. They just need the right sedan along with Enclave. Again.. new legends, new history, new buyers based on what the brand truly stood for in the day.

Maybe in a generation or two when the past is forgotten, they may bring the old names back.

By the way.. isn't it interesting the front end pushed the length on this car from 192 in Holden form to 196 in Pontiac form?

This car dimensionally is between the old C and H bodies of the 80's and the W and C and H Bodies of the 90's. This car borders on fiullsized status. I say this because for a year or so the Bonneville was 199 inches long in the 1990's.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Ninety-Eight - Good post, I agree with what you're saying here. Loyalists will buy a Pontiac whether it's called Grand Prix or G8. Conquest buyers will associate "Grand Prix" with "rental car" and not give it a chance. With G8 they might.

I am not suprised they didn't offer AWD that is more of Buick thing. Plus I would never get an AWD car, if 2WD won't do it then screw it!

Since when did Buick have an AWD car? GM should offer it so that people in the snow belt will still consider Pontiacs, and the same for Buick when the Lucerne goes RWD.

I can't wait till next years GXP.

I would assume the following will be added.

Bigger tires

larger brakes

LS3 430-450 HP

Tweeks to the Suspension

HUD I really want this

More aggressive body parts

In other words it will be time to hit the HSV parts bins and add some trick parts then hunt and kill the SRT Charger.

As for the name if you don't like the G8 just peel off the name and get a GP or Bonnie emble to stick on as you have many styles still available.

I think just adding a repo Royal Bobcat emblem from Jim Wangers company would be kind of cool. A littl old and a little new.

Edited by hyperv6

I'm not really directing this to you, but why does it have to be differentiated from the Commodore? Why spend the money to make a good looking car look different? Seems like a waste to me. GM isn't going to do it with the new Saturns, why do they need to do it to the Pontiac. Keep it a global car and save money.

The goofy feeling I have goes like this:

Holden to me is Chevy of Australia/Oceania. That part of me says the intact Holden look should be a Chevy while Pontiac gets something more distinct.

But on the other side (which makes more business sense), give Chevy the more distinctive looking car (whose design will pay for itself much quicker, since Chevy sells more) and let Pontiac get the Holdens (sticking to giving each their respective fascia) which can still make its money in both markets.

Posted Image

It has a very nice stance and shape, and they got the headlights right on. The fender vents and hood vents make it look a bit tacky though.

Not to me, I think they were tastefully done. Would you say the fender vents are tacky on a BMW M-car?

And I still don't (and never have) liked the Pontiac grille.

(general statement) People who aren't Pontiac fans need to get to the left. Whether you like it or not, it's a Pontiac cue that has always worked.