1987 Cadillac Eldorado commercial

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU49ltKDXNQ

Hard to believe that car was smaller than CTS at a 188 inches and using a 4.1 liter V8 rated at a 130 hp. Hard to believe that car looked the way it did too. This was during the good old bad days when GM downsized everything. This car was a sales flop until they face lifted in 1990 and up sized it and redesigned it in 1992. This is the kind of stuff Cadillac is fighting to overcome in todays market. This car is the way some see Cadillac.

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU49ltKDXNQ

Hard to believe that car was smaller than CTS at a 188 inches and using a 4.1 liter V8 rated at a 130 hp. Hard to believe that car looked the way it did too. This was during the good old bad days when GM downsized everything. This car was a sales flop until they face lifted in 1990 and up sized it and redesigned it in 1992. This is the kind of stuff Cadillac is fighting to overcome in todays market. This car is the way some see Cadillac.

I don't think many see Cadillac with this car in mind. I think most see it as the big, lumbering, boat that was typified by the Deville. This said, I remember when that style of Eldorado and the sister Seville product was released and I was shocked at how small the cars were and how bland they styling was. If you'll pay attention to the video you'll notice even the rear vertical fins were blended into the body whereas later MY Eldo's with the same style (may be even the last MY of this style) they made the fins more pronounced and noticeable. I remember thinking whether people would plunk down the big bucks for something like that did not have an impressive look to it. Sales dropped big time from the prior design so I think the market agreed with me. The Seville was even worse because it didn't have any of the traditional Cadillac design cues.

I remember when those first came out..pretty bland. They looked like a larger N-body..same generic shape. The mid-80s was a bad time for GM..too many mediocre look-alike FWD generic cars.

The unfortunate part of this design was it was coming from what was at the time a stunning design in the bustleback Seville. Moving from such a radical design to what you see in the video was devastating. This change really underscores what is good and bad about GM in some ways. Sometimes they'll make really major design departures when they shouldn't and in other places (like Buick) they made very gradual and subtle changes when they should probably make more aggressive changes. My brother-in-law said to me recently that Buick hadn't changed anything in 20 years. Obviously an ignorant statement but it's the impression he has and it's an opinion presumably others share and certainly he shares his opinion with others. Of course he's also a Toyota guy so I ignore most of what he says anyway. (Comments > null)

Edited by ellives

My brother-in-law said to me recently that Buick hadn't changed anything in 20 years. Obviously an ignorant statement but it's the impression he has and it's and opinion presumably others share and certainly he shares his opinion with others. Of course he's also a Toyota guy so I ignore most of what he says anyway. (Comments > null)

And you still let him marry your sister? :smilewide:

• 2 weeks later...

What's too bad is that there were way to many other GM cars that had basically the same shape. Too bad because the Eldorado and Seville got that shape right. They were beautifully shaped and were really competetive size-wise to the Germans. But they drove like typical American cars so they were neither fish nor fowl.

Eldorado, the driving spirit of Cadillac!

Kudos! Eldorado personifies Cadillac very well. However, the low point for the model was the 1986 and 1987 model years. I owned a 1989 Eldorado Biarritz and it was a great car--a wonderful size, fabulous ride, adequate performance and economy, and it was trouble-free for many years of mostly urban driving. The car always got lots of compliments, too. In retrospect, I liked it better than my later generation Eldorados. Now I have a 2003 CTS with Sport package, and I await getting a 2008 CTS!

And you still let him marry your sister? :smilewide:

Well to be accurate, he's my sister-in-law's husband. They were already married before I came into the picture. :) Just more lemmings.

It's too bad some coachbuilder doesn't do a 'Retro-Eldorado,' of say a '70 Coupe or '71 Convertible--something similar to this Retro '62 Corvette Roadster:

http://www.crcoachworks.com/index.phtml

What a nice blend of the modern technology with distinctive style! The imports don't have such heritage to draw from! :AH-HA_wink:

It's too bad some coachbuilder doesn't do a 'Retro-Eldorado,' of say a '70 Coupe or '71 Convertible--something similar to this Retro '62 Corvette Roadster:

http://www.crcoachworks.com/index.phtml

What a nice blend of the modern technology with distinctive style! The imports don't have such heritage to draw from! :AH-HA_wink:

Nice stuff although I *have* to wonder who would by a C5 and then have it ripped apart to look like something from 40+ years ago.