Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Thinking about changing the color of my car

19 posts in this topic

I needed to share something I am thinking about doing. It is on my list of things to do. My Toronado is a rare GM color called canyon yellow. They used it on a few Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Cadillacs in the 1990's. My Toronado is rare because it is the only canyon yellow one with the options I have. There is another canyon yellow one, but it has bucket seats and floor shifter and on and on. I will be honest, I am happy with the Toronado. I do not care for the color. I had to buy it because it was in good shape and they did not make many Toronado's in 1992 which was the last year. The options I wanted were rare too. I am seriously thinking about sending some business to that auto body shop that I was supposed to take the junkanado( That first Toronado) to get a paint job. I felt bad after it was totaled, because I know she was expecting that business. I want to let them repaint my Toronado and change the exterior color to Medium Sapphire Blue Glamour Metallic or Black Sapphire Blue Metallic. My Ninety Eight would also go to the auto body shop for some touch up work. My former neighbor who used to live next to me who dated convicts and convicted felons scratched up the right side of my Ninety Eight with her car door. After the paint work is done, I would have a pair of matching Oldsmobiles. My Ninety Eight is already the shade of blue I mentioned.

What are your thoughts?

I would repaint it the original color. In my mind it would make it more valuble having the paint match the paint code on the car. To me a car loses value when things don't match up to the original build sheet.

The colors I wrote in the statement are colors from the same year 1992 that were GM colors for the Toronado. Thank you for posting too.

With this car, collectibility really isn't a concern so paint it if you want.

However, what will affect its value is the quality of the paint job. In order to change colors and do it properly, a great deal of disassembly is required and ALL visible areas have to be prepped and painted in the new color. It isn't a cost-effective thing to do generally but if you intend to simply make the car a bit more to your liking and the expense doesn't bother you, go for it!

Okay Ninety-Eight Regency, you need to post pictures of your rare Toronado right now. I'm unfamiliar with the color you have and haven't seen it on any GM car - as a plus, I would just like to see your Toronado anyway. Plus put pics of the 98 on here too - I want to see your small Olds fleet. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Thank you for the continued responses. I will address every question.

1. I have a digital camera and have no clue how to use it. I tried several years ago and did not understand. I put it back in the box. It is a Fuji that has 3.2 effective pixels a monitor, a movie thing, and USB port. It also does internet conferencing.

I have no earthly idea how to use it. Most of the instructions were in Japanese. I love technology and I always tried to stay on top of things, but I do not fully know how to use my own cell phone or house phone. It has features I discover every time I use it. It read the book. It does things I have no clue how to use. My cell phone is out of date too. I do not even own a cell phone with a camera. Do they charge you when you take pictures? I used to be able to load pictures on websites, but I forgot how to do that too. I look with amazement at the things I see people do online like the guys here who photoshop and more.

I used to be able to do things like I see on the front pages of websites putting in titles etc. That is why there is no banner on my screen name here anymore. I accidentally deleted the one the Australian guy made for me, but I have no idea how to:

1. Make one

2. Post on

3. Do a new one.

That is why I never posted photos of my cars. I have wanted to since I have been back to this site.

2. The people who would do the work are professional. They do all the paint jobs for all the vehicles at the university and I have seen the durability of the work. I also saw them restore a wrecked LaCrosse too.

3. When they paint, the paint doors, underneath and inside the trunk, hood and all. They have been at the same location and in business for close to 30 years.

4. They charge more if you go lighter, and less if you go darker.

Here is a link to the body shop:

http://downtownbodyshop.net/dtbs/index.html

Here is a 1989 Cadillac Deville that is the same color as my car:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is one of the colors I want to switch it to:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

I needed to share something I am thinking about doing. It is on my list of things to do. My Toronado is a rare GM color called canyon yellow. They used it on a few Oldsmobiles, Buicks and Cadillacs in the 1990's. My Toronado is rare because it is the only canyon yellow one with the options I have. There is another canyon yellow one, but it has bucket seats and floor shifter and on and on. I will be honest, I am happy with the Toronado. I do not care for the color.

What are your thoughts?

Landis, if you have this "Canyon Yellow," I am assuming you have a taupe/beige/tan interior, correct? I like that vintage Toronado and I think it looked bitchen' in a color called "Light Driftwood Metallic," or something to that effect. Dark colors may look good on the more limousine like Ninety-Eight; however, lighter colors are more flattering on the Toro's svelter lines. Your pick, though I see no need to match the set. Besides, in a sweltering Houston summer, the lighter colors (both inside and outside the vehicle) better reflect the heat. Good luck, I'm sure it's a sweet sled!

Landis, if you have this "Canyon Yellow," I am assuming you have a taupe/beige/tan interior, correct? I like that vintage Toronado and I think it looked bitchen' in a color called "Light Driftwood Metallic," or something to that effect. Dark colors may look good on the more limousine like Ninety-Eight; however, lighter colors are more flattering on the Toro's svelter lines. Your pick, though I see no need to match the set. Besides, in a sweltering Houston summer, the lighter colors (both inside and outside the vehicle) better reflect the heat. Good luck, I'm sure it's a sweet sled!

The interior is black or what they called graphite. When you see it it looks black.

You are referring to this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

He them changed the controls in his Toronado to this:

Posted Image

Another guy switched his Toronado over to 1994-1999 Oldsmobile parts:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Steering wheel:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wanted to do that too, but the steering wheel controls are not compatible. He said the horn works but not the steering wheel controls.

Part II

I have a story about that car in the pictures:

The guy who bought it is a member on Oldsmobile Forums where I am an admin. This is his story:

Just signed on to the forum, I am the new owner of the light driftwood metallic 1992 toronado for sale on the autotrader.com from a kutztown, pa. chevrolet dealer, mente chevrolet. Split bench seat, digital dash, column shift... my brother has owned 2 trofeos and mom had a 1989 trofeo, now has 220,000 miles on it, my brother knows alot about the toronados/trofeos, tells me you could only get the digital dash option on the column shift models, ofcourse the trofeo came with standard bucket seats, center console shifter, and fog lights, something to do with the headlamp cluster having foglamps incorporated was reason trofeo never got digital dash option. I have seen a 1992 toronado that had bucket seats as an option, with analog dash, not digital. So no trofeos came with column shift, and some toronados came with bucket seats. Making the column shift, split bench the least produced of these cars, no where to put your drink!

This was my response to his story:

Hello and Welcome to the Forums! I wanted you to know I was saving up for that car you have and I wanted the one you have. I remember when it went on sale in Januuary 2006. It was sold in June. I called on it in January and he wanted 6,995 for it. The price went down slightly. I was waiting for them to go down on the price and I was saving money while I was waiting. When it was sold in June I was disappointed. It had every option I wanted. I watched that car on Autotrader every week.

I then came across the one I bought in Georgia on Autotrader. I had it shipped to Texas to me. It too has a bench seat. I am having to do a little work on it before I start driving it. It runs, it just needs some things before I hit the road with it. I do not have the wire wheels, but I have alloy wheels and not the wire wheels like you do. Also, someone switched out the digital gauges for analog gauges. I have to put the digital gauges back in too. I already have the digital cluster. I also have to switch a few other things back to factory too. I also have to fix the leather on the drivers seat.

I only have 5,000 miles than yours. It had 88,000 on the lot when you bought it. I also plan on changing the color in the future. I hate the color of mine.

There are no cupholders either. What happened was The regular Toronados came standard with bucket seats and floorshifters like Trofeos. The bench seat models like we have were an option package called option package ISB. The digital gauges were standard before 1990 on all models. I have no idea why Oldsmobile took them out of the other Toronados. I do know the ones with the analog gauges have a high failure rate for the gauges and I see them on Ebay all the time and also online at many other places.

Your brother is right to some degree on the whole headlamp panel and digital cluster thing. I noticed that when that light sensor goes out in the dash, it does impact the whole cluster. I am having to get my light senor replaced on mine because my cars says "electrical problem" and I spoke to a techinican and he stated that it does impact the whole interior to some degree.

I learned that the interior lights do not come on during the day. They only come on when the car senses darkness.

Ninety-Eight... I would most certainly keep the factory color on your Toronado. It is a rare color, which only adds to its collectability. Who's to say what this car will be worth in, say, 10 years? All original will inevitably make it more interesting to potential buyers. Please reconsider.

Wow.. what a beautiful car those Toronado's are! I still remember the blue '91 Trofeo that my friend's neighbor owned. Too bad GM abandoned them when the Riviera was redesigned for '95. I wish we could see what the designers had in mind though (and please don't say a 2-door version of the Aurora).

98, I gotta say I'm torn here with my advice. Part of me says that you have to do what makes you happy. It's your car and if you're not happy with the color, as rare as it is, you got to do what makes you happy. On the other hand, you already own a blue Olds (my vote would be for the blue btw), and personally with my three cars I made sure they're not all the same color, so keep your factory rare color.

But it comes down to the fact that IMO, canyon yellow is not a great color, especially for such a great looking car. I say go with the color change if it will make owning the car that much better for you.

:wub: I am SO in love with that beige Toronado with the whitewalls/wire wheels.

I hope you will reconsider painting your Toronado. The Canyon Yellow color is unique. The resulting "black and blue" combination is not my cup of tea, but in the end it is your car and your money... do what makes you happy. Have you gotten any comments about the color positive or negative?

Let me thank you all for your responses. I hope they continue. To answer your questions:

My mother said I knew you said you got a second car, but I did not think it was "that color".

Most people said you got another car?

My friend at work calls it "butter cream" all the time.

Most have said I have never seen a car "that" color.

What color is that is the question I hear a lot. I tell them canyon yellow. Canyon what?

Most people say that car is sporty. It looks sporty compared to your Ninety Eight.

It has been mixed....

I know touching up the paint would be cheaper than painting the whole car. They had Toronados with blue exteriors and black interiors. I know it would work better with black sapphire blue exterior and my interior.

They used this color on Toronado, Silhouette, and Cutlass Ciera and Cadillacs as you see and a few Buicks.

I know in the 1970's and 1980's they used to have very yellow Toronados and they had black interiors.

I also do not like all the attention the cars draws either. My Ninety Eight does not get a second look. I like it that way.

Im in the same boat as you...i really want to paintt the electra red but white shows less body imperfections...

I'd vote for keeping the color. If you absolutely cannot stand it, I'd say paint it beige or gold then you could probably get away with not repainting those areas that are not readily visible but will still be seen, such as the inside door frames.

You are referring to this:

Posted Image

Yes. That color. The picture doesn't do it justice, it's actually got a nice depth to it. You will have to wax it a lot to keep it true to form in your part of the country as opposed to a more enamel-looking color (white, cream, etc.).

As for the white walls and wire wheels on that pic, I say OUCH. The Toro is meant to run with those alloy turbine types like in the last dark metallic blue one you posted. I think those are consistent with the Toro personality and intent.

The wire wheels were only an option for 1992. Those are factory on that car. That car is like what a Toronado Brougham was in 1985. The last time the wire wheels were offered before that was like 1987-1988. My Toronado has the turbine wheels, but I am switching over to white wall Michelin's. I cannot stand black wall tires. It looks like something is missing from the wheels.

My Toronado has the turbine wheels, but I am switching over to white wall Michelin's. I cannot stand black wall tires. It looks like something is missing from the wheels.

On this, I am with you. My Regal has the alloys and I wanted the whitewalls. They didn't look bad together, actually. I think I had 3 sets of whitewalls of which the middle set was the THIN whitewall. The combination of thin whitewall and alloys was a winner, in my mind.

About 6 months ago I went to Costco to get my latest tires. White walls are being dropped like flies in a lot of sizes (I have a 15" wheel). I have the blackwalls. Eh. At 234,000 miles, what do I care?

Seriously, I am glad you have the turbines. That's important for the Toro. And I have seen them with whitewalls. The combination is totally plausible.

What would have been nice if GM had continued to use the turbine wheels on the Ninety Eight after Toronado died. That would have been great. The 1994-1996 Ninety Eight would have looked great with them.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0