Alpha program in doubt?

You ARE uninformed if you haven't driven a RWD car with traction control. This is the big differentiator from 20 years ago.

not to mention by 2010 all GM cars will have standard stability control, including ABS. AWD will also be an option for those who can't help but worry about something they have never tried.

Selling to fleets is only a volume game. They don't make any money so don't help GM's financial situation particular when they make up major percentages of their sales. These sales will fill up factories which is fine when the need to do so is short term. It is not a long term solution to lack of demand.

nor is it a solution for image. Do we want GM to be a rental car company in the US, eventually relegated to where Ford, DCX, and Hyundai are stagnated at, or do we want them to become world class competitors worthy of being sold around the globe, and top sellers around the world?

I wonder of all those who demand AWD and FWD have really ever spent much time be hind the wheel of a RWD?

I have been driving them for 25 years in snow often over ten inches and always get where I am going.

I am affraid many today just don't have the skills to drive in the snow because they never had to do it in a RWD car or a car with out Stability, Traction and ADS controls. Contrary to some a car can get throught quite a bit of bad roads with out a lot of drama and it dose not take F1 skill levels.

Our last major snow cleared 18 inches a few weeks ago. All the cars off the road were SUV 4x4's and one FWD and one V6 RWD Firebird in a big pile of snow but he was still moving.

Limited slip rear diff is the the key to making it a pleasure to drive in bad conditions but you don't even have to have it.

Even my Comp G GP with Stability Control is not perfect. I hit it hard in a parking lot today and if pushed the Stability control still can's over ride some slippery surfaces. I got the dreaded FWD push and the car would not turn. If I had RWD I would not have lost my steering and could use the gas to pull the rear out to turn the car.

FWD is user friendly with it's point and gas action but RWD gives you more control if you know how to use it.