2008 VW Scirocco

HarleyEarl

I ran across this earlier today on Jalopnik. I wonder if there is any truth to it. I would be very angery if VW got a sporty 2X2 before Chevy does :angry: .

David

Posted Image

It started as a hot, dry wind from North Africa that made southern Europeans doff their clothes and engage in passionate intercourse beneath fig trees. Next, it was a Volkswagen (pictured). After that, none so much. Now, as the guys at The German Car Blog have translated from Auto Motor und Sport, VW is planning a successor to the abandoned sporty coupe that will hit sometime in 2008. It’ll be a 2+2 built from the Golf platform, get VW’s 1.4-liter Twincharger (supercharged / turbocharged) and be priced in the $20,000-$25,000 range. Interesting fact: In Libya, the Scirocco wind is called Ghibli, which once named one of our most favorite Maseratis.

Edited by Diognes56

I just noticed someone else is posting same stuff.....could someone merge the two?

[post="20964"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:lol: You must have posted this while I was looking for more info, seems like you found what I was looking for :lol: .

As for VW's twin-charged motor (atleast the one I know about) it puts out 170hp out of a 1.4L. Full artlice: HERE

Sep 3, 2005
VW Develops Turbocharged and Supercharged Engine for Mass Consumption

by Justin Couture / American Auto Press

Since When Could Any 1.4-Liter Production Piston Engine Make 170-Horsepower?

First, there was TDI, Volkswagen's version of turbo diesel injection. Over the decades it has become what might now be the world's best-known diesel 
And now for something completely different... TSI. The world's first "Twincharger" enhanced engine. A powerplant that's both turbocharged and supercharged! (Photo: Volkswagen of America) 
engine lineup, a trademark name for some of the world's most advanced and most powerful diesel engines.

Then, not four years ago, VW introduced another three-letter acronym, FSI, which stands for Fuel Stratification Injection, VAG's version of direct-gasoline injection. The technology that fuels common-rail turbodiesel engines has been adapted for gasoline use, injecting a fine mist of gasoline directly into the combustion chamber to promote better combustion. Compared to traditional fuel injection, FSI engines generally make 10 percent more power, while using 10 percent less fuel. FSI technology proved itself in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, helping Audi's R8R racers take 1st, 2nd and 3rd place sweeps three years in a row.

And now for something completely different... TSI. The world's first "Twincharger" enhanced engine. A powerplant that's both turbocharged and supercharged!

David

Oooo... interesting. I'm a VW fan with reservations about their current state, but that new Scirocco, at $20-$25k (a traditional VW value price! Yay!), could go a long way toward healing some wounds. It would look better without the chrome tongue though... maybe just the logo and crossbar and leave the rest body color.

Oooo... interesting.  I'm a VW fan with reservations about their current state, but that new Scirocco, at $20-$25k (a traditional VW value price!  Yay!), could go a long way toward healing some wounds.  It would look better without the chrome tongue though... maybe just the logo and crossbar and leave the rest body color.

[post="20990"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, looks like they might be headed in the right direction. Supposedly they are trying to get back to being a value brand. Recent article: HERE

Sep 18, 2005
New Volkswagen CEO Steering Iconic Brand Back to Being Value Leader

by Trevor Hofmann / American Auto Press

Bernhard Says VW North America is "A Company in Crisis"

Finally there's someone with good old fashioned common sense running Volkswagen. Not that Herr Dr. Bernd Pischetsrieder, 
Finally there's someone with good old fashioned common sense running Volkswagen, new CEO Wolfgang Bernhard. (Photo: Volkswagen of America) 
chairman of the board of management of Volkswagen AG doesn't have his act together, he most obviously does as he managed to lure Wolfgang Bernhard away from DaimlerChrysler and placed him in the top position over the iconic VW brand, but ex-Volkswagen Chairman Ferdinand Piëch truly didn't understand VW's core value proposition at all.

Rather than allow Volkswagen to continue its leadership as the premium make among entry-level brands, a position that it has earned by always offering slightly sportier, more solid feeling cars with better interior quality than its Asian and American rivals, Piëch had a "vision" of Volkswagen as a premium brand, right up there with 
VW has long been considered the premium make among entry-level brands, a position that it has earned by always offering slightly sportier, more solid feeling cars with better interior quality than its Asian and American rivals. (Photo: Volkswagen of America) 
BMW, Mercedes-Benz and, ironically, Audi. The result of his vision is the Phaeton luxury sedan, one of the most impressive vehicles in the full-size premium four-door market segment, unfortunately saddled with a badge that most consumers associate with thrift and economy.

David

Except for the clasic VW Beetle (yopu know the 50s/60s air cooled RE/RWD ones) the Scirocco and Corrado have always been my favorites. My best friend Mike had one back in the day... a G60 and he used to race SCCA and ice race it. That car handeled like a freekin go-kart by the time he tunned the suspension in it. Later he got a VR6 one and later still my buddy justin bought a 16valve Scirocco. That little car was a true sleeper after he threw on the turbo.

Here's almost exactly what they looked like:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dave: that's an excellent point. If the Corrado had not Cost almost $30,000 it would still be around. Back in the early 90s it was WAY overpriced.

• 2 weeks later...
VW needs to cut, chop, torch, I don't know...get rid of the weight somehow in their cars. They used to have some of the most pure and inspiring cars to drive. Now that they have been in the american market so long they feel that they need to make everything bloated. Is that a slam on american cars hmmm....I think it is. The Solstice has been the only true american car to come out in a while that is somewhat light. The Corrado though was a kickass car and so was the Scirocco. My friend had a 91/92 GTi and that car was so fun to drive and then like Kirstie Alley the pounds came 'a piling on.

Aren't they bringing back the Corrado as well?

I'm sure it's either one or the other... it's like Chevy bringing back the Chevy II and Nova.... it's the same vehicle just different gen. Edited by Sixty8panther

• 2 months later...

Here's almost exactly what they looked like:

Posted Image

That thing reminds me of the Chevrolet Corsica/Beretta!
Depending on price and quality/reliability, this new VW could be my favourite new small coupe! (Currently, that title belongs to the Chevrolet Cobalt (especially in SS trim))

Sep 3, 2005
VW Develops Turbocharged and Supercharged Engine for Mass Consumption

by Justin Couture / American Auto Press

Since When Could Any 1.4-Liter Production Piston Engine Make 170-Horsepower?

WTF?

I an think of a couple of 1.2L and 1L engine that make 170 easy Edited by Dragon