Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Tim Hardaway is a piece of shit.

Chris_Doane

Tim is special kind of stupid. :rolleyes:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/16706242.htm

The NBA today removed Tim Hardaway from its All-Star weekend activities, a day after he said, ''I hate gay people'' in a radio interview with a Miami Herald sports columnist.

The NBA canceled all of Hardaway's assignments this weekend, including an appearance as an ''NBA legend'' at the YMCA of Southern Nevada and participation in the NBA's community caravan leading up to Sunday's All-Star game in Las Vegas.

''It is inappropriate for him to be representing us given the disparity between his views and ours,'' NBA Commissioner David Stern said in a statement issued by the league.

Hardaway issued an apology several hours after making the comments on The Dan LeBatard Show on 790 The Ticket. ''Yes, I regret it,'' he told WSVN-Channel 7. ``I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that.''

Members of gay organizations reacted swiftly to Hardaway's comments.

''Obviously, I'm disappointed in Tim Hardaway being that Tim Hardaway was one of my favorite basketball players,'' said Donnell Morris, managing director of Black Gay Pride of South Florida. ``It creates a hostile environment for any player contemplating coming out of the closet.''

He added: ``For Tim to be a person from Miami where there has always been a diverse community, he should have been more sensitive to his environment. . . . I've always looked up to Tim as a leader. For him to take a stance that way really hurts me.''

Steve Adkins, president of the Miami-Dade Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce, said Hardaway's apology makes no difference. 'It is a very simple process to say `no' or 'I'd rather not comment' than to go on the record and make malicious and bigoted statements,'' Adkins said.

``. . . Let's just say I'm very disappointed that if someone in this day and age has these kinds of feelings, they're not intelligent enough to keep them to themselves. Beyond that, there is no place in our society for that kind of hatred and bigotry. End of story.''

Hardaway played for the Heat from 1995 through 2001 and has owned several businesses since retiring, including a car wash establishment in Coral Gables and a chicken wings restaurant in Coconut Grove. Hardaway played for five teams and was a five-time All-Star, averaging 17.7 points and 8.2 assists.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/15/...in2482540.shtml

(AP) Retired NBA guard Tim Hardaway said Wednesday that he hates gay people, but later said he regretted the remarks.

"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people," he said while a guest on Sports Talk 790 The Ticket. "I'm homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

The discussion was sparked by last week's announcement that retired NBA center John Amaechi is gay.

Amaechi said Hardaway's anti-gay comments "demonstrate the need to continue the conversation."

"I don't need Tim's comments to realize there's a problem,'" Amaechi told The Associated Press in a phone interview Thursday. "People said that I should just shut up and go away — now they have to rethink that."

The host asked Hardaway how he would interact with a gay teammate.

"First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team. And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that is right. I don't think he should be in the locker room while we are in the locker room."

If he did find out that a teammate was gay, Hardaway said he would ask for the player to be removed from the team.

"Something has to give," Hardaway said. "If you have 12 other ballplayers in your locker room that's upset and can't concentrate and always worried about him in the locker room or on the court or whatever, it's going to be hard for your teammates to win and accept him as a teammate."

Amaechi also detailed his life, in his autobiography "Man in the Middle," which was released Wednesday. He hoped his coming out would be a catalyst for intelligent discourse.

"I'm actually tempted to laugh," Amaechi told The Miami Herald. "Finally, someone who is honest. It is ridiculous, absurd, petty, bigoted and shows a lack of empathy that is gargantuan and unfathomable. But it is honest. And it illustrates the problem better than any of the fuzzy language other people have used so far."

Hardaway later apologized for the remarks during a telephone interview with Fox affiliate WSVN in Miami.

"Yes, I regret it. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that," he said. "That was my mistake."

Hardaway reportedly has been removed from further league-related appearances.

"It is inappropriate for him to be representing us, given the disparity between his views and ours," NBA commissioner David Stern said in a statement to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

I dont believe his apology for a second. I'm sure he doesn't regret it at all.

Gay people shouldn't be in the world. That's just funny. You sort of imagine it being preceeded by "Aint no."

Well, funny to the point where it's just sad that someone can be THAT ignorant.

Gosh he must walk around all day being terrified that some gay guy is gonna sneak up out of nowhere and nail him. What a sad man.

He has a good grip on that ball for someone who's scared of...well...balls.

Posted Image

Yeah, his comments are pretty bad. I wonder if he had any good friends that he played with that are gay but never told him? I wonder if that would change his opinion of gay people?

I think Lebron had the best quote regarding the Amaechi deal, "With teammates you have to be trustworthy, and if you're gay and you're not admitting that you are, then you are not trustworthy. So that's like the number one thing as teammates . . . we all trust each other. You've heard of the in-room locker room code. What happens in the locker room stays there. It's a trust factor."

Charles Barkley:

And although Hardaway doesn't speak for everybody, neither does Charles Barkley when he says this is simply a media issue.

''Hey, nobody cares John Amaechi is gay,'' Barkley said. ``I just find it humorous and amazing people think we care if someone is gay or not. It is always fun to hear these reporters say how we'd treat them in the locker room. Trust me, we'd treat reporters a lot worse than we treat a gay guy.''

But what would it be like? There's a reason no active player in a male team sport has ever come out. There's a reason that the one who does while active would cross the last uncrossed barrier in sports and become a modern-day Jackie Robinson. Barkley sounds naive.

''You don't think we've all played with gay guys?'' Barkley said. ``Of course we have. It has never been an issue. America, the more I live in it, the more I realize how full of it we are. If we're not bombing the wrong country, we're not fixing hurricane-relief areas.

``America is homophobic. It's so easy for [reporters]to say the other jocks won't like it. America discriminates against gay people, but we've all played with gay people.''

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/16703001.htm

90% of people who get all bent out of shape that they might share a locker room with a gay guy are deluding themselves in thinking they never had.

The other 10% are secretly thrilled at the idea.

Hardaways a pinhead and the sooner he and his chicken-wings and his car-wash and his "I shouldn't have said it" (note it's not "I shouldn't have thought it") go away the better.

Hardaways a pinhead and the sooner he and his chicken-wings and his car-wash and his "I shouldn't have said it" (note it's not "I shouldn't have thought it") go away the better.

Exaclty... I believe his apologies, because I realize he's apologizing for saying anything at all, not for what he said. He is definitely a moron etc.

I think Lebron had the best quote regarding the Amaechi deal, "With teammates you have to be trustworthy, and if you're gay and you're not admitting that you are, then you are not trustworthy. So that's like the number one thing as teammates . . . we all trust each other. You've heard of the in-room locker room code. What happens in the locker room stays there. It's a trust factor."

Nah Lebron is pretty far off there. It's not nearly that easy to just boil it all down to a trust issue. He obviously hasn't even thought about what an ordeal it can be to come out...especially in an environment like the NBA. Lebron's other comments that went along with that quote were that he thought a openly gay player wouldn't survive in the NBA. So a guy is supposed to be honest with Lebron, but not surivive? Doesn't add up.

Nah Lebron is pretty far off there. It's not nearly that easy to just boil it all down to a trust issue. He obviously hasn't even thought about what an ordeal it can be to come out...especially in an environment like the NBA. Lebron's other comments that went along with that quote were that he thought a openly gay wouldn't survive in the NBA. So a guy is supposed to be honest with him, btu not surivive? Doesn't add up.

I think from a team standpoint, Lebron is correct. He's not saying they should publicly come out, he's saying he should let his teammates know. Notice he says, "what happens in the locker room stays there. It's a trust factor." He doesn't mean he should come out like Amaechi, he just wants his teammates to be upfront, which is definitely something I would want regarding any issue on a team.

I think from a team standpoint, Lebron is correct. He's not saying they should publicly come out, he's saying he should let his teammates know. Notice he says, "what happens in the locker room stays there. It's a trust factor." He doesn't mean he should come out like Amaechi, he just wants his teammates to be upfront, which is definitely something I would want regarding any issue on a team.

You dont honestly believe that would really stay in the locker room though do you? In a locker room of 20-30 players, coaches and staff all it would take is one disaproving guy. It would definitely leak out. Then you're back to not being able to survive in the NBA. Lebron wants guys to be honest and upfront and that's fine, but he can't have it both ways. Which is exactly the problem. Right now the choice is honesty or survival.

Think of it... the general public is not ready to look up to gay people. Parents are going to be narrow-minded, and kids, especially at the age I teach, think everything that's stupid and wrong, is "gay". They associate that word with something negative. You have a player come out, and his career, if it's not completely over, it's damaged severely. Why would someone who gets paid millions of dollars and gets to be famous, take that risk?

On the other hand, being closeted SUCKS.

You dont honestly believe that would really stay in the locker room though do you? In a locker room of 20-30 players, coaches and staff all it would take is one disaproving guy. It would definitely leak out. Then you're back to not being able to survive in the NBA. Lebron wants guys to be honest and upfront and that's fine, but he can't have it both ways. Which is exactly the problem. Right now the choice is honesty or survival.

If his teammates are trustworthy and abide by the rule of "what happens in the locker room stays in the locker room," then I see no reason why it couldn't be kept secret. Look at the steroids issue. I'm sure teammates have seen other members of their team taking steroids/performance enhancing drugs in the locker room, and until recently, when things have gone up in smoke, it's been kept in the locker room.

If someone did leak it out, then they're the one that their teammates would be looking down upon. Their the ones that aren't trustworthy.

What happens in the locker room stays there.

Yeah, baby, much like the motto: "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas." Sorry, couldn't resist.

I only saw the headlines on MSN and scanned it but, for a grown adult to be THAT insecure, it sounds like HE (Hardaway) has issues.

I hate gay people...

... who drive Toyota Camrys, Priuses, ES300s and RX330s. :P

As far as this Hardaway hes probably just a closet case.

I can understand the remarks about the trust factor. Being gay and being out at work, it isn't easy. I mean, what do you do during the interview," Oh, by the way, I am gay?" No. I dare say it would make you look pushy and would give most prospective employers pause. Then when you are on the job and people start asking questions about your wife/girlfriend, etc. what do you do? I've always passed myself off as straight and then slowly confided in people as I get to know them. This can take a year or more, but it has always been successful. Professional sports is more macho than the car business, so it can't be any easier for pro athletes. Yes, I have actually had co-workers tell me they are disappointed that I didn't feel I could trust them sooner.

Forget about anything staying in the locker room. When our sales staff goes to Vegas or anywhere else and married men cavort with female company, sooner or later EVERYONE back at the store finds out. Maybe not the spouses, but the potential for revenge is certainly there.

It saddens me that we are still in this environment in 2007, but that is reality. I don't really get angry at homophobes, personally. They are either just misinformed or hiding their or past. I have had many former homophobes approach me and thank me for changing their opinion of gay people. I always bring my partner (we've been together for nearly 5 years now) to the Christmas parties at our company and the straight guys drag us to the dance floor (not because I am a good dancer, of course!).

Times are slowly changing. I just can't believe celebrities like Hardaway and Mel Gibson should know better. It is one thing to yell out an obsenity in anger and then retract it, but quite another to go on and on with your hate/prejudices. These people can't be so stupid to think there won't be a $h! storm in the media!

In an intervew, you can just flat say, "I dont talk about my personal life." Why must gay folks always have to tell the world they are gay. Straight people dont have to identify themselves that way. If they do, people question their sexuality. What is the big deal? I'm certainly not going to share what goes on in my bedroom, and its not fair for gay folk to have to share who they love in their personal life and what they do there. I certainly dont want to know who or what anyone else is doing, and I think the majority of people are like that.

As for Hardaways thoughts, they were stupid. He has the right to feel that way, but he clearly did not think before he spoke. He had to know there would be backlash after he said that. What a marooon!

Hardaway has now rendered himself completely useless to the NBA or anyone else representing basketball. Good work Hardaway, you f@#ked yourself in the ass.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/email...ws/16729225.htm

Tim Hardaway's car wash changes name after ''I hate'' scandal

By STEVE ROTHAUS

[email protected]

Former Miami Heat star Tim Hardaway's name is off his South Dixie Highway carwash, just days after he declared on a local radio program, ``I hate gay people.''

Hardaway apologized, but the backlash has cost him a national endorsement deal and an appearance at the NBA's All-Star Game weekend activities.

A local gay-rights group then called for a boycott of Hardaway's US 1 Finest Hand Car Wash at South Dixie Highway and Bird Road.

Saturday a new sign went up: Grand Luxe Auto Bathe.

Posted Image