Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

GTO or Trans Am?

Cool. I don;t even mind the Sunfire-like nose... but keep it a hardtop like the Camaro.

Screw that big ugly B-pillar, use the Camaro's greenhouse (the 1st gen. F-bodys did)

To answer your question, it certainly isn't a GTO... Trans Am all the way. This time for less overlap, I'd like to see the next sporty, RWD coupe from Pontiac be built on the 114 inch wb Zeta chassis as a V8 GTO and a six cylinder Pontiac, not Holden, G8 coupe (hate the name but support less nameplate proliferation), let the Camaro have the shorter wheelbase.

If there was a pontiac coupe program currently on the books....it would be known. :AH-HA_wink:

What you say is true but how long did it take to get the G8 program done on a already made Holden?

I still would not hold my breath for a TA! At this point I would hold even on the GTo name.

I would build a anti pony car adult performance coupe. It would be more expensive, , more powerful and and have more luxury.

Will just have to sit back and see what Holden does and if it could apply to Pontiac down the road.

Either way both the TA and GTO bring baggage that Pontiac does not need right now. I can here it now "It does not look like a Trans Am". Well Burt Reynolds does not look like Burt any more either. It is time to quit reliving the past.

Time to move into the future or steal from BMW at cut rate prices.

Let let Chevy worry about selling enough coupes now and then if they do we can move Pontiac back into the game. I think a coupe might sell again but you need to grow the market first and make sure it is there. It is better to grow then commit a lot of money ang get burned.

Edited by hyperv6

Oh no question it could probably show up pretty quick if they wanted to pull the trigger.

I get the feeling they are in a wait and see mode. They most likley have a plan but may be waiting to see the reaction to the G8 and also how well the Camaro sales are.

Also gas prices would effect any additional models. Or at least that is my feeling. Chrysler sales slowed on all the RWD last summer when gas was high.

At least with the Holden/Pontiac tie and the ability to creat quickly will let GM move quickly if the need should come. This global platform thing is going to really help all the way around.

• 1 month later...

Looks about like what I proposed for a Firebird (though the roofline suggests it's a strict 2-seater, all Vette-like--Banshee, maybe?)

It really does not matter much about the TA. After the new Camaro fails they will never consider a T/A. I'll take the Challenger

So you're a Ford guy who goes to a GM board to announce how cool a Mopar is? :rolleyes:

Now, now, kids, I think this is just a big misunderstanding. I believe 91Z meant to quote 6t5frlane, and accidently quoted LosAngeles. Can we all simmer down just a wee bit, please? :)

Yeah, me= :pokeowned:

Sorry LA, I have been off kilter since I have been outta school. Go back tomorrow and hopefully get myself back on track.

• 1 month later...

I don't think it's a stupid statement. I think that Chevrolet will be a day late and a dollar short on the new Camaro. If they get them out the door sooner then later maybe they got a shot. Gas is around $3.30 a gallon where I live. In 09 who knows. The only real reason I would take the Challenger is in the looks dept which I know is a personal thing. Sixtyeightpanther,I have owned two camaros and at least 4 other GM products that would be considered ' muscle ". I would like nothing more too see all 3 USA companies do well here and have Yoda.Honda etc fail. But the real world dictates that this will not happen. Ford will have sold at least 3-4 hundred thousand Mustangs by 09 ( new style ) They win again just as they did in 64. First out of the gate. In a nut shell I think economic reasons will likely hurt the Camaro. I said fail. That means they will not reach there goals ( i think they said 100,000 ) which is about Mustang sales. So why is a stupid statement???

• 1 month later...

I don't think it's a stupid statement. I think that Chevrolet will be a day late and a dollar short on the new Camaro. If they get them out the door sooner then later maybe they got a shot. Gas is around $3.30 a gallon where I live. In 09 who knows. The only real reason I would take the Challenger is in the looks dept which I know is a personal thing. Sixtyeightpanther,I have owned two camaros and at least 4 other GM products that would be considered ' muscle ". I would like nothing more too see all 3 USA companies do well here and have Yoda.Honda etc fail. But the real world dictates that this will not happen. Ford will have sold at least 3-4 hundred thousand Mustangs by 09 ( new style ) They win again just as they did in 64. First out of the gate. In a nut shell I think economic reasons will likely hurt the Camaro. I said fail. That means they will not reach there goals ( i think they said 100,000 ) which is about Mustang sales. So why is a stupid statement???

I guess Caminols6 agrees .....

Yeah, me= :pokeowned:

Sorry LA, I have been off kilter since I have been outta school. Go back tomorrow and hopefully get myself back on track.

I know this is two months old, but it's all good. I really was trying to figure out if you calling me out had a base in anything I said, because I know I don't agree with a lot of people here. Trolling, however? I'm too old for that and like my good reputation too much. ;)

Anyway, back to the topic....

Yes, GM is late to the party.

Not late to the party so much as they should have never bowed out in the first place.

No, I don't think that Camaro will be a failure.

Of course not. The streets love Camaro too much. And they're expecting it to hit the streets now, what with things like the Transformers appearance...it's a matter of when, not if, because GM painted themselves into a corner.

I know this is two months old, but it's all good. I really was trying to figure out if you calling me out had a base in anything I said, because I know I don't agree with a lot of people here. Trolling, however? I'm too old for that and like my good reputation too much. ;)

Anyway, back to the topic....

Not late to the party so much as they should have never bowed out in the first place.

Of course not. The streets love Camaro too much. And they're expecting it to hit the streets now, what with things like the Transformers appearance...it's a matter of when, not if, because GM painted themselves into a corner.

Yes Very Late to the Party. By the time Camaros hit the Showroom, the Transformer movie will ahve been in Blockbuster for a year already. Too late for the movie hype. I don't get GM