What Computer You Runnin' On?

NOS2006

Custom bulit... Marcia's brother put it togeather. The case is from a late 90s Gateway but the guts are all 1 or 2 years old. It's runing an Athalon processor... other than that I'm clueless. Used to be pretty computer literate but I just don;t give a F anymore. Not my passion like cars. BTW: I will never buy another IBM/comp. again. I want to get back to Macs. Nothing like a good solid Mac. the G4s I used in College ran flawlessly.

I have a 17in LCD flat panel monitor with an E machines processor with processing speeds I have no clue of nor anything else. However I do know that the speakers are playing Green Day and they sound pretty damn good. I got this earlier in the year after my 7 year old HP died.

Custom-built desktop PC. - P4 2.4GHz - 1 GB 400MHZ DDR RAM - nVidia ti4200 w/ 128mb RAM - combined 200 GB HD storage - 5.1 speakers - Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value sound card - 19" Dell LCD display - DVD+/-RW drive. It's about due for a video upgrade. Processor can go another couple years. At that point I'll probably build an all-new system based on the Shuttle "barebones" system design (much smaller PC case).

Me... Why I have the fastest and most reliable computer you've ever seen. It's a 6 year old Gateway Essential with Windows 98, Pentium III processor, CD drive, and a 15" moniter!!! It's so so so so so so so so fast!!!

[post="21162"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think you and my parents have the same computer...

Then again-they just got a top of the line gateway computer this week...

Several computers here: 1. Desktop: Sempron 2300+ with 512MB RAM, 160GB + 80GB Hard drive, GeForce 4 Ti4200 with 64MB. Gaming rig and daily driver with Windows XP. 2. Laptop: Asus M5N, Pentium M 1.5GHz /w 256MB, 40GB -OR- 10GB Hard drive (one for Windows XP and one for Mac OS X). Backup and miscellaneous test bed. 3. Any university network / lab computer. Varies from Pentium IIIs to Pentium 4s. 4. Old laptop, Thinkpad 240Z, Celeron 500MHz with 192MB, 20GB Hard drive, Mandrake Linux. In-house SSH Server.

PC @ work: Dell OptiPlex GX280. P4 3.2GHz, 512MB, 80GB, CDRW, dual 21" monitors Laptop @ work: Dell Inspiron 8000. P4 2.0GHz, 512MB, 40GB, CDRW/DVD, 15" LCD PC @ home: custom built 1GHz PIII, 256MB RAM, 2 Hard drives (80GB, 17GB), dual boot WinXP/Linux. CDRW, DVD, 17" monitor Laptop @ home: HP Pavilion ZT3000. Pentim-M 1.7GHz, 768MB, 60GB, 15.4" WUXGA

Canadian made: MDG, locally assembled and sold. Bought three years ago, then just spent $800 (don't ask!) upgrading it last month . Never, ever use Future Shop for anything, boys and girls! They started the SIMPLE project of adding 512mb of RAM, putting in a new video card and adding a DVD burner, charging me $550 to do that, then I had to pay a guy over $200 to wipe the computer completely and reinstall everything because whatever Future Shop did buggered up the system. Then, of course, I had to spend another !00 on a new modem and network card because I couldn't find the original discs from three years ago and the old modem is "no longer supported." Frankly, if the auto industry was the same as the computer industry, we'd all be riding in horse and buggies because they would be more reliable. Anyway, P4, 1.7ghz, 768mb DDR RAM, Radion ATI 9550, 80gig hard drive, 19 CRT monitor (it is ugly and huge!) I just want to get another couple years out of it then I will buy a laptop.

Canadian made:  MDG, locally assembled and sold.
  Bought three years ago, then just spent $800 (don't ask!) upgrading it last month .  Never, ever use Future Shop for anything, boys and girls!  They started the SIMPLE project of adding 512mb of RAM, putting in a new video card and adding a DVD burner, charging me $550 to do that, then I had to pay a guy over $200 to wipe the computer completely and reinstall everything because whatever Future Shop did buggered up the system.  Then, of course, I had to spend another !00 on a new modem and network card because I couldn't find the original discs from three years ago and the old modem is "no longer supported."
  Frankly, if the auto industry was the same as the computer industry, we'd all be riding in horse and buggies because they would be more reliable.
  Anyway,

P4, 1.7ghz, 768mb DDR RAM, Radion ATI 9550, 80gig hard drive, 19 CRT monitor (it is ugly and huge!)
  I just want to get another couple years out of it then I will buy a laptop.

[post="21333"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

For that price, I'd rather get a brand new computer. Probably would cost you less. At least you have the keyboard, mouse and monitor, you just need the system unit.

• Office Desktop: Dell Dimension 4600 w/ 19" flat panel LCD
  • Office Laptop: Apple PowerBook G4 15"
  • Home Desktop: Apple iMac G5 17"
I swore I would never touch a goofy Apple, until my Ph.D. advisor used some fellowship $ to get me the PowerBook. It's cool, so I figured I'de replace the 7 year old Gateway with the iMac.

I am the winnar! Here are my computers from best to worst:

2100xp Athlon, 768mb ram, 128 Geforce 4 vid card, WinXP
450mhz k6-II, 312mb ram, 32mb vid card, Linux Ubuntu
600mhz ViA EPIA, 256mb ram, onboard vid card, Linux ubuntu
IMac, 8.6OSx, that's about all I know - my roommate gave it to me.

Posted Image

I just got a new computer last week.....Sony Vaio RA-840G. - Pentium D Processor 820, 2.8GHZ - Windows Media Center Edition 2005 - 1GB 533MHz Ram - 250Gb Hard Drive - ATI Radeon X300 128 DDR SDRAM - DVD +- R/RW drive - DVD-Rom Drive - Sony's Liquid Cooling System - 17 inch Sony Flat Panel LCD w/ XBrite. - Logitech 5.1 Surround Speakers At Work: IBM ThinkCenter - Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ - 512 Ram - Windows XP Pro - 100Gb Hard Drive - DVD Rom - CD/RW Drive - 17 inch IBM ThinkVision Flat Panel LCD Edited by CadillacCTS

Oh, I forgot to add that we blew up my old PC with a half stick of dynamite about a month ago. I attempted to record the destruction, however I was not about to stand close enough for the thing to throw shrapnel at me.

I custom built mine about a year ago. I never built one prior so I had to do a ton of research beforehand but it was worth it. It's been rock solid. Athlon 3000 1.5G memory I don't know the other specs - mobo, video card, etc. I'd have to dig them up.

I have an old Dell with 550MHz. It was top of the line when it was new, and while it's not really slow since I have cable, it's pretty old. I'd say at least 6 years old. My sister got a cool laptop for college. It's a Dell 8500 with 2.4 GHz I think, it's pretty fast but the internet is actually slower since it's on wireless.