Anyone buying Test Drive Unlimited?

I really want this. I know this is a bad time for me to buy it, since I'm marching right into my exams. :P

But it's too hard to resist, some the cars:

Camaro Z28, Firebird, Saturn Sky, the Goat, and later probably the CTS-V, Cobalt SS and even the Solstice.

I can already imagine myself cruising with the top down in a Sky.

I watched my cousin play this on his Xbox 360, and I thought it looked pretty good. But the only format I can buy it in is for the PS2, which is reduced content from the 360 version. If it comes down in price another $10, I might consider it.

i own it for PC.

The concept is sweet but my computer is too outdated its very demanding i get about 8 FPS on my rig plus my wheel is too old for it Although i did replace there patented bungee cord inside the wheel.

I have a Sky and Z06 so far. cruising mountain roads is very fun though. plus racing others online is fun.

Graphics pretty good

Game play a little acradeish but keeps drawing you back.

i like it so far I just need a better processor

my rig P4 2.6

1 gig ram 460 gig hd

256 graphics.

some reason im stuck with the crap computer while the good one is somewhere else.

Smoothly. I just got a new computer last work term. :D

Although there are some wierd problems at times, but quitting the game and restarting it solves it.

My specs:

AMD X2 3800+

1GB DDR2-667

80GB SATA2 Hard Drive

BFG nVidia 7900GS /w 256MB

Sonovabitch! That's almost exactly the same as the computer I just built! (there seems to be a pattern of popularity among the specs I've ever seen listed)

...Except I put in 2x160GB SATA2 drives and have them running in RAID0. :D

...And my vid card arrived defective so I'm using onboard video until the replacement arrives. :duh:

Smoothly. I just got a new computer last work term. :D

Although there are some wierd problems at times, but quitting the game and restarting it solves it.

My specs:

AMD X2 3800+

1GB DDR2-667

80GB SATA2 Hard Drive

BFG nVidia 7900GS /w 256MB

So are you running the game at max settings? There seems to be a lot of aliasing...and where's the reflections? I'd say GT4 is still graphically superior.

Edited by Dodgefan

Sonovabitch! That's almost exactly the same as the computer I just built! (there seems to be a pattern of popularity among the specs I've ever seen listed)

...Except I put in 2x160GB SATA2 drives and have them running in RAID0. :D

...And my vid card arrived defective so I'm using onboard video until the replacement arrives. :duh:

Eh... no. Mine doesn't even have onboard video. nForce 570 Ultra baby! :AH-HA_wink:

And I actually have two old hard drives running as well, on an IDE card. Storage actually matches you at 320GB :P

So are you running the game at max settings? There seems to be a lot of aliasing...and where's the reflections? I'd say GT4 pwns this graphically.

Not really, my friend, who's a big fan of GT4, says that GT4 is actually no match for this. It looks better on the screen. And apparently there's a bug with nVidia's driver, so if I turn on AA it will cause problems.

Not really, my friend, who's a big fan of GT4, says that GT4 is actually no match for this. It looks better on the screen. And apparently there's a bug with nVidia's driver, so if I turn on AA it will cause problems.

Did you try downloading the new drivers? Also, has your friend ever played GT4 with progressive scan on and the resolution up (requires HDTV)?

GT4 doesnt have free roam.

Graphics wise TDU wins

Physics?

GT4 owns.

As for gameplay?

TDU wins because of online interaction.

They kind of stalemate each other.

Eh... no. Mine doesn't even have onboard video. nForce 570 Ultra baby! :AH-HA_wink:

And I actually have two old hard drives running as well, on an IDE card. Storage actually matches you at 320GB :P

For the motherboard, I went with the lowest bidder for my needs.

ASRock AliveNF6G-DVI -- NForce 430 chipset w/ GeForce 6100 onboard.

I wasn't planning to use the onboard video, but I'm glad I at least have that option, or I'd be relegated to using my old PC for games.

And you really, really have to try out RAID 0 some time. The biggest performance bottleneck in your system is pretty much the HDD. Striping two drives together cuts load times by a reasonable percentage.

Edited by aaaantoine

\Fair enough :P Still, the graphics don't impress me much...are the mechanics any better than the old Test Drive games?

Much better. I played like TD4 and quickly switched to NFS. Now NFS has the ricer crap, so I'm switching back.

The point of TDU this time, is the new MOOR system. I tried it and it works. You really see like hundreds of other racers cruising around the whole city, and you can flash lights at them and start a dogfight. And the physics of the cars are fairly realistic too, of course not to the point where you have to change your oil in GT4.

Capriceman pretty much sums up nicely. GT4 and TDU by far are different beasts, as TDU took off in a different path.

Graphics wise TDU wins

I don't know what graphics you're looking at... But from the sceenshots I've seen of TDU, there's no comparison. GT4's are much better and much more realistic.

Much better. I played like TD4 and quickly switched to NFS. Now NFS has the ricer crap, so I'm switching back.

The point of TDU this time, is the new MOOR system. I tried it and it works. You really see like hundreds of other racers cruising around the whole city, and you can flash lights at them and start a dogfight. And the physics of the cars are fairly realistic too, of course not to the point where you have to change your oil in GT4.

Capriceman pretty much sums up nicely. GT4 and TDU by far are different beasts, as TDU took off in a different path.

True. TDU sounds like the Tokyo Extreme Racer series except that it's not based in Tokyo and probably can't rice your car. :P

I don't know what graphics you're looking at... But from the sceenshots I've seen of TDU, there's no comparison. GT4's are much better and much more realistic.

And one thing, TDU has interiors. GT4 doesn't. You can even crank down your windows or adjust your driving seat position.

And one thing, TDU has interiors. GT4 doesn't. You can even crank down your windows or adjust your driving seat position.

Actually, it does, you can see them best in the convertibles. The car models are much better in GT4 and the reflextions are much more realistic...TDU's shadow mapping is pathetic.

As for gameplay...GT4 sets the standard for being as close to real as you can get...while Burnout is far more fun than either 2 titles.

Actually, it does, you can see them best in the convertibles. The car models are much better in GT4 and the reflextions are much more realistic...TDU's shadow mapping is pathetic.

As for gameplay...GT4 sets the standard for being as close to real as you can get...while Burnout is far more fun than either 2 titles.

No no, interiors that you actually sit in, not convertible interiors peeking into. As far as I know the last one to do real interiors is Porsche Unleashed.

actually Live For Speed has the best Physics ever in a racing game hands down. Serious download there demo it has 3 cars and a track or 2. with interiors that you can put 1 guy and 4 females in it and the car handles totally different.

www.liveforspeed.com its fun on the demo severs to drift with the RWD turboed car.

Edited by capriceman

Well yeah... GT4 has interiors in every vehicle, even ones you can hardly see into, but you are correct in that you can't sit in them. But... Oh wow... you can adjust your seat position! Oh wow! How useful! :rolleyes::P:D

Well yeah... GT4 has interiors in every vehicle, even ones you can hardly see into, but you are correct in that you can't sit in them. But... Oh wow... you can adjust your seat position! Oh wow! How useful! :rolleyes::P:D

It's useful, because it actually affects the view when you're in the cockpit mode. I actually had to readjust the seat when I was in the Koenigsegg and the Z06.

Live for speed owns all

Live for Speed

Real Damage

Photo realistic graphics

extreme to the life physics. Better than GT4 ever wanted to be.

Adjustable suspension

Tire smoke and blow outs

thread marks

interiors

rally racing

FWD drifting fun

you be the judge I encourage you to try the demo. I'm going to buy the S2 license soon so i don't have to find the crack every time a new version comes out. plus i want to race online with almost a 1000 users online all the time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

WMJ the rally tracks you need to set up your just right there prefab setting sucks. Also Its a very hard game with the key board because the physics are too real to go full steer to straight.