Project Camino!

Well, I guess that the theme developing here is "restoration plus". By that I mean that the car will look close to original with subtle appearance mods/updates and some stealth performance under the skin. The color scheme, while not what I would have chosen new, works with the theme and I'm liking it so far.

The wheels I'm far from sure about as I'd like to consider more options.

Trim detail will evolve as I move forward, I'm sure.

The interior color is the biggest debate I'm having with myself right now. I think it may come down to what color dashpad I end up finding. The choices are the original tan/saddle and all black.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The interior color is the biggest debate I'm having with myself right now. I think it may come down to what color dashpad I end up finding. The choices are the original tan/saddle and all black.

If this were some TV show, I'd have a black leather seats with a white suede/alcantara upper IP and black lower IP. The door panels would be black, white, and orange, with orange stitching along the door panels and upholstery. That's just me though.. :P

I agree with NOS. The Cragars/Torque Thrusts look better than those. However, you may want to try grafting on a set of 94-96 Impala SS wheels

This rims look good on that 'bird but I don't think they would fit into what you are doing Camino.

The Torque Thrust are a fav of mine and I have grown to like the street stars as well.

If you want something really different, have you checked out the NEW Z06 rims?

Torque thrusts and Cragar S/S are knee-jerk choices for this car and they look good.

But, I want something different.

Zo6 wheels will never fit.

Yeah, they always look good.

As for the Z06 wheels, too tall? If you are worried about spacing you could use spacers. I was just an idea.

Yeah, they always look good.

As for the Z06 wheels, too tall? If you are worried about spacing you could use spacers. I was just an idea.

Spacers make me nervous and those wheels are way too different in all dimensions to make them work on this car.

My choices are a bit limited. :banghead:

OK, I understand. My brother was using spacers on his 73 Camaro to run something on it. I forget what he was playing with at the time. We were going to see if the C5 Z06 that are on my 95 would work and look good but he decided to use something else.

I know I mentioned these before, but have you thought about Street Stars? I was going to use Torque Thrusts on my 71 RS Z/28 but was given a set of these and they do look good. I am currently running Cragar S/S on my 71 Skylark.

Good old American Racing has a decent selection of wheels for a car like yours, Camino. A lot of custom wheel sites have those cool simulators where you can pick the vehicle, the color, and rim you want to see. That's what I would do, it's a great tool if you're browsing.

Good old American Racing has a decent selection of wheels for a car like yours, Camino. A lot of custom wheel sites have those cool simulators where you can pick the vehicle, the color, and rim you want to see. That's what I would do, it's a great tool if you're browsing.

The simulators don't have my car, or anything even close. :duh:

Here's an offbeat suggestion: if they'll work, how about a set of multi-spoke rims from a CTS? I'm thinking either the gunmetal finish or the chrome finish.

One thing about the Firehawk wheels and the IROC wheels that I like is that they pick up the color of the car. Makes them a bit more personal to just this car.

If you know what I mean.

Hey, if the stars don't work for you it is cool.

Now as for the IROC wheels, you looking at the late 80s style or also thinking about the 90-92 Z/28 ones as well?

How about a set of those multi-fin wheels like in the "before" picture of the Overhaulin' project? You could have the coves painted orange. I think those rims look cool in that pic.

That sort of "turbine" style wheel does go with the car's vintage. Finding a set might not be so easy though.

Camino, there is a finned wheel almost exactly like that available from American Racing. It would look killer on your '77. How about going all '70s with your project? Those finned mags with black coves, white letter tires, factory original body with just a modern engine, dressed in 70's chrome accessories... something that says "Edelbrock" would be heavy hot under that long ass hood.

The current reality:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Today I ordered all of the body mounts still available from GM, 4 of the upper mounts are no longer available but the ones on the car all look good.

All of the new suspension parts arrived yesterday and the weather is supposed to be good this coming week, so I hope to get something done soon.

Coolness, Viper. I like the black/white/black, the blue/white/blue, pearl blue/white/pearl blue, and the yellow/white/yellow. How about an orange/white/orange, like Camino was thinking in a post?

Those painted Camaro wheels are very sweet, and would look great on there, imo.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be hawt, Camino.

Edited by ocnblu

Brazen Orange/Bright White/Brazen Orange, with those Camaro rims painted Brazen Orange with trim rings and center caps, 245 front and 275 rear tires, shaved door side moldings and cargo tie-downs, new paint break, glass reveal and bed reveal moldings where necessary, rechromed or cleaned headlight bezels, rechromed or cleaned grille shell with blacked out vertical bars, cleaned or rechromed bumpers, bumper fillers checked for pliability, Brazen Orange color-keyed spray-in bedliner, cleaned, repainted engine compartment and undercarriage without too much bling so its easy to keep looking good, new hood insulator blanket, healthy crate smallblock, rebuilt or replaced transmission and diff ring and pinion, restored interior in original color with updated upholstery material (not huggy Bear), home made instrument cluster with S-W analog gauges set in a brushed aluminum plate, or a gloss black plate, speedo/odo, tach, fuel, oil pressure and temp with silver faces/black lettering, front and rear swaybars, urethane suspension bushings, new shocks. Brake system checked, rebuilt and updated as necessary, fuel tank drained and cleaned inside and out, fuel lines checked and replaced as necessary, electrical system checked and updated as necessary. Steering system checked, rebuilt and updated as necessary.

*Whew*... I'm tired!

What else? Wow... what a list, and I'm sure I forgot something. When you have something with this much potential, how do you choose where to stop? Do you have a time limit, a money limit, or both?

This will be really cool to watch, Camino, as you take us through the processes you choose to transform your project into your vision. You've got plenty of work here to keep you out of trouble for a long time.

Edited by ocnblu

WoW,Ocn!

What a well thought-out recipe!

Much of it is in the works already.

I have a FULL suspension rebuild ready to happen using all polygraphite bushings, new gas shocks, upgrade F/R sway bars, and I'm doing both front and rear suspension.

The crate motor may well be an EFI unit which will require other mods to the fuel system and tank.

As to limitations on time and budget: Yup they are there, but I am planning to divest myself of quite a bit of the current fleet and other items. For time, I want to see just how quickly I can pull this one off - so expect things to happen fast.

I can barely see the parts car under all the boxes of new stuff!

Aw man, GMTG74, that's a whole other project, and a worthy one. I hope that car is preserved, not cut up and wasted. I wouldn't mind having that thing if I had a place to keep it out of the weather.