Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

FIRST LOOK: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Pontiac G8 Design  

248 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like the new G8?

• 5 - WOW! Incredible! Be still my beating heart...
    • 4 - Really great! But...
    • 3 - Average. A decent car indeed.
    • 2 - Uhh, not so much. Needs lots of TLC.
    • 1 - Puke-o-Rama! Ugh! Worse than the Grand Am!

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holy crap. how does gm somehow always manage to take fugly pics of their own babies. the person or anybody in general can take better looking "real" pics . just look at that interior!

big, big difference.

That's what I keep wondering. The real world pics always look better...

You just dont get it. Do you?

...pics...

Maybe you should look at a saturn?

Just because you have a history of making butt ugly cars that nobody wants to buy doesn't mean you should aspire to that tradition.

Sure, I have no problems looking at a Saturn. Unfortunately, there is no Saturn branded Zeta RWD. The only other car more or less confirmed for NA thats based on the Zeta platform is the Camaro... another throw back to the ugly and... uh... best forgotten past. I was hoping that Pontiac would start a new tradition of making sleek, clean, nice looking cars like the G6 (non-GXP) and the Solstice. In this regard I am disappointed. The original Commodore or its luxury siblings the Holden Caprice, Calais and Statesman are all much better looking than the Hippo nostrilled G8. Get rid of the Nostrils and it'll be a much much nicer car.

As I have said before... if I ever buy this car, I'll be willing to spend $2000 to get rid of the nostrils. This is a 2 minute job just to illustrate the point...

Posted Image

The yeas and nays on this rebirth product are ultimately going to fall

into the hands of the bean counters.

If they price it overboard, like they did with the reborn GTO or

the orphaned XUV, people will go back to looking at the overseas

-owned products, and GM will just dig itself a deeper hole!

For those who can swing some muscle on the pricing jerks,

tell'um what Dr. Phil says about people who dig themselves into a hole,

that is getting deeper.........

STOP DIGGING!!!!

:rolleyes:

Just because you have a history of making butt ugly cars that nobody wants to buy doesn't mean you should aspire to that tradition.

Sure, I have no problems looking at a Saturn. Unfortunately, there is no Saturn branded Zeta RWD. The only other car more or less confirmed for NA thats based on the Zeta platform is the Camaro... another throw back to the ugly and... uh... best forgotten past. I was hoping that Pontiac would start a new tradition of making sleek, clean, nice looking cars like the G6 (non-GXP) and the Solstice. In this regard I am disappointed. The original Commodore or its luxury siblings the Holden Caprice, Calais and Statesman are all much better looking than the Hippo nostrilled G8. Get rid of the Nostrils and it'll be a much much nicer car.

As I have said before... if I ever buy this car, I'll be willing to spend $2000 to get rid of the nostrils. This is a 2 minute job just to illustrate the point...

Posted Image

G8 V6?

BTW I'm in the process of uploading quicktime movies of running footage and some show video of the G8. Running footage should be up by 4am, Chicago 4:15 am. Unfortunately there seem to be sound quality issues with te running footage. I would have shot it again. The G8 really shouldn't sound like that.

G8 V6?

No, it was a 2 minute job on Photoshop to illustrate how much better the G8 will look without the Nostrils.

It is unclear whether the V6 (non-GT) version of the G8 will be without the Nostrils or the rear deck lip spoiler. I certainly hope so because I think the car looks significantly better without them. And if the V6 G8 doesn't have them then it becomes a lot easier (and cheaper) to source a replacement hood and trunk lid without these ugly antics. If you try hard enough you may even be able to find an owner of a V6 G8 on the same exterior color who aspires to the V8 "look", and you can possibly offer to swap hoods and trunk lids with him. If you offer to also pay for all the professional body shop labor to do the swap, it'll be hard for him to refuse.

Holden has been showing a bright red G8 to the Australian media (was on the evening news on all the channels I looked at).

It was wearing standard Commodore 5 spoke alloys, there was no stitching on the dash, but the Pontiac emblem on the nose looked like the one on the Chicago show car. It pretty much looked like a standard LHD Commodore with Pontiac nose trim.

Holden has been showing a bright red G8 to the Australian media (was on the evening news on all the channels I looked at).

It was wearing standard Commodore 5 spoke alloys, there was no stitching on the dash, but the Pontiac emblem on the nose looked like the one on the Chicago show car. It pretty much looked like a standard LHD Commodore with Pontiac nose trim.

interior pic/screen cap please? I believe no stitching...but I def wanna see the dash to see if it looks like plastic or is squishy.

:lol: "squishy"

Well, looking over the thread, I see I'm not the only dissenter. I was feeling like a canary in a coal mine. Where I believe Pontiac should be warm, romantic and sensual in its excitement (Solstice is the purest modern example), this car is cool, technical, and bland, even generic. Again, I am all for something new from Pontiac, but this, somehow, just doesn't do it for me.

When we heard the rumor of Solstice-derived styling for the G8, most everyone cried. Think of the G8 front end with single element, round headlamps, a wide, split grille with signal lamps within, and Pontiac signature round foglamps. More upright and visually wider than the bulbous Solstice to befit its place in Pontiac's lineup. The hood scoops would stay. The fenders would have the exact same scallop as Solstice, with updated arrowhead. The sides would have a gently curved beltline without the over-used BMW kink. The rocker panel area would have a slight taper. The rear end would have high mounted, red teardrop taillamps. I am thinking the Velite rear end, with those taillamps, looks like something derived from Solstice, and would fit on a big Pontiac very well. I have in my mind what I want, I wish I could bring it to life through a chop or a sketch.

I honestly do hope this car sells, despite what I feel are basic, anti-brand failings. Pretty wheels on this concept are a distraction. What's the production GT and base model going to look like with normal ride height and smaller wheels?

Edited by ocnblu

No, it was a 2 minute job on Photoshop to illustrate how much better the G8 will look without the Nostrils.

It is unclear whether the V6 (non-GT) version of the G8 will be without the Nostrils or the rear deck lip spoiler. I certainly hope so because I think the car looks significantly better without them. And if the V6 G8 doesn't have them then it becomes a lot easier (and cheaper) to source a replacement hood and trunk lid without these ugly antics. If you try hard enough you may even be able to find an owner of a V6 G8 on the same exterior color who aspires to the V8 "look", and you can possibly offer to swap hoods and trunk lids with him. If you offer to also pay for all the professional body shop labor to do the swap, it'll be hard for him to refuse.

:banghead:

I was suggesting that perhaps the hood scoops will only be on the GT. complain loud enough and GM may even make them a delete option on the GT.

The red car is in the running footage I have uploaded to AutoReport. Unfortunately it sounds a bit sick.

I honestly do hope this car sells, despite what I feel are basic, anti-brand failings.

The average 60s Pontiac, for example, wasn't a major stunner either.

The Protosport-4 this sin't, but I can live with that. This isn't the age where every Pontiac is red with Hi-Tech rims on it anymore.

Looking at it for like the 7th time... really annalyzing every line & compound curve... I LOVE IT!!! :wub:

zzzzzzzz.... huh? Sorry, what thread is this? I must have dozed off.

Ocn, I will go all the way down to Lancaster and slap you if I have to. :P

Whine, complain, bitch...

When we heard the rumor of Solstice-derived styling for the G8, most everyone cried. Think of the G8 front end with single element, round headlamps, a wide, split grille with signal lamps within, and Pontiac signature round foglamps. More upright and visually wider than the bulbous Solstice to befit its place in Pontiac's lineup. The hood scoops would stay. The fenders would have the exact same scallop as Solstice, with updated arrowhead. The sides would have a gently curved beltline without the over-used BMW kink. The rocker panel area would have a slight taper. The rear end would have high mounted, red teardrop taillamps. I am thinking the Velite rear end, with those taillamps, looks like something derived from Solstice, and would fit on a big Pontiac very well. I have in my mind what I want, I wish I could bring it to life through a chop or a sketch.[/b]

Yeah... That's exactly why. That doesn't sound attractive in the least... Edited by blackviper8891

Hard to believe the last time we had a rear drive Pontiac sedan was 1986. The last rear drive Pontiac car like vehicle was a station wagon.

Those vehicles were:

1986 Pontiac Bonneville( G Body)

1986 Pontiac Parisienne ( B Body)

1989 Pontiac Safari wagon( was Parisienne Safari)

Ronald Reagan and George Bush I were in office.

DANG!!

Everything comes full circle. The G Body Bonneville was 198 inches long until a slight update in 1984 which put it at 200 inches on a 108 inch wheelbase and it used a 3.6 liter V6 rated at a 110 hp and a 5.0 305 V8 rated at 150 hp. The trunk was 16.6 cubic ft.

When Bonneville went FWD in 1987, it was 198.7 inches long, on a 110.7 inch wheelbase, and offered a 3.8 liter V6 rated at 150 hp. The trunk was 15.25 cubic ft.

That was 21 years ago!! DANG!!

The Pontiac G8:

WELL... big difference..... Everything old is new again in a different way.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

:lol: "squishy"

Well, looking over the thread, I see I'm not the only dissenter. I was feeling like a canary in a coal mine. Where I believe Pontiac should be warm, romantic and sensual in its excitement (Solstice is the purest modern example), this car is cool, technical, and bland, even generic. Again, I am all for something new from Pontiac, but this, somehow, just doesn't do it for me.

When we heard the rumor of Solstice-derived styling for the G8, most everyone cried. Think of the G8 front end with single element, round headlamps, a wide, split grille with signal lamps within, and Pontiac signature round foglamps. More upright and visually wider than the bulbous Solstice to befit its place in Pontiac's lineup. The hood scoops would stay. The fenders would have the exact same scallop as Solstice, with updated arrowhead. The sides would have a gently curved beltline without the over-used BMW kink. The rocker panel area would have a slight taper. The rear end would have high mounted, red teardrop taillamps. I am thinking the Velite rear end, with those taillamps, looks like something derived from Solstice, and would fit on a big Pontiac very well. I have in my mind what I want, I wish I could bring it to life through a chop or a sketch.

I honestly do hope this car sells, despite what I feel are basic, anti-brand failings. Pretty wheels on this concept are a distraction. What's the production GT and base model going to look like with normal ride height and smaller wheels?

The bulbous Solstice would not match the shape lines of the rest of the G8, It'd probably turn out worse the hideous G6 GXP.

How is it anti-brand styling? When the Slosctice is the only care in the lineup that seems like a Pontiac, and the others ae all badge engineered, Japanese-like, hideous, or some combination of the 3, what do you have for a brand identity? Are you just gonna base it off of one niche' car? Not only that, but the G8 incorporates (and very well I might add) Pontiac styling cues. The scoops, the grill, etc. It's more Pontiac than anything in the lineup besides the Solstice.

Guest YellowJacket894

I love this. Can't wait to find one used.

Ads should read: "If you don't think this car is excitment, check for a pulse."

(I'm making a sig with that tagline, so if you take it, you just better watch your back.)

I don't understand the point of these showcars. It just makes the real thing disappointing. As for the car itself, it looks decent but not very exciting. It will do its job for a few years.

Correct ME if I am wrong - but is this NOT the car we get? This is not some pimped out show ride only is it? This is the production variant?

By the way - I happen to love this car. Going to have to make the next Impala pretty impressive to keep me out of a Pontiac dealer and out of this car. The Camaro may have to wait...unless I hit the lotto.

Correct ME if I am wrong - but is this NOT the car we get? This is not some pimped out show ride only is it? This is the production variant?

By the way - I happen to love this car. Going to have to make the next Impala pretty impressive to keep me out of a Pontiac dealer and out of this car. The Camaro may have to wait...unless I hit the lotto.

This is a pimped out show ride. The wheels, paint job, two-tone leather stitched dash, and brakes have all been confirmed, by GM, to be just part of the show car. That seriously has to stop. GM has to start showing cars with real production bits. They have to allow these things to be options on the real car, at least, but the very best scenario would be to make this part of the G8 GT package.

We've seen some Zeta Impala sketches that take some Camaro traits. What I was describing above for my "dream G8" front end would be to take some cues from the 1970 Firebird for the front end without copying that car. The Camaro successfully emerges into the 21st century with its identity intact without being labeled "retro". The same should be done over at Pontiac for their flagship. The G8 should have been a signal, a trailblazer, for all Pontiacs to come for the next decade. Instead, we get a Holden with the barest bit of Pontiac DNA.

No wonder I keep seeing so many Pontiac traits...

Mark LeNeve lies - Zeta was well on before the decision was made that Commodore would come to NA and it was decided that Pontiac would get a version to be built in the states. Using LaNeve's same logic, the Statesman was designed to be a NA Buick because that was scheduled to come to NA along with the orignal zeta program. He is full of it.

We've seen some Zeta Impala sketches that take some Camaro traits. What I was describing above for my "dream G8" front end would be to take some cues from the 1970 Firebird for the front end without copying that car. The Camaro successfully emerges into the 21st century with its identity intact without being labeled "retro". The same should be done over at Pontiac for their flagship. The G8 should have been a signal, a trailblazer, for all Pontiacs to come for the next decade. Instead, we get a Holden with the barest bit of Pontiac DNA.

I think it's going to be a great car..I honestly don't care if it's badged as a Holden, Pontiac, Saturn, whatever... it's a clean, modern design inside and out with first class hardware...

O.B. are you really dissapointed... I mean it COULD be better but I think

it's still a very good looking car IMHO. I love it and think it wil do well in

the USA as a poor man's BMW 5-series.

why does it have to be differentiated from the Commodore? Why spend the money to make a good looking car look different? Seems like a waste to me. GM isn't going to do it with the new Saturns, why do they need to do it to the Pontiac. Keep it a global car and save money.

I agree. If they are going to spend money to make anything look different, make a Buick version of this car that looks different. I doubt that the Holden name plate will be sold in NA any time soon, so preserve as much sheet metal and development money as possible.

BTW, I think this is a very nice looking car. There are just two little things I'd like to see changed for the production veriosn. The bezels around the tail light can do without the ribs and the steering wheel has too many pieces and seams in the cover. I fear these things would lead back to the over festooned foolishness of 90s Pontiacs. Just as I thought when the Commodore was released, this doens't push any styling envelopes very far, but I like the understated look of competence.

why does it have to be differentiated from the Commodore? Why spend the money to make a good looking car look different? Seems like a waste to me. GM isn't going to do it with the new Saturns, why do they need to do it to the Pontiac. Keep it a global car and save money.

I agree. If they are going to spend money to make anything look different, make a Buick version of this car that looks different. I doubt that the Holden name plate will be sold in NA any time soon, so preserve as much sheet metal and development money as possible.

BTW, I think this is a very nice looking car. There are just two little things I'd like to see changed for the production veriosn. The bezels around the tail light can do without the ribs and the steering wheel has too many pieces and seams in the cover. I fear these things would lead back to the over festooned foolishness of 90s Pontiacs. Just as I thought when the Commodore was released, this doens't push any styling envelopes very far, but I like the understated look of competence.

Mr Krinkle- you do see what I did, right? I-i-it's the same car, man. Anyone.... is this screen on?

Point is- there is very little 'Pontiac' design language in the G8- the 'acura'-ization shows how close the G8 is to too many other vehicles, and how far it needed to go to be a modern, rejuvinated 'Pontiac'. Not saying it's not nice; am saying it's not enough. Would consider buying on as is, want more. Heritage unrealized.

Mr Krinkle- you do see what I did, right? I-i-it's the same car, man. Anyone.... is this screen on?

You are comparing photo shops. Run through god knows what programs and filters. Wait for the real thing.

or

look at the posts griffon left.

Even judging by the crap press photo the stance is not the same. Look closer.

This is not an Honda you are looking at. Like I said, I will wait. But so far everything else is telling me it looks o.k.

You are comparing photo shops. Run through god knows what programs and filters. Wait for the real thing.

or

look at the posts griffon left.

Even judging by the crap press photo the stance is not the same. Look closer.

This is not an Honda you are looking at. Like I said, I will wait. But so far everything else is telling me it looks o.k.

The "Acura" is a photoshop of the G8 Mr Krinkle, that is what they mean by it being the same car.

From what I can gather, the G8's model specs will closely imitate the Commodore SS/ SS-V. As others have stated here, the options available to the cars provided by Holden should appear on the the G8. The video posted up here was taken at Lang Lang proving grounds...

Just some other bits I can think of (some related, others not)....

*The show cars wheels and brakes are both HSV GTS items and can be purchased. I wouldn't be surprised if they were an optional extra. Otherwise, http://www.jhp.com.au will be able to offer them to Pontiac owners. The Magneride system come as a option too.

*The VE series was designed with sedan, wagon, coupe & ute variants in mind. So what does it mean for you guys? It means the ute may well come there as the El Camino, and the GTO will return (that has been planned for some time now, its just down to the business case). I'd like to see the sedan and wagon turn up as a Chevrolet Lumina too.

*The VE series will be built in North America at some point - I wouldn't be surprised if Oshawa was the plant used. Elizabeth can only handle so much production and is near capacity now, plus the cost benefits of making the car in North America are simple too hard to ignore.

Eliminate the scoops & un-split the grille:

Posted Image

Uh-oh.

ocnblu, I'm still with you.

Point is- there is very little 'Pontiac' design language in the G8- the 'acura'-ization shows how close the G8 is to too many other vehicles, and how far it needed to go to be a modern, rejuvinated 'Pontiac'. Not saying it's not nice; am saying it's not enough. Would consider buying on as is, want more. Heritage unrealized.

As I said... It has plenty of Pontiac design DNA in it... just not the same DNA you want. The greenhouse is nearly identical to the last two Bonneville's. The rear is a less gaudy interpretation of the current Grand Prix's. The front is a mix of much bolder Bonneville GXP and a toned down Grand Prix. The rest of the car is an edgier, chiseled, muscular Bonneville and G6 without the FWD proportions and cladding and with some gorgeous, aggressive wheel flares. Unintentional or not, it's all there. If you were expecting something like the Solstice or one of the Screaming Chicken cars... You were expecting way too much in the first place. Ocn, Balthy... Get you heads out of the gutter. :P

You can't do the same in reverse though—GM has done a very good job at turning the Commodore into a Pontiac IMO, it looks even better than the Commodore. What design traights can you add that aren't more "retro" than specifically Pontiac? Speedlines instead of honeycomb pattern grille?

Exactly. Edited by blackviper8891

The "Acura" is a photoshop of the G8 Mr Krinkle, that is what they mean by it being the same car.

nah, i understand that. Im referring to the pictures GM uses. -just about any artist can make the g8 look like a vw beetle. They are not authentic in and do not represent what the actual car looks like. They are dull and processed. GM can go scratch their colelctive ass with their $h!ty photography.

I like the link you posted except it sounds like it was filmed from a tractor but even so it looks plenty capable. And it is probably a blast to drive. throw in a great powertrain and it sounds like a deal.

Sorry BV- there's loads more heritage to reap than a hood decal- a diligent student of Pontiac would know that. I disagree with you and most others here- and you are reading far too much into the G8 vs. recent other Pontiacs than is there.

Let's look at the 1st gen CTS in comparison- if you laid out a fender or trunklid or hood on the ground, and you knew cars to a degree, you could likely name the car the parts belong to; because every piece is pretty unique- and assembled into a unique vehicle. The G8 front shot I tweaked in photoshop in 5 minutes obviously can pass as another corporation's make. I considered putting a mazda emblem in, in fact- another brand at least one other mentioned in this thread.

What dissenters such as ocn & I are asking for is MORE; more Pontiac and more individuality. Pushing aside the re-clipped Commodore scenario- that is still something to strive for: true individualistic brand identity. It's just not in the G8. At Pontiac's peak, every line worked and emulation followed- there is nothing here to follow because it's mid-pack as it is. We have the CTS, the Enclave, the Solstice, the Outlook, the Acadia, the Malibu... this isn't quite in the same class, unfortunately.

Again: I hope I'm wrong and it sells like free sex, but it sure isn't speaking to this 7-time Pontiac owner like the CTS spoke to this 0-time Cadillac owner. No tailfins or screaming chickens in my past, either.

Sorry BV- there's loads more heritage to reap than a hood decal- a diligent student of Pontiac would know that. I disagree with you and most others here- and you are reading far too much into the G8 vs. recent other Pontiacs than is there.

Let's look at the 1st gen CTS in comparison- if you laid out a fender or trunklid or hood on the ground, and you knew cars to a degree, you could likely name the car the parts belong to; because every piece is pretty unique- and assembled into a unique vehicle. The G8 front shot I tweaked in photoshop in 5 minutes obviously can pass as another corporation's make. I considered putting a mazda emblem in, in fact- another brand at least one other mentioned in this thread.

What dissenters such as ocn & I are asking for is MORE; more Pontiac and more individuality. Pushing aside the re-clipped Commodore scenario- that is still something to strive for: true individualistic brand identity. It's just not in the G8. At Pontiac's peak, every line worked and emulation followed- there is nothing here to follow because it's mid-pack as it is. We have the CTS, the Enclave, the Solstice, the Outlook, the Acadia, the Malibu... this isn't quite in the same class, unfortunately.

Again: I hope I'm wrong and it sells like free sex, but it sure isn't speaking to this 7-time Pontiac owner like the CTS spoke to this 0-time Cadillac owner. No tailfins or screaming chickens in my past, either.

I said the Screaming Chicken cars... as in Firebirds and Trans Ams. Not the actual decal.

I'm simply saying that it fits quite well with Pontiac's recent vehicles. The similarities are there. It's not be as wild as a Solstice, Firebird, or certain Pontiacs of the past, but there's more to the G8's design than you're willing to admit. I could easily say the vehicles of Pontiac's 'peak' were nothing special... It's just a different era which you happen to be more enthusiastic about. a simple chop could easily make one look like other vehicles of the same time period. You'd most likely disagree just as I would disagree about your chop. It looks nothing like an Acura to me. It'd look even less like a Mazda. When people complained about the GTO being bland, I thought it was funny as any past GTO wasn't any more original except for the wild Judge paint schemes and decals. They just wanted it to look like the old one because they like that era more. There's nothing inherently special about past designs other than safety, performance, etc weren't as focused on. Designs today are not as disposable as you try to make it out to be. Atleast not any more than designs of the past.

With that said... The G8 makes the Pontiac fanatic in me jump with joy. The Commodore makes an excellent Pontiac, and I'm not talking about the drivetrain. But that's just me...

Edited by blackviper8891

I can see the G8 appealing to people like me that hadn't seriously considered Pontiacs in the past...I've thought most Pontiacs (except for the GTO) in the last 15 years or so have been too gaudy on the outside, too cheap on the inside, and FWD. I like the crisp, clean understated look of the G8, the interior, the option list, and the serious hardware.

Guest YellowJacket894

To dissenters: The car is only going to be here for two years, and you're complaining because . . . ?

I love the car. This and the Solstice are two very critical steps into making Pontiac into a serious competitor in the marketplace. There was nothing wrong with past Pontiacs, but, more or less due to a level of what some would tag as "exaggeration" or "uniqueness" not present with other cars, especially with performance aspirations, many people brushed the brand off of their shopping lists. The new Pontiac we are seeing unfold has been in the process for what I think is quite awhile. When the 2010 model arrives, I expect the G8 to be that much more of a Pontiac. GM has a great starting point here.

I tend to think it really lives up to the standard presented by classic Pontiacs. Remember: cars from the Fifties and Sixties weren't festooned with hood scoops, flashy paint, and washboard cladding. They were clean and, when you stripped away the twin-port grille and taillamps, you had a car that really just blended in with the crowd. Remember, In My Cousin Vinnie, people had confused a Buick Skylark with a '63 Pontiac Tempest (I know the whole real life vs. movie debate, but I think my point is valid).

What do people expect out of Pontiac? If the car performs like a performance car and a Pontiac, and goes like hell, then I think it's a worthy Pontiac. It doesn't have to look like some Lambo-wannabe to be a Pontiac. Performance is key with Pontiac, not styling. That's the truth, deal with it.