Subaru B9

RJB

When looking at this refresh, I think that Subaru ended up using the tooling and design for the changes originally put forth by Saab for their stillborn version of this car, especially the headlights and rear 3/4 window.

Hmm, good snooping. I think you may be right.

Is the 3.6 liter borrowed from GM ? Or an in house design ? The design looks pretty bland IMO. Really doesn't stand out from other CUV in any meaningful way. But at least it looks decent unlike the Tribeca.

it's a subi engine.... I'm sure it's a flat 6

I thought Subaru was trying to establish a "corporate face", but the redesigned Impreza and Tribeca share no cues. This Tribeca revision is far better than the weird snout on the '07, but it has now lost it's identity...just like the Impreza. A disappointment.

Idiots. :banghead:

The Tribeca was a truly unique looker, but they folded and went all mainstream vanilla like everybody else. I've lost a lot of respect for Subaru, just when I had fallen for the Legacy GT sedan. I've loved the Tribeca since it came out, and now it's one of the herd. Good luck finding yours in the Kindercare parking lot... :nono:

The Tribeca was a truly unique looker, but they folded and went all mainstream vanilla like everybody else. I've lost a lot of respect for Subaru, just when I had fallen for the Legacy GT sedan. I've loved the Tribeca since it came out, and now it's one of the herd. Good luck finding yours in the Kindercare parking lot... :nono:

+0.5

I really didn't like the old design, but I definitely lost some respect for them becuase they blanded it up so much.

Would these changes been in the pipeline before GM sold their shares?

That's fine to say, and a valid point, but when you are begging people to buy them, there's only so much to the "being different because" idea.

At first look, I actually REALLY like the new look, as it keeps the same overall smooth and sculpted aura to it and pleasant size, plus the cool interior and Subie refinement, but now doesn't have the gangly design details like the clumsy--if unique--nose and hideous wheels.

I just find it very attractive now, in a mainstream way, and the engine updates--the other thing it REALLY needed for both power and economy issues--plus other refinements are all a nice refresher. Not to say they won't loose a few sales for people who liked the uniqueness before, but you can't bank on 3 people...and now it will hopefully attract a lot more and be advertised too.

When looking at this refresh, I think that Subaru ended up using the tooling and design for the changes originally put forth by Saab for their stillborn version of this car, especially the headlights and rear 3/4 window.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You hit the nail on the head.

This redesign is just the planned Saab model, minus the grille and some details in the lower bumper. Look at that Saabish windowline. Even the Saab wheels! :huh:

Good eye! :thumbsup:

it gets a solid "eh" from me. It's no longer unique.... not even in a bad way. Now I could mistake it for being a crossover from any asian company

More and more vehicles are starting to look like Asian clones of each other. Interiors are all black, gray or tan, character lines, fender flares and bodyside moldings and chrome accents are few and far between and the only way to tell what the hell your looking at is the grille or badge and even that doesn't always work. The American car has all but dissappeared with the relentless drive to globilize everything and produce Toyota sales numbers by copying there bland boring styling. It's a shame that with all the wonderful advancements being made in vehicle powertrains/transmisions, suspension technology etc that todays society has almost totaly lost the art of style and color!

Edited by ponchoman49

Chrysler grill - Check

Saab/Hyundai taillights - Check

Saab Wheels - Check

Overall bland front-end styling - Check

Slightly less aggressive Camry headlights - Check

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Camry headlighs look nothing like these headlights...remember most headlights have the same overall shape..rectangular.

And one heck of a lot larger w/ a better powertrain and interior.

Although I am an avid domestic fan and really dislike the ricers for the most part, I must say that I really like Scooby, I have owned two now in my short driving career, and will most likely get another. THey aren't too expensive, they all have AWD, which in Indiana is nice, AND I can get them with manual trannys. I always wanted an SUV, but then I realized that a wagon was nicer for me because it handles like a car and the fact I can get it with a stick rocks as I HATE autos. Subaru owners are perty loyal, but their product does need A LOT of help and design direction. All the models need some serious updating as their little MCE's are still getting long in the tooth. The Impreza hasn't been overhauled in years. I hate to say this since Toy is like the Evil Empire, but I wish they would take their minority stake in Scooby and infuse some of their capital into Subaru R&D

It's a much more cohesive design, IMO, but it has lost it's uniqueness along with most of its ugliness. It's bland now but I think sales will shoot up with some good advertising. At least Subaru changed what was wrong rather quickly instead of leaving it rot on dealer lots for years.

It's a much more cohesive design, IMO, but it has lost it's uniqueness along with most of its ugliness. It's bland now but I think sales will shoot up with some good advertising. At least Subaru changed what was wrong rather quickly instead of leaving it rot on dealer lots for years.

Yeah.

Whether you like the direction they went with it or not, the original "unique" one wasn't selling.

this does nothing for me still but the domestics could take a lesson here....subie made big efforts to correct original flaws, in about 2 years onto market. our manuf's trip over themselves and it still takes them 4 years to screw up again on the MCE.

sorry to say, but our carmakers had better get used to being able to make on fly changes in 2 years or less if their new models stumble out of the gate. we shouldn't have to wait 3-4 years to get horsepower in the 500/taurus or still have ot wait to get decent plastic in an equinox, even after a freshening.

Edited by regfootball

• 2 months later...

I initially got a Chrysler vibe from the new nose, but I had enver realized that Saab's version was technically so far along. The resemblance is quite striking.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks better, but a lot less distinctive. I was never a fan of the old version's face. It should appeal to a wider audience now that it has been updated cosmetically and upgraded in the powertrain department.

I have seen some of the comparison photos in the other posts on this subject. It's amazing!: Subaru does Chrysler design better than Chrysler. I also think the rear of the Tribeca sort of resembles the new Hyundai Santa Fe.