Seventh Place: 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

Sixth Place: 2007 Volkswagen GTI

Fifth Place: 2007 Saturn Ion Red Line

Fourth Place: 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5SE

Third Place: 2007 Mazdaspeed 3

Second Place: 2007 Toyota Camry V-6

First Place: 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/12396...0-to-25000.html

It's amazing how fast the Camry is with an automatic. It takes the Accord and Altima 6 speed manual transmissions in order to hit 5.9s 0-60. Btw, the Accord isn't on the list because it doesn't offer a 6sp Manual on the cheap SE V-6, only the more expensive EX V-6.

The Aura is also very impressive.

*scratches head* Whats a Camlee?

I think he said Camlee so Reg will understand.

Whatever C&D knows.

I generally prefer the cars at the end of these lists in tests like these.

Like the Pontiac, Chevrolet, Saturns, Mitsubishi, or, in others, The A4 by Audi, the 9-3.

It's amazing how fast the Camry is with an automatic. It takes the Accord and Altima 6 speed manual transmissions in order to hit 5.9s 0-60. Btw, the Accord isn't on the list because it doesn't offer a 6sp Manual on the cheap SE V-6, only the more expensive EX V-6.

I'm highly impressed by the Camry's performance as well. Still wouldn't buy one, but I give props where they're due.

I'm sorry, but I've always like C&D's writing.

Ranking cars by their 0-to-60-mph times may not be the most intellectually penetrating pursuit, but Consumer Reports would never do it, which is one reason we will. Hey, we’re the guys who raced diesel beaters across the country, so don’t come here looking for maturity or logic or Sisyphean insights, which is a term you won’t find in Consumer Reports.

There may come a time when two or more of the cars in this group are on your short list and you need somebody to cast the tiebreaker. Why is selecting the quicker car a dumb way to decide? Hey, when Paris Hilton had to choose between a Mercedes SLR McLaren and a third SoCal condo, she chose the speeding silver bullet and had cash left over for a pitcher of margaritas and bail. Faster than you can say “French underwear,” there she was again on the cover of Entertainment Weekly. She never thanked us.

The rules for this game are simple. These are production cars whose base prices range from $20,000 to $25,000, have been tested by actual C/D editors, and are in showrooms in 2007. If two cars post identical 0-to-60 times, then the car with the heartier quarter-mile dash rules the roost. And if they’re still tied, we’ll choose the car that first reaches 110 mph and lands its driver in a Malibu lockup.

Wouldn’t you know, we had four such ties in this group, with the Saturn Aura XR 3.6 and the Pontiac G6 GT 3.9 actually posting identical times to 110 mph. They thus share a genuine tie for ninth. Weird, huh? Not our fault.

If you think that’s weird, consider this: This list contains two Saturns but no Honda. Seems like the last time a Honda failed to make one of our “best of” lists was, well, about the time Ms. Hilton’s forbears were folding sheets as fledgling hoteliers, which is another term you won’t find in Consumer Reports.

:P

Cobalt SS Supercharged 5MT

Zero to 100 mph: 15.3 sec

Street start, 5–60 mph: 6.5 sec

Braking, 70–0 mph: 169 ft

22/30 mpg

Well that's funny. Here's a quote from their test on a 2005 SS/SC (and nothing's changed on the car aside from the steering wheel and radio to the best of my knowledge):

Well that's funny. Here's a quote from their test on a 2005 SS/SC (and nothing's changed on the car aside from the steering wheel and radio to the best of my knowledge):

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?se...article_id=9753

NOS, read the article, not just the quotes.. :P

C/D TEST RESULTS:

Zero to 60 mph: 6.1 sec

Zero to 100 mph: 15.3 sec

Zero to 130 mph: 32.3 sec

Street start, 5–60 mph: 6.5 sec

Standing ¼-mile: 14.6 sec @ 99 mph

Top speed (drag limited): 141 mph

Braking, 70–0 mph: 169 ft

Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.86 g

For comparison, the Camry's results:

C/D TEST RESULTS:

Zero to 60 mph: 5.8 sec

Zero to 100 mph: 14.5 sec

Zero to 130 mph: 31.0 sec

Street start, 5–60 mph: 6.1 sec

Standing ¼-mile: 14.3 sec @ 99 mph

Top speed (governor limited): 145 mph

Braking, 70–0 mph: 170 ft

Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.81 g

Edited by blackviper8891

fank-oooo!

had licey and flied shimp fo wunch

Edited by regfootball

I realize that they were only going with current models... but...

An '05 SRT-4 Neon would have won - 5.3 to 60 and a 14.3 quarter mile time...

Makes me wonder what the Caliber SRT-4 will do...

Peopel can knock teh SRt-4 for it's Neon name, it's looks or it interior, but that baby delivered where it mattered most.

I like fun articles like this.

However, to me....it just looks like they wrote an article using times posted in previous tests in the magazine.

What's amazing is how close the pushrod G6 and the DOHC AURA are.....exactly the same times. I'll give the 3.6L HF V6 MAJOR props however in equaling the 6-speed manual-equipped G6 with a slushbox in the AURA.

I like fun articles like this.

However, to me....it just looks like they wrote an article using times posted in previous tests in the magazine.

What's amazing is how close the pushrod G6 and the DOHC AURA are.....exactly the same times. I'll give the 3.6L HF V6 MAJOR props however in equaling the 6-speed manual-equipped G6 with a slushbox in the AURA.

It's also heavier and more fuel-efficient.

The guy I know who has an SRT-4 hasn't been able to drive it for two weeks because his transmission has been blown to $h! and is being replace. My advice: Never buy a used SRT-4.

Are you my friend and I just don't recognize you?

(Mine was in the shop this week getting a new trans under warranty :censored: )

Are you my friend and I just don't recognize you?

(Mine was in the shop this week getting a new trans under warranty :censored: )

Nah, my friend's is black and is still in the shop. Apparently the fine people at the dealership didn't realize that his clutch was torn to hell along with the transmission and made him wait even longer. As far as I know, he's still waiting. And none of it is covered by warranty because he's done some slight engine modifications. Yet another reason to not buy a used SRT-4. They're meant to do two things, be cheap and go fast. How often to people who buy cheap cars that go fast actually take care of their cars?

• 3 months later...

For a street car you'll buy used the SVT Focus is the deal of the century...as is the Cobalt SS/SC.

Both much better cars as drivers than the SRT-4 IMHO.

Chris

i guess the ion is faster cause of the tire differences?....they use different tires right, or is there a decent weight difference?

According to Edmunds, the Ion is only about 50lbs lighter. (though that's kinda impressive considering 2 extra doors...)

• 2 months later...

The guy I know who has an SRT-4 hasn't been able to drive it for two weeks because his transmission has been blown to $h! and is being replace. My advice: Never buy a used SRT-4.

You guys are soooo full of it that it's funny.

Judging by all the various posts in this forum of your "friends" with Dodges, I would say ALL your friends drive Dodges.

LOL

We have a dead stock SRT4 that runs 13.9 all the time at our track, a couple of 13.8s, but almost always 13.9, and strangely he has the original transmission. Races regularly.

Too funny.

The new SRT4 Caliber is *supposed* to be 300hp, which should make it quicker than a Neon version.

I wonder where the sticker price for the Subie came from, my brother-in-law owns one, it sure wasn't under $25K!!!! I gotta show him that link, he'll be pissed!

LOL

Why did the Blandry finish so high in the rankings? C&D usually rates this turd at the bottom of the list because it is a bore to drive, a yawner to look at and has indifferent interior quality. I also find it really hard to believe the 0-60 time of 5.8 seconds for a vehicle with only 248 lbs ft of torque and the quirky shifting 6 speed automatic. Most other sources peg it at 6.2 - 6.5 seconds which sound far more realistic based on test drives in SE V6 models and seat of the pants feel.