Quick Question

Good one.

Does the 225 have a trip odometer? If it does, and it reads 00000, the knob isn't going to 'do' anything because it already did.

It reminds me of Buick's safety Buzzer system: on my '59 there's a small knob and a tiny window to the left of the speedo where a drum rotates with the knob to show speeds from 20 to 110MPH, and the speedo buzzes when you surpass that.

It also reminds me of my '64 & '65 Pontiac's Electro-Cruise knob, but both those years also have a needle that swings across the speedo to choose your cruise speed. Besides the needle, the knob also won't 'do' anything when the car is not running at speed. Clean the speedo face off and shine a strong flashlight on each warning lamp- look for one that says 'CRUISE'.

Good one.

Does the 225 have a trip odometer? If it does, and it reads 00000, the knob isn't going to 'do' anything because it already did.

It reminds me of Buick's safety Buzzer system: on my '59 there's a small knob and a tiny window to the left of the speedo where a drum rotates with the knob to show speeds from 20 to 110MPH, and the speedo buzzes when you surpass that.

It also reminds me of my '64 & '65 Pontiac's Electro-Cruise knob, but both those years also have a needle that swings across the speedo to choose your cruise speed. Besides the needle, the knob also won't 'do' anything when the car is not running at speed. Clean the speedo face off and shine a strong flashlight on each warning lamp- look for one that says 'CRUISE'.

I have to agree with balthazar...

My uncle growing up had an old Regal, and whenever we got in the car my brother would set his stupid thing to a low speed so the alarm (buzzer) would go off as soon as he passed it.

I checked all the warning lights...2 turn signals, hot/cold temp, and e-break...thats it

due to the fact thats its the base custom..it might have been there for the cruise control...which it was probably never equipped with.

who knows...who cares

and no, there is no trip odom.

Edited by Ravenfreak13

http://forums.aaca.org/showflat.php?Cat=0&...ge=0#Post452592

In '67, the same placement & styled knob is optional Electro-Cruise. Buick may not have used a speedo-pointer by '66, maybe it was just 'press at speed' and it would engage. '65 Pontiac owner's manual states E-C works at 30 MPH and above- Buick's should be the same.

The earlier styles with the speedo pointer were fun: you could be in cruise at say 35, whip the knob to the right and the car would downshift and rocket forward under near full-throttle.

A pic underhood of the carb with the aircleaner off, and the firewall area would show me if the cruise components were on your '66.

Here's the (very large) pic from the '67 brochure- look at pic 6:

http://tocmp.com/brochures/Buick/1967/Full...ge%2055_jpg.jpg

Raven- if you look just to the right of the '80 MPH' mark on the black interior Electra, you can see a small off-white dot. That's the tip of the Electro-Cruise needle- same as in my '64 GP.

What's different from my Pontiacs is there does not appear to be any warning lamp for the system; in '64 Pontiac had a 'CRUISE" lamp, and in '65 the system got even more complicated, with 'SPEED" 'AUTO" and "CRUISE" lamps. For some reason I don't see ANY lamps for Buick '66, and this just isn't right IMO.

Your needle may have broken/fallen off or be stuck out of sight. And the possibility still exists that it IS a dummy knob. Underhood will show cruise components or not.

It's gotta do something. Like Balthazar said there's no "dummy knobs" back in the 1960s.

Maybe on Toyotas & Datsuns but not on a Buick. If there's a knob it does something.

Seriously...it does nothing...and the 1967 riv brochure had the same knob in the same place and it was for cruise...and bal said theres no cruise components thereofre I have a nice rare base custom with a rare GM dummy knob.

Honestloy the original owner who bought it only bought it for food shopping...plus she was 60+...therefore im sure she didnt order any special options.

Well, hardy har har har to my discovery today, I found the cruise needle laying down in the bottom of the speedometer! so I took some plyers and turned the now not dummy knob and the little needle popped up! So YAY! I have glide to speed cruise control...which I can now claim that my 41 yr. old electra is better equipped then my 9 yr old saturn.

Damn you Raven, do you know what you put me thru on this?? j/k

Sheesh.

Again- you have no cruise componentry underhood, I am back to thinking --esp with your low/no option 225-- that this is the Safety Buzzer, which was standard on '65 Electras (can't find detailed enough info for '66).

Damn you Raven, do you know what you put me thru on this?? j/k

Sheesh.

Again- you have no cruise componentry underhood, I am back to thinking --esp with your low/no option 225-- that this is the Safety Buzzer, which was standard on '65 Electras (can't find detailed enough info for '66).

well...i do hav one option which i thank the world for, the strato vinyl seats...imagine what condition cloth would have been in by now.

Also, I started spraying the lower dash since it had begun to rust...i found the exact color match.

k thanks...i do hav a dummy sound system....no speaker behind the back speaker plate

I believe that was very common.

because stereo and Mono where options.