Followers 0
HarleyEarl

2007 Ford Edge Crossover

5 posts in this topic

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Featu...rticleId=107367

New Ford Edge Crossover Caught Testing
By: Ed Hellwig

Date Posted 09-26-2005

Ford will be adding a new midsize crossover to its lineup next year with the 2007 Ford Edge. As more of a dedicated crossover than the Ford Escape, the 2007 Edge will compete head-on with the likes of imports such as the Toyota Highlander and Nissan Murano.

There will be no Mercury equivalent to the Ford Edge, as the former company will instead receive a version of the Freestyle wagon, similar in appearance to the MetaOne concept vehicle.

The Ford Edge will be built on the company's CD3 platform, which currently forms the foundation of such midsize sedans as the Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, and the upcoming Lincoln Zephyr. The Edge will also share these underpinnings, as well as its build location at Oakville, Ontario, with the next-generation Lincoln Aviator, that also goes on sale in 2006.

Look closely at the photos and it's easy to see that the Edge will share its front-end styling with the Fusion sedan. It's also likely to share the Fusion's drivetrain, so expect both V6 and four-cylinder power plants. The Fusion currently uses a 3.0-liter V6, but rumors suggest that it will be upgraded to a 3.5-liter six-cylinder soon. The Edge could certainly use that kind of power as it will probably come in slightly heavier than its sedan counterpart. Construction will begin late in the fall of 2006, with the Edge going on sale before the end of the year, positioned in Ford's lineup between the Escape and the Explorer.

The thing that I think is really neat is the Edge's Twin sister, Mazda's version. I saw the spy pics for those, and they look really similar to the concept, which is a positive, because I thought the curve in the window line would be lost between the concept and the production form.

Mazda SpyShots

And, after seeing the actuall picture, or at least I think it's the actual picture, could have been a photoshop or something, but seeing the actuall picture on the TCC forums, I'm happy to see that the Ford look's nothing like the Mazda. Hopefully the Lincoln version look's different too.

I like the Mazda one better. Though I am getting annoyed with all this crossover stuff. I mean, one company makes one, and it does well, so then every company ends up having 4 different versions. Yeah it is cool because you can have two very different vehicles on essentially the same platform, but I just want a regular rwd car :( . David

Great news for Mercury. That means they actually get a unique product, and a good one. I loved the Meta One concept way more than the Freestyle... very cool.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0