GM interview about the Asian market

I want to drop kick that incompetent GM representative in the head:

"The Chinese consumer is very discerning... the Chinese SLS is a much more luxurious car... warm colors where North American is cold with greens and greys."

It's like GM thinks the U.S. market is a lost cause. It's only lost because of how GM handles it.

Hey GM, in case you haven't noticed your market share decline over the past few decades in your so called home market, the U.S. consumer is pretty damn discerning too. GM treats U.S. consumers like idiots. Unfortunately, most of the auto executives are stuck in Detroit's old, senile mentality and didn't grow up in the age of the Internet where the customer can research and have the freedom to choose the best.

These executives are the real lost cause. Oh, and the other lost cause are people like me, 25 year old U.S. consumers who were once a GM supporter but are quickly leaving that camp.

Edited by KillFort

:nono:

Out there, people WANT to own Buicks. Out here, people only want Buicks if they have, $5000 off, and that's just to start with.

Somethng is really wrong here. The North American customer is just as important as the Chinese customer, even if China is a rapidly growing market with a burgeoning middle class.

Well, at least they are getting it right the second time (in China). Maybe now they realize it was dumb to market the same damn platform for nearly 20 years.

The North American consumer is the cheapest and most inconsistant motherf@#ker on the planet. Sorry to be so blunt, but I have to be to get that point across. We think $2.60/gal for gasoline is going to personally bankrupt us. We think $30,000 is too much to pay for a Pontiac, a Mercury, a Buick, a Chrysler, an Oldsmobile no matter how much content or horsepower or features it has. We bitch about postage increasing to 41 cents and yet can't remember the last time we wrote a letter. We bitch about airlines increasing fares by $5.00 yet haven't been on a plane in years. And despite this, we gladly spend $4.69 for 12 ounces of a low-quality drink from Starbucks and thousands of dollars on high-definition TVs that we use to watch analog programming.

A part of me bitches like the rest of you and yet another realizes that the average American is too cheap (stupid?) compared to the Average Chinese consumer. They have money to burn; we act like we don't, yet we don't save it either.

It reminds me of recent Cadillac models that switched from real Zebrano wood to plastic 'woodtones.' Rags bitched. Blogs bitched. People here on C&G bitched. But before I bitched, I remembered the countless reviews and editorials commenting on the fake wood in the 2000 DeVille, 2002 Seville, 1999 Escalade, and so forth. It was real. Real as the day is long. But, again, people were too ignorant to realize it, so why even bother?

I don't like the rationale any more than any of you do, but I understand it. Our culture is too focused on 'the deal' to recognize something authentically worth the money.

The North American consumer is the cheapest and most inconsistant motherf@#ker on the planet. Sorry to be so blunt, but I have to be to get that point across. We think $2.60/gal for gasoline is going to personally bankrupt us. We think $30,000 is too much to pay for a Pontiac, a Mercury, a Buick, a Chrysler, an Oldsmobile no matter how much content or horsepower or features it has. We bitch about postage increasing to 41 cents and yet can't remember the last time we wrote a letter. We bitch about airlines increasing fares by $5.00 yet haven't been on a plane in years. And despite this, we gladly spend $4.69 for 12 ounces of a low-quality drink from Starbucks and thousands of dollars on high-definition TVs that we use to watch analog programming.

A part of me bitches like the rest of you and yet another realizes that the average American is too cheap (stupid?) compared to the Average Chinese consumer. They have money to burn; we act like we don't, yet we don't save it either.

It reminds me of recent Cadillac models that switched from real Zebrano wood to plastic 'woodtones.' Rags bitched. Blogs bitched. People here on C&G bitched. But before I bitched, I remembered the countless reviews and editorials commenting on the fake wood in the 2000 DeVille, 2002 Seville, 1999 Escalade, and so forth. It was real. Real as the day is long. But, again, people were too ignorant to realize it, so why even bother?

I don't like the rationale any more than any of you do, but I understand it. Our culture is too focused on 'the deal' to recognize something authentically worth the money.

:yes:

:nono:

Out there, people WANT to own Buicks. Out here, people only want Buicks if they have, $5000 off, and that's just to start with.

Somethng is really wrong here. The North American customer is just as important as the Chinese customer, even if China is a rapidly growing market with a burgeoning middle class.

Well, at least they are getting it right the second time (in China). Maybe now they realize it was dumb to market the same damn platform for nearly 20 years.

Well said Flybrian.

i work as an architect for a real estate / development machine. tonight wife and i took kid for haircut and shopping. then for some food. all these 'events' occur in crappy strip malls on barren parking lots. all the new developments are lifeless communityless strip malls that are a testament to our business culture today. it's all about 'the deal' and the front end work to generate the work to get the stuff built. after the job is obtained, the amount of attention that goes into making the end product decent or not is minimal. the decision makers don't really even care how it turns out as long as the 'deals' are made. The end result of all this haphazard building is we have ugly ass strip malls and pavement to look at where we really could stand to have something that promotes a bit more sense of community.

I suspect the car industry is a similar way. All the effort is expended on getting the programs in place to make new models. then, they are banged out without any regard to how it turns out. Then, we all jump in glee because we have 'new places to shop' or new cars to buy. truth is, its all half ass. with our buildings, we do nothing to create long term value or build a sense of community. with cars, we just want to hear about some new feature or gadget the other car has. We'll only be owning it for 2 or 3 years, but it has to be better than our buddy's car or neighbors car. We'll buy a Yukon, but we only need an Equinox. Then we'll bitch about the price. We'll buy an Acura TL, but really only need a v6 Ford Fusion. and then we'll bitch about how pricey the TL is.

Seems to me that this thread is really getting to the core of things. I've been seeing the shadowy outline of this all of my life and it gets a little clearer each year.

I may have quite a bit to say about it all before too long, I think the biggest rant of my life is just around the corner.

And, I think I've been waiting for this to happen.

It's about time that we all take a hard look at ourselves and really try to understand what we see.

And what we are.

And maybe, what we ought to be instead.

Good points...the thing about the stamp price had me laughing...I use at most 1-2 stamps a month since I pay most all my bills online.

Americans are a strange lot, things are going to get stranger in the next 10-20 years as the US continues it's decline from world power to also-ran..

Keep in mind that no matter what China does, it will win....by sheer numbers alone. The current size of their middle class is estimated to be 300 million people - the entire population of the United States. So even if their economy slows down, they will have passed the U.S. in size of their middle class.

You do realize that China only has to acheive 25% parity with the U.S. in GDP to beat the U.S. in actual size of economy - again, sheer force of population numbers.