A letter about Monte Carlo found on another website.

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Over the years, Monte Carlo has proven itself, especially on the race track where it has attained more wins than any other vehicle in NASCAR history. Despite its proud history, upcoming additions to the Chevrolet lineup necessitate making changes to our current product portfolio. We will therefore be ceasing production of Monte Carlo on June 20, 2007. The final consensus activity will take place April 6 – 14, 2007.

During the next two years, Chevrolet will be introducing exciting new vehicles in the Mid Car and Regular Sport segments with the arrival of the Chevrolet Malibu in October 2007, and the Chevrolet Camaro in early 2009. These vehicles have received much positive press and are eagerly anticipated. We expect both of these new vehicles to generate great momentum for Chevrolet and give us an opportunity to expand our customer base and capitalize on volume opportunities within these segments.

As you can see, the Chevrolet lineup continues to evolve, positioning our portfolio extremely well in the automotive marketplace.

Thank you for your ongoing support.

Sincerely,

Edward J. Peper Jr.

Chevrolet General Manager

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers regarding the Monte Carlo Discontinuance

Q. What is the date the last Monte Carlo will be produced?

A. Wednesday, June 20, 2007.

Q. When will the last consensus take place?

A. During the April Consensus Period, April 6 – 14, 2007.

Q. When will the final Dealer Order Submission occur for Monte Carlo?

A. The final DOSP cycle will begin on Thursday, May 10, 2007, and conclude on Tuesday, May 15, 2007. All sold orders must be submitted by Wednesday, May 2, 2007.

Q. Are there plans to bring Monte Carlo back in a few years?

A. At this time, there are no plans to place the Monte Carlo name plate on any future product.

Q. Is the Camaro replacing the Monte Carlo?

A. No, the Camaro - which will go on sale in early 2009 - is targeting an entirely different segment than the current Monte Carlo. Although it will be produced in the same location as the Monte Carlo, the Camaro will be strikingly different in both size and wheel drive configuration.

Q. Why is Chevrolet discontinuing the Monte Carlo?

A. The market is really dictating this action. Over the last five years, the mid-size coupe segment has decreased 60%, to approximately 133,000 units in 2006.

Q. How does this announcement impact Impala production? Is it related to the recent change in the Impala model year production date?

A. Although Monte Carlo and Impala are produced on the same production line, the discontinuance of the Monte Carlo will not impact Impala production. The decisions to end Monte Carlo production and the change in the Impala model year production date are unrelated.

Q. What does the future hold for Monte Carlo and NASCAR?

A. Monte Carlo SS will continue to represent Chevrolet on the track for the majority of the 2007 NASCAR Nextel Cup and Busch Series races. As previously announced, however, the Impala SS will be the moniker Chevrolet uses on the upcoming NASCAR Nextel Cup’s Car of Tomorrow. The new Impala SS Nextel Cup car will debut at the March 2007 Bristol, TN race, and compete on tracks smaller than 1.5 miles, all road courses and the second Talladega race. In total, the Impala SS Nextel Cup car will participate in 16 races, while the Monte Carlo will participate in all other Nextel Cup and Busch Series races.

Q. Will there be a commemorative edition for the final Monte Carlo production?

A. No.

photos via rsportscars.com

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I was VERY sad when they killed the Monte Carlo.... in 1988.

Since then they've slapped the MC emblem on a few boring FWD

jelly-beans but those cars were never Monte Carlos if you ask me.

Translation: We could care a less about the Monte Carlo and have let it wither and die. Decontenting it saved us a few dollars to play around with liquid steel, hire a kid for future car styling, continue producing outdated 3800/4 speed automatic powertrains, come up with stupid alphanumeric names for imported Australian cars that look nothing like there respective devision they are being sold under, throw out perfectly good names that used to sell in huge quantities, hire reverse thinking engineers that design new upcoming models like the 08 Malibu that have LESS interior room than there smaller outgoing brothers despite being on longer wheelbases and ultra bland generic Camry styling tied to a half way decent interior and V6 engines that get LESS mileage than the outgoing versions. Is it me or is GM committing suicide with all there future plans save the new Camaro and truck line?

Translation: We could care a less about the Monte Carlo and have let it wither and die. Decontenting it saved us a few dollars to play around with liquid steel, hire a kid for future car styling, continue producing outdated 3800/4 speed automatic powertrains, come up with stupid alphanumeric names for imported Australian cars that look nothing like there respective devision they are being sold under, throw out perfectly good names that used to sell in huge quantities, hire reverse thinking engineers that design new upcoming models like the 08 Malibu that have LESS interior room than there smaller outgoing brothers despite being on longer wheelbases and ultra bland generic Camry styling tied to a half way decent interior and V6 engines that get LESS mileage than the outgoing versions. Is it me or is GM committing suicide with all there future plans save the new Camaro and truck line?

God I wish I had an opening on my staff, I'd hire you! :smilewide:

You can be upset with GM all you like but if people are not buying why sell it They only moved just over 31,000 last year if I recall and only 7,000 this year so far.

Bottom line outside the Mustang mid size Coupes are a hard sell in this country anymore. The Camaro is all that has a fighting chance and they are only hoping to get to just over 100,000 a year. At this point I would be suprised if a GTO comes back and if it does it will be a limited export of the Monaro Coupe.

The GP coupe, Died the Eldo Died, the Toronado Died, the Coupe Deville Died, Every full size coupe Died, due to the lack of sales not a lack of GMs interest. GM could care less if it has two or four doors as long as it sells.

I am not a Camry fan but they sell and that is what GM is going to do sell cars people buy.

If more people bought Montes they would build them it is that simple. The People of America have spoken and they don't care about the Monte.

My money is on GM saving it's self selling everything you just complained about.

I am a coupe guy and love and miss them but I also know what I like and want is not what the general public wants so I have learned to accept my 4 door GP because that is what is selling.

There is still something strangely captivating about a car like the Monte Carlo.

For us the enthusiast we look at cars like many did years ago. But for the general public today, they want a back seat you can get into with out doing the limbo and to get from point A to point B. Lets face it one look at many of todays cars prove most do not care what it looks like they only want to know what they monthly payment is.

Today the average public see Automobiles as appliances and just a way to get around. Few understand styling and image of most cars.

In the past many cars were works of art and men like Harley Earl sculpted metal like other artist in the past worked in marble.

Today many cars are designed in the wind tunnel and most buyers only care how hight the trunk lift over is.

Todays buyers would reject many of the classics and say why would you want that.

A coupe is sexy but in todays world few find cars in general sexy any longer.

My favourite Monte Carlos are the '70-'72 and the '81-'87. I still feel that Chevrolet needs another coupe to compliment the Camaro... perhaps a Malibu. Something for people tamer than Camaro buyers... but then again, the 6 cylinder Camaro could be seen as covering that market by some armchair market analysts. I'm not sure I agree with that from where my armchair is situated.

We've got Honda coming with a sportier looking Accord coupe.

Datsun has their new Altima coupe.

Pontiac has the G6 coupe.

Saturn may be getting the smashing new Opel coupe shown in concept form.

Hyundai's Tiburon is rumored to be going RWD next round.

We don't know or care what Toyota's doing with the Solara.

I think a Malibu coupe should be produced, and it could be done with a minimum of investment. It would sell to FWD devotees and shy folks, a perfectly valid class of buyers.

*rolls eyes*

Once again ... this is OLD FREEKIN' NEWS ... 20 YEARS old, in fact.

;)

If more people bought Montes they would build them it is that simple.

More people (well, actually, just myself, apparently) would buy them if the ACTUALLY made them.

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker

PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Get to what's real" ... Van Halen ... 'Jump'

Well, if nothing else, now would be a good time to pick one up for a good deal.

I get a feeling quite a few of these will show up in high school parking lots... :rolleyes:

My parents neighbor just traded their son's 99 Grand Am for a 06 Ls.

with the discounts and trade ins-I think they got it around 8500....

Just when the new look was finally growing on me too...

Good riddance, I say.

Never liked when it came out, I don't like it now, and I will never like it ever! An ugly car that kept giving Chevrolet redneck labeling and nothing in the way of styling breakthroughs. All it got was hand me downs from the Impala and it should have received nothing. They only kept it alive for Nascar which like I said just before only hindered Chevrolets image. Chevrolet is moving on to a more modern theme across the board and its about damn time.