Spy Photos of 2008 Cadillac STS

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Click this link for photos:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2008-cadillac-....html#more-4873

From leftlane news:

A new prototype for Cadillac's facelifted STS has been spotted by spy photographers, revealing a new chromed fender vent, among other new styling cues. The STS's new blingy feature will join similar applications on the Escalade and the upcoming CTS.

The fender vent was brought into vogue by BMW, and has since become an expected styling cue among nearly all luxury brands. The fact that it has also trickled down to such cars as the Ford Taurus and Focus apparently hasn't yet dampened the enthusiasm for its use among the design community.

A camouflaging bra covered the nose of this prototype, but the grille appears to be consistent with other revised STS prototypes photographed earlier. The new grille treatment–inspired by the Cadillac Sixteen, the new CTS and the latest Escalade–results in a cleaner face for Caddy's five-series-fighter.

A recent photo released by GM to members of the press showed the revamped 2008 STS interior.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Click this link for photos:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2008-cadillac-....html#more-4873

From leftlane news:

A new prototype for Cadillac's facelifted STS has been spotted by spy photographers, revealing a new chromed fender vent, among other new styling cues. The STS's new blingy feature will join similar applications on the Escalade and the upcoming CTS.

The fender vent was brought into vogue by Buick and Packard over 50 years ago and has since become an expected styling cue among nearly all luxury brands. The fact that it has also trickled down to such cars as the Ford Taurus and Focus apparently hasn't yet dampened the enthusiasm for its use among the design community.

A camouflaging bra covered the nose of this prototype, but the grille appears to be consistent with other revised STS prototypes photographed earlier. The new grille treatment–inspired by the Cadillac Sixteen, the new CTS and the latest Escalade–results in a cleaner face for Caddy's five-series-fighter.

A recent photo released by GM to members of the press showed the revamped 2008 STS interior.

fixed....

fixed....

I am already so sick of these fender vents. Everyone is doing them. It will eventually date the designs. I am working on a future RWD (Mustang based) 4 door sedan called Futura (yup, like Ford did with the Interceptor, but I began way before that concept, and mine is better IMO-albeit biased LOL).

I had this vent on some concept drafts, but no longer will use it. Its becoming so overused its almost a cheezy item now.

Just my 2cents on this. Others love it I am sure. Too bad though its so common.

Edited by ketch

I think the fender vent looks good if 1) It's utilized in an original manner and 2) It has some sort of brand DNA. The Buick fender vents, for example have both brand DNA and an original execution (In relation to most everything out there today) I'm also a huge fan of the previous generation Land Rover fender treatment. (I think it was BMW derived, since that's who owned them during that era)

The Cadillac fender vents, although they look excellent on the CTS and new Escalade line, are all so varied and kinda generic looking... This STS fender vent looks cheap and tacked on. Not to mention, the front fenders are going to look HORRIBLE with the RANDOM placement of the tacked on vent, the RANDOM placement of the marker light (which wasn't random until the vent was layered on top of it) and the COMPLETELY RANDOM GM emblem.

The new grille looks equally lame...

GM needs to really do something with the lame duck STS and SRX in order to keep the momentum going. They're both good vehicles, but are not worthy of the current Cadillac products (CTS line & Escalade line)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

I actually approve of the changes. They keep interest up. Hopefully the updated interior is the one from China. I would be satisfied with the current STS with that interior along with the exterior enhancements caught here. For those who aren't pleased, just keep in mind that all these updates actually hint at what will replace this STS. It's obvious the next mid-level Cadillac will have more luxury and character (or is the next mid-level Cadillac actually the 2008 CTS? :huh: )

I agree about fender vents, makes the cars look cheap! Are you listening HOLDEN & CADILLAC?

The Holden WM's have LED side turn signals: those look way cooler than the Escalade's and even the '08 CTS's IMO.

As for the STS redesign, it looks to be very basic: new side vents, new wheels... it's that SLS interior that will get the most attention, I think. Maybe GM could import a limited run of SLS from China as the STS-L, to test the waters until the NG STS/DTS comes online.

Edited by ZL-1

My favorite Fender vents are those on the Jaguar XK.

It is a bit of a fad these days, with everything from this to the Ford Focus to the damn Super Duty wearing them.

Yeah, definitely a fad. Granted, I think they work on Buicks, because of the history with the port-style vents. Wheel vents are OK as long as the car is sporty enough AND the vents are actually functional.

The only other place they belong is on a big f-ing truck. I can respect that the Super Duty has them, since it ties in with their even larger offerings. Though, the Silvy HD with the hood louvers is nicer.

Sheet metal still looks too bland for my taste. It could use some better side character lines in the Cadillac design language. Getting tired of the slabside sedans bigtime!

Yeah. STS=boring. I agree that big slab sides need some detail work to maintain interest. (though let's avoid the cladding please).

Fender vents suck when they are something you have to explain. They're especially embarassing when they're relatively tiny and surrounded by chrome.

Here's probably my favorite vent... I love how architectural it is.

Posted Image

Back to the STS... I hope it gets the Chinese interior at least. Crisper sheetmetal and a less stubby rear end would help, too. The '08 CTS's softness works because it's accented by a pointy grille, greenhouse, and character line, but it doesn't work on something as boring as the STS.

The fender vent does look tacked on and cheap, especially considering the turn signal indicator isn't integrated into the vent or the side view mirror.

yes it needs better execution and you can't just stick the same vent on every car!

The interior is the bright spot here.

yes and that is what needed the most improvement.

Sheet metal still looks too bland for my taste. It could use some better side character lines in the Cadillac design language. Getting tired of the slabside sedans bigtime!

they need some nice cut lines in the metal to maintain interest. and i think that gm learned from pontiac that battle cladding does not help - thank god.

Back to the STS... I hope it gets the Chinese interior at least. Crisper sheetmetal and a less stubby rear end would help, too. The '08 CTS's softness works because it's accented by a pointy grille, greenhouse, and character line, but it doesn't work on something as boring as the STS.

i would like to see this turn into a 4 door "coupe". i know that it's a fad but a stubby rear end with a hatchback like the mazda 6 i think would be really different and allow for easier loading and unloading of stuff from the trunk.

This is just MHO but I am waiting for the next episode in this Caddy revolution. The Slade is a dressed up Tahoe which is good but not groundbreaking.

And the NG CTS is great but what is next.

There seems to be a lot of unknowns with Caddy!

Will there be a NG STS? When is the BLS coming? When does the Theta based Caddy arrive?

As good as Caddy is it still needs to focus on expanding its lineup and to give consumers at least every option that is available on BMW, Mercedes and Lexus.

Grill is definitely CTS-inspired, definitely not the same as the Chinese SLS (note less slats in the upper grill and addition of slats to the lower intake).

Still waiting for a fantastic revolutionary luxury vehicle that is bold and well executed...think Imaj.