GM to Unveil 2 New Concept Cars in China

GM to Unveil 2 New Concept Cars in China

Associated Press 04.02.07, 6:14 AM ET

General Motors Corp. will unveil a new pair of concept cars in its Chevrolet and Buick lines at this month's Shanghai Auto Show, GM China said Monday.

The cars will be among 40 vehicles the company and its Chinese joint venture partners plan to display as GM increasingly looks to China to offset sluggish sales and crippling legacy costs elsewhere.

GM said the concept cars include the latest version of the Chevrolet Volt, the company's extended-range electric passenger vehicle which was introduced in January at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

It said the Buick model was developed at GM's design and engineering center in Shanghai and would point to "possible future directions for the brand worldwide."

GM opened its first factory in China in 1998 and now operates seven joint ventures and two wholly owned foreign enterprises in the country. Along with five vehicle factories and one engine plant, the company has also launched an auto financing venture and a chain of dealerships.

Its China sales last year rose 32 percent to 876,747 vehicles, with joint venture Shanghai General Motors Corp. (nyse: GM - news - people ) becoming China's top-selling domestic automaker with 365,400 vehicles sold.

GM said it also plans to display minivans and compact cars produced by its SAIC (nyse: SAI - news - people )-GM-Wuling joint venture set up in 2005. Wuling's vehicles have become a mainstay of the company's China business, accounting for more than half of GM's total sales in China last year.

GM said models from the company's German Opel brand, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and Saab will also be featured at the show, which runs April 22-28.

You can also expect the new Buick Park Avenue to make its first appearance. So far only a preview video with a brief silhouette of the WM Statesman derivative is available.

You can bet every last cent that if the Zeta Buick is named Park Avenue in the US, I'll own one. :thumbsup:

I love the name and think it's still an excellent flagship for Buick. It's not retro. It didn't suffer through the worst of 1970's-1980's cost cutting. It has always been a premium/luxury Buick sedan. Bring it Back! 8)

You can also expect the new Buick Park Avenue to make its first appearance. So far only a preview video with a brief silhouette of the WM Statesman derivative is available.

Wow you just made a lot of Buick fan's day with that post. Myself included.

it's interesting an car name name with such heritage is used on what appears to be the Chinese WM. Maybe when a redesign of the WM appears early next decade the Park Avenue can replace the Lucerne...

Or maybe GM has found out that the Chinese like the Park Avenue name and this has nothing to do with any Zeta Buick for NA :P

EDIT: could this be the mystery car spotted in Australia? The one that had the WM's rear with a different front end?

Edited by ZL-1

it's interesting an car name name with such heritage is used on what appears to be the Chinese WM. Maybe when a redesign of the WM appears early next decade the Park Avenue can replace the Lucerne...

Or maybe GM has found out that the Chinese like the Park Avenue name and this has nothing to do with any Zeta Buick for NA :P

EDIT: could this be the mystery car spotted in Australia? The one that had the WM's rear with a different front end?

The mystery car was a VE (swb) sedan with a body similar to the lwb WM.

The Park Avenue in question is this previously shown one.

Posted Image

Some Specs:

http://auto.163.com/07/0325/19/3AF3DM6500081S8M.html

First table is the 2.8L version, the second is the 3.6L version (i.e. both of them will have the HFV6).

Values down the column are:

Model, Vehicle code, Manufacturing Company, Brand, Length, Width, Height, Wheelbase, Front Axe Width, Rear Axe Width, Tire Size (Standard, Optional), Curb Weight, Engine Code, Emissions/Power, Engine Manufacturer.

Engine of the PA is apparently supplied by Holden.

I think the changes of the statesman to the park avenue will be about as drastic as the commadore to the G8.

And thats the root of my dissapointment with these new Holden clones. They don't look like Buicks and Pontiacs. More like Asian toasters with Pontiac/Buick grilles slapped on. Talk about saving money.

So this is going to be another great car that is only sold in China? First the SLS and now the Park Avenue. Either I need to move to China or figure a way to get these imported. I will not understand why GM has these dynamically excellent automobiles and wont sell them here. Granted there are some styling tweeks that must be made to sell in North America but still that shouldnt be a challange for a company with so many engineering resources.

And thats the root of my dissapointment with these new Holden clones. They don't look like Buicks and Pontiacs. More like Asian toasters with Pontiac/Buick grilles slapped on. Talk about saving money.

But once again..what makes a Buick a Buick and a Pontiac a Pontiac? Plastic cladding? Boringly curvy shapes? Being ugly? FWD on old platforms or rebadges of Chevies? All they have going for them is the grills...

Edited by Dodgefan

So this is going to be another great car that is only sold in China? ...

The Holden Stateman reengineered as a Chinese Buick Avenue is not a great car just because it is not manufactured in North America.

Either I need to move to China or figure a way to get these imported.

No, you don't need to move to China. You probably wouldn't like it there anyway. Neither do you need to import the Park Avenue. Your local Buick dealer already has some wonderful models with more on the way.

I will not understand why GM has these dynamically excellent automobiles and wont sell them here. Granted there are some styling tweeks that must be made to sell in North America but still that shouldnt be a challange for a company with so many engineering resources.

Your local Buick dealer has the LaCrosse and Lucerne. These cars are among the most reliable on the road; they get great fuel mileage; and they are great to drive and ride. Buick in North America is on a roll with a product plan to develop some really wonderful cars that are distinctively North American Buick. Buick in China is taking similar care in giving its Buick design language a distinctive Chinese accent. There is no need for Buick to mix Chinese-market models with North American-market models in the same showroom. The discordant mixture of design themes would be counterproductive to the good work that Buick has done lately.

But once again..what makes a Buick a Buick and a Pontiac a Pontiac? Plastic cladding? ....

What is your fixation with the past? The Pontiac Grand Am abandoned cladding in the early 21st Century. The Grand Prix abandoned it in 2003 with the 2004 model year. The G6 never had cladding. No current Buick passenger car has cladding. Doesn't it get tiring to constantly try to push the "cladding" rope?

But once again..what makes a Buick a Buick and a Pontiac a Pontiac? Plastic cladding? Boringly curvy shapes? Being ugly? FWD on old platforms or rebadges of Chevies? All they have going for them is the grills...

Sounds to me you're in the wrong forum if you don't even have a clue to what makes each of these brands what they are. I'd recommend some research, but I doubt you're interested enough in finding out, let alone purchasing one of them.

Must...resist...temptation...to walk...through open door...

The Holden Stateman reengineered as a Chinese Buick Avenue is not a great car just because it is not manufactured in North America.

So...everything manufactured outside of NA is rubbish?? I know you yanks are patriotic but this takes the cake.

No, you don't need to move to China. You probably wouldn't like it there anyway. Neither do you need to import the Park Avenue. Your local Buick dealer already has some wonderful models with more on the way.

Yeah right, beacuse Buick is doing so well.

Edited by TKR

That could be taken two ways TKR. There is a common perception that the VE is "a great car just because it is not manufactured in North America"; particularly amongst media in Australia and the even America.

The second concept, unnamed concept is the Buick Riviera, as revealed b Shanghai GM in their own release two days later (the 4th). Although the PA has been unveiled no more details, or photos of either Buick, have been released. What limited photos of the PA there are from Shanghai GM appear to show a vehicle identical to the Statesman—no changes at all. Larger, clearer photos may show something different.

That could be taken two ways TKR. There is a common perception that the VE is "a great car just because it is not manufactured in North America"; particularly amongst media in Australia and the even America.

The second concept, unnamed concept is the Buick Riviera, as revealed b Shanghai GM in their own release two days later (the 4th). Although the PA has been unveiled no more details, or photos of either Buick, have been released. What limited photos of the PA there are from Shanghai GM appear to show a vehicle identical to the Statesman—no changes at all. Larger, clearer photos may show something different.

So there is a Riviera coming or no? You are getting some of us REALLY excited!!!

There is a Buick Riviera concept coming. I still can't find the photos of the PA posted by Flybrian, and no release other than the US release for the PA. :-P

I am trying to figure out where those photos came from... Hmmm I have been turning the wieck, Buick China and GM China's sites upside down... I WANT THE PHOTOS BIGGER. I have a PM into him hopefully he will spill. :AH-HA_wink: I can't wait, this I am sure is the car the Buick dealers were offered but didn't want, I think they might regret it but Rick said they were still open to talking and nothing was a done deal. The Lexus GS just got :pokeowned: Would love to see that a Buick Park Avenue 3.6L RWD beat a Lexus GS 350 or 300 what-ever it is now! :thumbsup: I even Car and Driver would like the interior on this "crude" GM beater... Those... :censored::rolleyes:

Where did you get those photos? That is to both fly and monaro... I am dying to know, and is that as big as they come? Where are the 3000X2000 GM one's at.

GM China apologises for the delay, but says they should be on wieck later today. There are at least 42, although not all of them may be posted, and there will, eventually, be wallpapers at buick.com.cn (at the moment just earlier Electras and PAs).

GM China apologises for the delay, but says they should be on wieck later today. There are at least 42, although not all of them may be posted, and there will, eventually, be wallpapers at buick.com.cn (at the moment just earlier Electras and PAs).

Any word on the date for a Rivera release?

Thank you for the reply was that in the press release? How did you know that? You folks are amazing. :AH-HA_wink: