ssssssshhhhhhh......

A Toyota trifecta of disastrous design.

The only good-looking part of any of them is the Highlander's interior.

Even that is hideous. It's like they're trying to be creative and artistic through luck alone. It's like trying to create a Picasso painting without an actual concept behind it.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

There's not one single line, shape, or angle that I find attractive on either the Highlander or the xD. The xB is okay... it's kinda funky.

My thoughts exactly! The Highlander received the Rav-4's jelly bean treatment, with the added bonus of a Tundra grill. The xD looks like a vertically strechted Yaris. But the xB isn't bad... I prefer it to the current version.

"While the domestic automakers scramble to put out their first crossover vehicles (unibody, ostensibly car-based SUVs), Toyota is preparing Gen 2..."

Why I let C/D expire. Pure crap. They are not 'scambling', they are doing.

Ford's D3 is out for 3 years now, and the new Lambda X-overs are kicking Highlander and Pilot's rears.

Edited by Chicagoland

The news gets even better under the hood, where a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine (shared with the tC) making 158 horsepower and 162 pound-feet of torque replaces the wimpy 103-hp 1.5-liter four-pot of xB version 1.0. Five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmissions deliver the newfound power to the front wheels, the latter with steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters.

Let me get this straight... the xB gets HIDs but continues into 2008 with a 4-sp automatic? :rotflmao:

The sole powertrain in the ‘08 Highlander is a 270-horsepower 3.5-liter V-6 mated to a five-speed automatic

Where to start with the Highlander? Only a 5 speed automatic? The exterior is hideous! The only highlight is the interior. It's better, but not best in class. If the plood is the same as in the Avalon & Camry it'll look paper-thin and just as appealing. Did I mention the exterior?

---

Sorry, but the only Toyota Tough about this lot of vehicles will be their luck.

After looking at the Highlander interior for, oh, about 2 minutes... I realized it looks like it belongs to another manufacturer. Am I the only one? Honda should be flattered:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

At least the Honda interiors have some form to them. The Highlander interior is a mishmash of weird shapes, bulges, and randomly scattered buttons.

Oh, GOD these are AWESOME!

:rotflmao:

Coming to an Aurora near you......the 2008 Highlander, xB and xD, simultaneously.

The highlander is piss-poor ugly. I can tolerate the Scions, the xB isn't terrible, the xD is quite ugly-ish but no worse than the xA.

They're all hideous, but the highlander wins the award for vehicle

that best resembles a steaming hot lump of cow $hit! GROSSS!

Highlander:

Congratuations, Toyota. You have successfully imitated the HYUNDAI Santa Fe.

xB:

An improvement over the previous gen. No longer 1980's retro. What's the matter, cargo area windows aren't cool anymore?

xD:

Oh no... Damn Camry turtletooth emblem! That is by far my least favorite styling element on the Camry, and it happens to make its way across marques. Also, this is essentially an updated xA. Did they really have to rename it?

Additionally, if Scion were smart, they wouldn't have released a model with the "xD" emblem to their target audience of twenty-something that love to surf the Net. Refer to Exhibit D, where these two letters in combination reflect someone laughing their ass off. And now, I will never be able to look at an xD with a straight face again. :lol:

Edited by aaaantoine

The Highlander looks like a squinting RAV-4 that got into a front-end collision and was restretched. It's ugly and dumpy and not very original looking. Exterior wise it has nothing on the Lambadas. The interior I actually like, except the steering wheel.

The xB is ugly, I'd almost call it worse than the original and I never liked that much either.

The xD I actually kind of like.

xb is cooler than before with the tc treatment. highlander looks bad from this angle, and in this color; overall it's classy and strengthened but still every bit as uninspired lame and unattractive as before, so it should do well. xd is just garbage.

Here are some more pictures

Highlander

Highlander Hybrid

Its definently not a fantastic design, but i dont mind it too much. The beltline reminds me of the MB GL. But that grill is horrible. The interior is definently a step up and i'm definently interested to see how much legroom the 3rd seat has compared to the Rav4. Also, does anyone know what the thing is on the drivers side 2nd row seat right beside the shoulder? It looks like a third seatbelt but theres a tray there, unless that folds up to make a third seat like in the Odyssey.

Posted Image

Edited by Autoholic217

Highlander is just shamefully bad. The current one, though bland as could be, was inoffensive and that was good for Toyota. This one, on the other hand, is just out of proportion. Too many different design themes going on here. Subaru Forester grill, Rav4 headlights, bulbous ass with a tailgate that was borrowed by the 4Runner. It's just awkward in every possible way with the exception of the interior. That will be the main selling point of the vehicle but unfortunately, with so many high quality competitors on the market that also just happen to be attractive, Toyota will relying a lot on loyal returning customers and import fanatics who avoid other Japanese and German makes. Highlander will sell well regardless and it will be the new vehicle "detroit really needs to worry about" in the auto mags for months to come.

Xd is not even worth a mention since it's just as awkward. Xb is nothing new considering that the revision has been out in Japan for a little while now.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Looks like Toyota has blandified/uglified it's entire lineup save the old Corolla which acutally still looks like a somewhat normal car. The Scions are turds with a new shade of lipstick for the new model year. Toyotas ever increasing sales just defy logic. My buddy who is a prison guard says it's the drugs of the 60's and 70's that has totally messed up peoples senses, culture, taste and common sense. Judging by the way that things have been going in the world I would say that he is on to something here!

oh good, they fixed the xB. Now the edges of the brick are rounded off so wind can flow around the car instead of smacking into it head on and being deflected by a car a person would draw at age 3.

:deadhorse:

i just don't understand.

Scions are scions, but the Highlander?

This is a segment that is increasly about "3rd row" and "Styling", and this may have a nice interior (cough honda cough), but wtf on the outside? Just b/c it works on the Rav4, doesn't mean it works here?

i fear for the new landcruiser and sequoia.