Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
the_yellow_dart

Why did Mazda abandon their sporty heritage?

20 posts in this topic

Why were these models axed? Do you think they will ever return? Also... one oddity I noticed recently with Mazda... the 323 and MX-3 were the smaller ones, and the 626 and MX-6 were the more practical-sized ones. Makes sense. However, we now have a Mazda MX-5 (Miata) which definately does NOT line up with the Mazda 5 (van!).

I've been in an MX-3, and it wasn't a particularily sporty car. More like an econobox with an unusually large engine. Neat idea, though, cramming a V6 into a tiny little car like that. I'd like to see GM do it with the Cobalt and the 2.8L. HF V6. The MX-6 was really more of a "secretary's car". Not really sporty, but it looked the part and had passible horsepower. They've aged badly, as has its twin, the Ford Probe. For example, MX-6's and Probes that came of the showroom floor red have now faded to a light orange/pink colour. They also eat mufflers. I guess if Mazda wanted to make a new MX-3 and MX-6, they could always take two doors out of the Mazda3 and Mazda6 hatchbacks and give them sportier styling. Really, I'd rather see something like that than the high-performance MazdaSpeed models, which will be fun, but about as rare as hen's teeth.

After I bought Marcia her STS my daily driver became her old MX3 GS V6. That little 1.8 liter was slow off the line but at 100+ the car just wanted to take off. It was a very fun little car. I of course always found if flawed wiht it's FWD and 70/30 weight distribution but it was a great little car over all. It's kind of a CRX on steroids. If I had to buy a small FWD econobox I'd consider another one but it would HAVE to be a manual... the automatics feel slow as piss. The MX6 I was never as fond of, to this day it just makes me think "Feminine Probe". (as in Ford) :P

Meh... those cars weren't anything special, IMO. I think the absense of the RX-7 is more to worry about. I like the RX-8, but it has two unneeded doors, a serious lack of horsepower, and weird styling.

I agree with BV, except the RX-8 has pretty mucked-up styling and I don't like it at all. The last RX-7 was much cleaner and aspirational (haven't driven either, tho).

The MX3 GS (1.8L V6) was just as groundbreaking as the Fiero IMHO. But to each his own. NO one will remember this when they say I always bash FWD cars. :rolleyes:

The last MX-6 was a nice looking coupe, but it went away when it's shared platform went away (Probe). FWD Japanese sports coupes seem to not be as big of a market segment as they once were...the Celica is gone, the Prelude is gone, and only the Eclipse, RSX, and tC remain.. The MX-3 was an odd looking little runt that I forgot existed until I saw this thread. I think the Miata and RX-8 cover the sports car segment fairly well now, though a 2-seat RX-7 would be great to see again...

Sixty8, I have to disagree...

Posted Image

That's just for the 84... Which means it doens't include the later enhancements. So... are you telling me that it was that innovative? If so... I beg to differ, big time.

As for FWD... Yeah, we'll forget since you always say something like "it's fatally flawes since it's FWD". Then you bring up how you like this FWD car and that one... oh and how that one is sooo innovative. Well... those two statements contradict each other. So pick a side and keep quiet. :D

I'm guessing market potential for those certain products. I really don't think Mazda's lost it's sporting appeal.....as many people know that have driven them, the Mazda6 and Mazda3 are some of the best handling and most fun-to-drive cars in their respective segments. Plus, Mazda has been introducing its new MazdaSpeed models (Miata, Mazda6, and soon-to-come Mazda3.) Even the MPV was one of the sportier-to-drive minivans out there.... And the Mazda5 will be a fun-to-drive competitor to the PT and HHR. That's not to mention the RX-8.

As for FWD... Yeah, we'll forget since you always say something like "it's fatally flawes since it's FWD". Then you bring up how you like this FWD car and that one... oh and how that one is sooo innovative. Well... those two statements contradict each other. So pick a side and keep quiet. :D

[post="22528"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Umm, not really. Someone can believe that RWD is inherently better, but still like a well-executed FWD car.

Agreed Enzora...BV just sees things as black and white...one day (hopefully soon) he'll start being able to differentiate the shades of grey.

Sixty8, I have to disagree...

Posted Image

That's just for the 84... Which means it doens't include the later enhancements. So... are you telling me that it was that innovative? If so... I beg to differ, big time.

[post="22528"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Look Ma, it's got a tach! :P :P

Croc and Enzora... You're probably right. :unsure:

However, It just amazes me how one can act like FWD is the worst thing in the world, yet in the next post praise a certian FWD vehicle for whatever reason. Especially, when 9 times out of 10 it is something like "this car is tragically flawed as it is FWD". Wouldn't you think it would be the same way with whichever FWD vehicle? Right? I mean, unless you can say that it wouldn't be better off as RWD, I'd think so...

Bah.. whatever, it doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah, Sixty8's case can be pretty amusing at times. ^_^

The 626 of that time was also a platform mate of the MX-6 and Probe. I think all three were simply victims of the pre-"zoom zoom" Mazda (1998-2001), where they didn't want to build a 2-door car. The Japanese in general have killed off a segment they shined in (sports coupes) to concentrate all their energies toward SUVs and so-called crossovers....by and large, they're firmly convinced that all Americans want are family-friendly vehicles....maybe it's all the teen pregnancies, I don't know.... edited for a flub I made. Edited by LosAngeles

it's owned by ford..that should explain everything... :rolleyes: :lol: I can't begin to tell you how many Probes and Mx-6s are in junkyards around here..especially those last few model years...

The 626 of that time was also a platform mate of the 626

[post="24651"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:blink:

The 626 of that time was also a platform mate of the 626 and Probe.

[post="24651"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

:blink: :unsure:

Shouldn't this be in Ford Motor Company?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0