Revealed: Audi A5 and S5

Variance

their overt unimaginative derivitive wedge shape with no interest is what they share.

face it, this thing is a big time dud.

Just like the pathetic Q7, a 5500 pound uglee useless pseudo SUV. If you want pork on wheels at least get a Yukon Denali and drive something with some style for the same money.

Audi used to equate to style. Now it equates to 'copy'.

Edited by regfootball

how original.....i mean, these don't exactly match, but what does match is how bland and derivitive they both are.

Posted Image

their overt unimaginative derivitive wedge shape with no interest is what they share.

face it, this thing is a big time dud.

Just like the pathetic Q7, a 5500 pound uglee useless pseudo SUV. If you want pork on wheels at least get a Yukon Denali and drive something with some style for the same money.

Audi used to equate to style. Now it equates to 'copy'.

No... and... No.

I largely agree with reg: the above rear shot shows the details well: audi used to mean slippery rounded shapes- their rounded off deck, compact corner lights were unique. Other aspects were also signature: slab sides and straighter lines. Now they have the same treatments everyone else does: sublte ducktail spoiler, oversized horizontal lights, side 'sculpting', the same lower bumper 'wrap-over' that's on everything from a hyundai to a bentley. It's not ugly, but it's in no way unique anymore. The a6 from a few years back has future potential as a minor '90s classic- this one; no. When you have a signature look and you abandon it for a homogenization of your competitors treatments, that's not a move forward.

Bottom line: 'Nice, what is it?'.

Full European market press release (no TDI engines in the US, and probably no fwd versions either)

Elegance and Dynamism

The new Audi A5/S5

Satty, you're spot on, this is targeting the CLK more than the 3-Series Coupe. There's only a 2" difference in length between these larger coupes and the 3-Series, but the style and price-range are completely different. The 6-Series and XK are quite a bit bigger and more expensive though.

I largely agree with reg: the above rear shot shows the details well: audi used to mean slippery rounded shapes- their rounded off deck, compact corner lights were unique. Other aspects were also signature: slab sides and straighter lines. Now they have the same treatments everyone else does: sublte ducktail spoiler, oversized horizontal lights, side 'sculpting', the same lower bumper 'wrap-over' that's on everything from a hyundai to a bentley. It's not ugly, but it's in no way unique anymore. The a6 from a few years back has future potential as a minor '90s classic- this one; no. When you have a signature look and you abandon it for a homogenization of your competitors treatments, that's not a move forward.

Bottom line: 'Nice, what is it?'.

How many Audis have you seen? ...Three? :P Some things I have to question because the "un-Audi" has been done before by Audi... and sometimes more than the "signature-Audi".

----

Rounded off decks?

1995-2001 A4

Posted Image

----

Compact corner lights?

1988-1993 V8 Quattro

Posted Image

1991-2000 Cabriolet/1992-1995 80

Posted Image

1991-1994 100/1995-1997 A6/S6

Posted Image

1994-2003 A8/S8

Posted Image

Not to mention that most Audi that preceded those also had wide horizontal taillights. The only Audis to have compact corner taillights have been the A4 (95-01, 01-05), A6 (97-04,05+), and the A3 (96-03, non-US). Even the TT's were more horizontally wide. All others have wide horizontal taillights. Odd for supposedly being "un-Audi".

----

No bumper 'wrap-over'?

2005 A6

Posted Image

2003 A4

Posted Image

Event the A6/S6 that you think is a "minor '90s classic" had it...

Posted Image

----

Otherwise, I can't argue about the swoopy body lines and sculpting. They are certainly something new for an Audi.

how original.....i mean, these don't exactly match, but what does match is how bland and derivitive they both are.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow, that's perhaps the best shot of the A5 yet. Classy. Stunning. Gorgeous. I don't know what else to say.

Anyway, comparing the A5 to the Sebring just killed off whatever credibility you had left in this thread. You're beating a dead horse at this point. We get it man, you don't like it.

oh go blow off and kneel in front of your german car.

this is a dud and you know it. if it sells 10k here this year i will be shocked.

at least the original TT was something unique. this A5 while tidy looking brings nothing new to the table.

a f-cking monte carlo is more unique. even if it doesn't have finely grained plastics inside.

the new altima coupe and G6 coupe have a lot more interesting shapes than this thing.

here's a style lesson for you

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by regfootball

I love this thing. At first blush, the shoulder line says "Elantra", yes (and not a good first impression for an expensive car), but overall, it works for me. Very solid, sleek, tight and German. I love the A5 wheels and the profile shot is killer.

reg, you drive an Aztek. I think I'll pass on that lesson. :AH-HA_wink:

...and a 500

I think the A5 does something very unique. It bucks the trend of sharp lines and creases, and blocky shapes in favor of softer flowing lines like the best cars from the late 90's had. While I love the styling of say, the Charger, it's refreshing to see something graceful like this. Can't call a modern BMW graceful, that's for sure. The character line does remind me a little of the Elantra, but the big car wears it much better.

that interior is one of the most freakin perfect interiors on the planet. I will say that side line doesn't work [when viewed from the side profile, or front 3/4 profile, from rear and rear side profile it works real well], but other than that this car is really sexy. that back end is pure sex, reminds me of my favorite car butt, the aston martins.

Edited by turbo200

• 2 months later...

The people who hate this car have gotten overly biased and snobby IMO.

There's not a disagreeable line on it. This is what the G6 coupe should have aimed to be (as opposed to a porky RSX). It has the proportions I like visually, and the chassis and powertrain will be rough and ready.

Audi hasn't done a notchback 2-door since the 4000 of the 80s. It's about time they re-entered and this is a great example, following the look of the rest of their line, as opposed to being something from way in left field.

It's quite nice to me. And it will grow the 2-door market, because the Audi fans (they do exist) and the Beverly Hills and West Hollywood crowds will eat them up.

If it was given to me, I'd drive the hell out of it and not even trip off of your weirdly spirited criticisms. So will the customers.

Edited by LosAngeles

Well you.. you... (Satty I need some help). haha You're not a part of this!

It looks classy I guess, yeah. But I don't see how people would buy this over the Cadillac, Mercedes, or BMW equivalent...

there is a Cadillac equivalent?

Cadillac I'm still waiting for my ETC.