1962 Pontiac Grand Prix commercial

I loved the 07 ad!

Moi aussi. The 1962 ad is fun but the only thing that was going through my head was "vague handling." If a 1976 Cutlass Supreme was vague, I would expect a 1962 GP to be even more so.

The grilles shown are reserved for the GXP. The base model and now-defunct GT get the slightly less attractive one. My ONLY reservation is the slightly exaggerated cat eyes up front (while everything else is beautifully contoured).

This car's styling is flattered by lighter colors...principally white and, to some extent, silver. Viva Grand Prix!

The 1962 ad is fun but the only thing that was going through my head was "vague handling." If a 1976 Cutlass Supreme was vague, I would expect a 1962 GP to be even more so.

You have it backwards.

The 1st gen GPs were smart, confident handlers, esp with the optional handling package. Low center of gravity with Wide Track, 4-wheel coils and a 4-link rear suspension drives circles around the average '70s A-body, which by that time was slightly heavier than the '62. And 60% of the handling was attributed to the tires: modern rubber on a '60s Pontiac improves things even further. I ran 70-series radials on my '64 GP and it handled shockingly & contemporarily well; I know it would outhandle a '76 Cutlass without breaking a sweat. Most '70s cars were tuned for 'cush' anyway; '60s Pontiacs benefited from a lot of various performance campaigning and it's innovative Divisional Engineering department.

Never knock the unknown based solely on age.

You have it backwards.

The 1st gen GPs were smart, confident handlers, esp with the optional handling package. Low center of gravity with Wide Track, 4-wheel coils and a 4-link rear suspension drives circles around the average '70s A-body, which by that time was slightly heavier than the '62. And 60% of the handling was attributed to the tires: modern rubber on a '60s Pontiac improves things even further. I ran 70-series radials on my '64 GP and it handled shockingly & contemporarily well; I know it would outhandle a '76 Cutlass without breaking a sweat. Most '70s cars were tuned for 'cush' anyway; '60s Pontiacs benefited from a lot of various performance campaigning and it's innovative Divisional Engineering department.

Never knock the unknown based solely on age.

I'm basing this on a car owned by some friends of ours growing up - they hung on to a bronze 65 Bonneville convertible. I believe it had something like a 421 or a 429 V8. They kept it in beautiful condition for many years thereafter. I had the chance to drive it once and, between the garish proportions and the entirely non-communicative steering and suspension, I assumed that the introductory GPs and Rivs or pretty much anything dubbed as a touring car in that era would be the same way. Keep in mind that I "woke up" to cars right around when the catalytic converter came out. That's probably not a good thing.

And I 'woke up' to cars a bit after that, but I was always around vintage iron (by choice).

The '65s were not as athletic as the '62-64s, but they are predictable to the limit. Again- tires make the world of difference. Comparatively number steering has never bothered me in the least- it's all in what you are used to. Suspension is very good IMO without being heavily dampened and hampered by computer interference. It's NOT the geometery or design, but the world of shocks & tires has made leaps & bounds of progress since the early '60s. Shocks & tires are components of regular replacement- it's far eaiser to 'go modern' with these vs. hunting out factory original-spec units, and beyond a chalk-mark auction bunny, there's little reason to.

Edited by balthazar