Road and Track: ZO6 VS Viper

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?se...article_id=2781

"In terms of raw acceleration, the Z06 is world-class quick, though not quite a match for its cross-town Mopar rival, the Dodge Viper SRT-10. Our vBox test gear clocked a 4.2-second 0-60 run, nearly reaching this speed in 1st gear, where the Dodge sprints there in 4.0; likewise, the Z06 dispatches the quarter-mile in 12.3 sec. at 116.6 mph, while its V-10-powered adversary cranks out a 12.1 at 119.3. The Viper feels quicker too in a roll-on situation, its extra 1.3 liters of displacement practically punting you forward, versus the still-forceful but more linear surge of the Z06."

Yep....0-60 is all that matters in a race car, not comfort, handling, ease of use, or refinement. Go Dodge. :rolleyes:

The Viper feels quicker too in a roll-on situation, its extra 1.3 liters of displacement practically punting you forward, versus the still-forceful but more linear surge of the Z06.

Thanks for the backhanded compliment. Linear is good... not bad... Do the guys that write this stuff REALLY know anything about what people want? Or for that matter, do they know a good car when they see one?

Thanks for the backhanded compliment.  Linear is good... not bad... Do the guys that write this stuff REALLY know anything about what people want?  Or for that matter, do they know a good car when they see one?

[post="21369"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Or the fact that the Viper costs how much more? Guzzles how much more gas?

Thanks for the backhanded compliment.  Linear is good... not bad... Do the guys that write this stuff REALLY know anything about what people want?  Or for that matter, do they know a good car when they see one?

Gosh, settle down. Read the whole article. It is VERY complimentary about the new Z06.

Road and Track has historically been very favourable to imports, this reveiw and a recent comparison of the Cobalt SS Supercharged vs the Acura RSX show real progress on GM's part.

they are journalists... # are #... how do you measure handling? Nuremberg comes to mind...

but there really isnt a 70* turn @ 120 mph banked & 1.5 g's of force measuring tool... handling is only really appreciated by drivers... not the bean counters

Or the fact that the Viper costs how much more?  Guzzles how much more gas?

[post="21388"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

According to the factory web sites

Z06 starts at $65,800

Viper SRT10 starts at $85,745

$20,000 difference...........a lot of money. Granted the Viper does have a vert. top and the Z06 dosen't.........but $20,000. I think the Corvette has consistantly been a good value for the money for a sports car (no matter what package), and I think the GTO is following the same path.

Hey all, new to the site, been browsing a while until I read this and had to post... Car and Driver tested time: 3.7 seconds Motor Trend tested time: 3.5 seconds Road and Track: 4.2 seconds? What the hell happened, was this the guys first time driving a stick? That is not a good way to publicize the Z06. If you guys want me to post an image of Motor Trend's numbers on here, let me know... EDIT: I believe GM's tested time for the Z06 is 3.7 seconds as well, so the idea that Road and Track want to try belittle GM's Italian eating race horse isn't a farfetched one... Edited by mystik

Hey all, new to the site, been browsing a while until I read this and had to post...

Car and Driver tested time: 3.7 seconds

Motor Trend tested time: 3.5 seconds

Road and Track: 4.2 seconds?

What the hell happened, was this the guys first time driving a stick? That is not a good way to publicize the Z06. If you guys want me to post an image of Motor Trend's numbers on here, let me know...

EDIT: I believe GM's tested time for the Z06 is 3.7 seconds as well, so the idea that Road and Track want to try belittle GM's Italian eating race horse isn't a farfetched one...

[post="21449"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

the worst thing is they said they had to get it into 2nd to get to 60... had to shift at 58 mph... thats why its so slow... where as everyone else can get it in first gear to 60...

Has it occured to anyone that it takes Dodge 20 grand and two extra cylinders just to beat the 'Vette by point 2 seconds in one apparently flawed test... while still getting soundly beaten in the other tests?

[post="21451"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I would pocket the difference...err. take it and get the Solstice while I am at it. Drive the Solstice for the commute and go eat Ferarris for the weekend fun. :)

I dont care what anyone says the Viper is the ultimate American sports car. Who cares if it guzzles gas like an alcoholic in a brewery? If you have the money to buy it, you (should) have the money for the gas. Personally, I would buy the Viper because it's a beast, it has raw power and it doesnt care if it's civilized or not. So I'd go with the Viper (my baby) rather than the more common 'Vette. Another thing is that it's the 'Vette Z06 being compared to the Viper rather than a regular 'Vette because it has no chance against the Viper.

Another thing is that it's the 'Vette Z06 being compared to the Viper rather than a regular 'Vette because it has no chance against the Viper.

[post="21664"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Umm, so what? The Viper SRT-10 coupe costs $90k. For that price I can get TWO regular Vettes.

Or, I could buy a Z06 and kick the Viper's ass on track days and buy a GTO for everyday driving, and I'd only be spending $5k more than a Viper.

To each his own though. Both are badass cars, and both will smoke almost anything out there.

When we see Z06 vs. SRT-10 Coupe vs. Ford GT, we'll see who's the real champ.

The Z06's real strength lies not only in pounds-per-horsepower, but in performance-per-dollar — though you can bet that transaction prices will be higher, the Z06's MSRP of $65,800 (including destination charges) undercuts a Viper's by at least $16,000, and is less than half the GT's price of admission. With estimated city/highway mileage numbers of 19/28, this Vette even avoids the gas-guzzler tax. It's truly the Blue Collar supercar.

That's as scary as Eau Rouge...for the Z06's competition, that is.

I'm seeing a lot of C6 Vettes around these parts and not many seem to be piloted by snobby Yuppies. That's the way it should be. Hopefully most of the Z06 will go to average Joes, but mostly i hope they sell like hotcakes so I can buy one used and soon. :)

Viva La Vette!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Umm, so what? The Viper SRT-10 coupe costs $90k. For that price I can get TWO regular Vettes.

Or, I could buy a Z06 and kick the Viper's ass on track days and buy a GTO for everyday driving, and I'd only be spending $5k more than a Viper.

To each his own though. Both are badass cars, and both will smoke almost anything out there.

When we see Z06 vs. SRT-10 Coupe vs. Ford GT, we'll see who's the real champ.

[post="21675"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:lol: your right!!!,maybe we should wait to the motortrend test because i think thats the best magazine

The problem is that you can't just take the fastest individual time from different magazines. Did R&T test both cars together on the same track on the same day? If so, that is the test with the most accurate results. If not, then we'll just have to wait until someone does a side by side test. It is amazing just how large the difference in times of the ZO6 is. It almost seems like either some early ringers were released for certain magazines, or it has become more difficult to launch the Vette, as has always been a problem with the Viper.

These are Sports cars, thats all about braking distances, lateral G's and transitional handling [ignoring the fact that LS7 smokes the V10]. Any road race Ive ever watched has Vipers flying off the track into the tire walls left and right trying to keep up with Corvette. I believe those brakeing distances prove the point. The Viper was quite a car in mid-late 90's, C5 surpassed it, now GM has C6 and Viper is playing catch up. Competion is good, maybe Viper, Saleen, Ford, can do it again but they have a reach.

then lets not forget the Viper engine is 1.3 litres larger :o
Viper SRT-10
Price: $85,995
Miles Per Gallon: 12/20 mpg
Curb Weight: 3450 lbs
Layout: Front-Engine/RWD
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Engine
Type: V10
Displacement: 8277 cc
Horsepower: 500 bhp @ 5600 rpm
Torque: 525 lb-ft @ 4600 rpm
Redline: 6000 rpm

Z06
Price: $65,800
Miles Per Gallon: --/-- mpg
Curb Weight: 3132 lbs
Layout: Front-Engine/RWD
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Engine
Type: V8
Displacement: 7000 cc
Horsepower: 505 bhp @ 6300 rpm
Torque: 470 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm
Redline: 7000 rpm

My old friend that has a basic C5 got a test drive in a friends Viper and said it was totally different, he could tell it was purpose breed for the track, it had no manors under normal driving conditions. Another friend has rolled one, apparently they are completely unforgiving, they hold the road excellently but when they let go its all over no counter steering, no correcting, gone, thats what I have seen in ALMS races.

Keep tryin Chrysler, Ford, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Maserati, Ferrari, I sure like seeing you out there, makes for pretty colors. :-)

proper pecking order since 2001
Posted Image

Got GM ? Posted Image Posted Image