March 2007 Sales: General Motors

GM Reports 909,094 Deliveries in Q1; 349,867 Deliveries in March

Q1

Retail Sales Up 0.5 Percent - Mid-Cars Up 14.5 Percent; Full-Size Pickups up 12.2 Percent

Saturn and GMC Post Substantial Gains Led By Aura Mid-Size Sedan and Crossovers Outlook and Acadia

Chevrolet Impala and Aveo Post Quarterly Record Sales

Daily Rental Sales Down 32 Percent; Non-Rental Fleet Sales Up 3 Percent

March

Sales Down 7.7 Percent vs. Year Ago

GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook Fuel 235 Percent Retail Increase in Mid-Utility Crossover Sales

Record March Escalade Sales Drive 17.6 Percent Retail Increase in Large Luxury Utilities

Chevrolet Impala, Pontiac G6 and Saturn Aura Contribute To Retail Sales Increase For Mid-Car Segment

Daily Rental Sales Down 35 Percent

DETROIT - GM dealers in the United States delivered 349,867 vehicles in March, a reduction of 7.7 percent on a sales day-adjusted basis (down 4.2 percent non-adjusted), compared with 365,375 total sales a year ago. Fleet sales were down 11.8 percent due to continuing reductions in daily rental sales. GM's March retail sales were down 6.2 percent compared with year-ago levels on a sales day-adjusted basis (down 2.8 percent non-adjusted).

For the first quarter of 2007, GM delivered 909,094 vehicles, a decline of 5.6 percent, driven by reductions of almost 60,000 daily rental vehicle sales. For the first quarter of 2007, GM retail sales were up 0.5 percent. The reductions in fleet sales have resulted in a significant improvement in the retail/fleet mix.

"As we continue to build upon our strategy of focusing on value, lowering daily rental sales and increasing residual values, we were able to grow retail sales for the quarter, posting year-over-year increases in 19 vehicle lines. That's very good news. In March, we saw continued strength and stability in our retail business led by gains in mid-cars, crossovers, economy cars and luxury SUVs," said Mark LaNeve, vice president, GM North American Sales, Service and Marketing. "The Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra, Acadia and Saturn Outlook are exceeding our expectations and confirm that when you offer the best product, value, segment-leading fuel economy and the best warranty coverage in the industry, customers respond."

GM March sales reflected the continuing strength of the new product portfolio with competitive incentive spending, balanced with ongoing reductions in daily rental fleet sales.

Chevrolet Aveo, Impala, Equinox, HHR, Suburban and Avalanche; Pontiac G6; Saturn Sky; GMC Yukon XL; Cadillac SRX, Escalade ESV and Escalade EXT all had March retail sales increases compared to a year ago. Pontiac G5; Saturn Aura and Outlook and the GMC Acadia are newly-offered products and continue to contribute retail sales momentum. The GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook drove a 235 percent retail increase in the mid-crossover segment.

For the first quarter, Chevrolet Aveo, Impala, Colorado, Silverado, Suburban and Avalanche; Buick Rendezvous; Pontiac G6 and Vibe; Saturn Sky; GMC Canyon, Sierra and Yukon XL; Cadillac SRX, Escalade, Escalade ESV and Escalade EXT; Saab 9-5 and 9-7X all had retail sales increases compared with the first quarter of 2006. Pontiac G5, Saturn Aura and Outlook and GMC Acadia built retail strength in the quarter.

"GM offers the best coverage with a 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain limited warranty with roadside assistance and courtesy transportation. For customers, that translates to tangible value versus competitive cars, SUVs and trucks," LaNeve added. "Our customers are telling us that we have great products, industry-leading fuel economy and the best value out there. And with new products such as the Buick Enclave, Cadillac CTS and Chevrolet Malibu still to come this year, we expect to build on this momentum."

Sales Chart March. 2007

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

There were some ugly numbers in there.

Buick needs the next LaCrosse ASAP and the Lucerne starting to fade faster than most cars do (I am guessing because of it's old mechanicals).

CTS is slowing, which is expected with the new one coming soon; STS and DTS are both showing their age.

SRX had a strong month (though 2.2k is well below what they would like to sell, I think), as did Escalade.

How were the Silverado and Sierra down?

Acadia had a strong month again, and it appears the Outlook may be starting to catch on.

Aura had by far it's best month ever, it's pace was 66k/year. Still not the 100k/year they said they wanted, but maybe it's starting to catch on, too.

Saturn is doing alright but I really expected them to be selling more Aura's by now.

Buick's just this side of Dead, They can't get the Enclave fast enough and they need the EP2 LAcrosse and another product after that pronto.

Chevrolet is looking alright. The Impala is still strong and the cars that were week are ones that are about to replaced or refreshed. Either way only about 20k sales difference for the entire divison which really isn't bad at all considering a lot fo things are slumping slightly after being on the market for a few year. But guess waht GM has enhanced or completley new models to replace those starting to loose steam right around the corner! They finally got their product cycle working right.

Pontiac seams to be doing very well on the retail side. They were up for the month retail wise despite the heavily fleeted GP being way down. Looks like the rentals are bing pulled out of pontiac and they are still clinging to their volume with reduced incentives to boot!

Cadillac is an interesting story. Trucks and SRX are doing great. ALL the cars are down. I know the new CTS will do wonders for the CTS family. Hopefully the STS refresh does the trick too.

Hummer is hurting but they have some new products around the bend.

OVerall GM is doing pretty well.

Saturn is doing alright but I really expected them to be selling more Aura's by now.

Buick's just this side of Dead, They can't get the Enclave fast enough and they need the EP2 LAcrosse and another product after that pronto.

Chevrolet is looking alright. The Impala is still strong and the cars that were week are ones that are about to replaced or refreshed. Either way only about 20k sales difference for the entire divison which really isn't bad at all considering a lot fo things are slumping slightly after being on the market for a few year. But guess waht GM has enhanced or completley new models to replace those starting to loose steam right around the corner! They finally got their product cycle working right.

Pontiac seams to be doing very well on the retail side. They were up for the month retail wise despite the heavily fleeted GP being way down. Looks like the rentals are bing pulled out of pontiac and they are still clinging to their volume with reduced incentives to boot!

Cadillac is an interesting story. Trucks and SRX are doing great. ALL the cars are down. I know the new CTS will do wonders for the CTS family. Hopefully the STS refresh does the trick too.

Hummer is hurting but they have some new products around the bend.

OVerall GM is doing pretty well.

Overall, I think GM is doing okay too. It's interesting that I've noticed not only the STS declining in sales, but so is the Lexus GS model and the Acura RL. It seems that a lot of the $50k range sedans seem to be trending downward in sales. Cadillac will do well with the upcoming CTS. Hopefully they market and price it well - the styling and interior look totally top notch.

Buick is in trouble I think - I'm sure the Enclave will sell however. I feel this is a direct result of a couple of key things that GM did wrong with Buick: 1) changing the names of their cars and 2) - not giving the cars the right engines/transmissions. The Lucerne should have the 3.6L DOHC engine from the Aura as standard equipment and so should the LaCrosse - with 6 spd transmissions. Lets face it, $30k + is a lot to pay for a Lucerne that isn't really all that modern (in the drive train dept.). I love the styling of the Lucerne, but the name is silly, and I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a car that I knew just wasn't competitive. It would bug me.

I can't believe the Impala sells like it does. That's cool. I like the current SS model, but knowing about the upcoming rear drive cars, I wouldn't buy a current SS.

I honestly think the best (mainstream) sedan offering from GM right now has to be the Aura. For the money, it clearly represents an incredible value. GM needs to really start pushing that car to the mainstream public a lot more.

I'm not sure why the new full size trucks aren't selling as well. I'll bet it has to do with pricing. I have a feeling that you could probably buy the last generation trucks pretty cheap last year, starting about now. I'm still thinking that most dealers are getting close to full sticker on the new ones. Sales will pick up on the 900s once the discounts start coming. I think GM should have just come out priced $10k below Toyota with the Silverado/Sierra duo. Toyota would have been screwed. I seriously think GM needed to do that, to really clean Toyota's clock in that segment. They still probably will, but I would have come to this battle firing nukes, not RPGs. Oh, and they should have made the 403 hp 6.2L 6 spd. engine standard in the LTZ, but that's just wishful thinking I guess. :rolleyes:

Why is the Ford Edge / Lincoln MKX outselling the Acadia / Outlook almost 2 to 1???

I find this confusing. Everyone predicted the Lambda's would far outsell the Ford / Lincoln. The Lambda's also got far better reviews in EVERY magazine out there.

I guess I am just finding this to be odd. Even on BON, most were expecting the Edge to not stack up well with the Lambda's.

Is Fords advertising really that much better???? Goodness knows the trucks aren't that much less expensive.

Still unsure as to why Olds was cut and why Buick was not.

Then you haven't done enough research... it's very clear and has been explained several times as to why.

I'll help you out starting on the research:

http://money.cnn.com/2000/12/12/companies/oldsmobile/

Steady decline in Oldsmobile sales, share

The industry sales trend meant that Oldsmobile's sales and market share plunged steadily for well over a decade, dropping to only 265,878 vehicles sold in the first 11 months of this year (2000), representing only 1.6 percent of the U.S. market. By comparison, in 1985 the brand sold 1.1 million U.S. vehicles, or 7 percent of that market.

The sales are even weaker than those numbers suggest, said David Healy, analyst with Burnham Securities. He said about half the sales are lower-profit fleet sales to companies or to GM employees at a discount. He said the elimination of the Oldsmobile brand was inevitable.

Buick's sales in 2000 were 404,612 compared to Oldsmobile's 289,172.

As a reference, Buick sold 282,288 in 2005 and 240,657 in 2006 @ about 30% fleet (with a firm commitment from GM to reduce further.) Buick continues to meet/exceed Oldsmobile sales from almost a decade ago with less models and less investment than Oldsmobile was given. Buick is also distributed through a shared dealership network with Pontiac and GMC. Oh yes, as 91z4me pointed out, Buick has China also. Oldsmobile's sales towards the end pales to Buick's Global volume. I think it's pretty clear if GM had to cut one of them, GM made the correct choice.

I don't mean to start another 'Buick vs Olds' war... but some Olds loyalists are constantly starting this argument without looking to Oldsmobile first for the reasons why. Buick was Profitable in 2000 and wasn't even in consideration. The two up for consideration in 2000 were Oldsmobile & Saturn. Besides SAAB, they were the only unprofitable divisions GMNA had at the time. Even now, Buick is profitable globally.

I don't mean to start another 'Buick vs Olds' war... but some Olds loyalists are constantly starting this argument without looking to Oldsmobile first for the reasons why. Buick was Profitable in 2000 and wasn't even in consideration. The two up for consideration in 2000 were Oldsmobile & Saturn. Besides SAAB, they were the only unprofitable divisions GMNA had at the time. Even now, Buick is profitable globally.

I can't participate in Buick vs Olds wars. My first car was an Oldsmobile, but I'm heavily commited to Buick because I'm from Flint...I'm very torn.

Edited by AxelTheRed

The Edge has the better design. It stands out more. The Edge will continue to outsell the Lambda twins for the forseeable future. Blame Lutz for not being "edge"y enough.

Except for the fact that it only has 2 rows and the interior is low-rate...

The Edge has the better design. It stands out more. The Edge will continue to outsell the Lambda twins for the forseeable future. Blame Lutz for not being "edge"y enough.

The Edge has the loyal Explorer buyers to feed off of. They only reason why it will outsell the Lambdas is due to cannibalism. Even though they're not direct competitors (Think Saturn VUE = Edge), The Lambdas will continue to pick up steam.

They are close to the same price range.

The reason that many are comparing them, is because many on the GM sites, and even BON, claimed that GM had the better idea when it came to CUV's. They knew that a very large 7-seater was the way to go, and Ford would pay for making the Edge "only" seat 5. This is the same thing that all of the reviews have talked about also. Yet, in real world sales, it is not playing out this way.

This is very interesting to me, because I am both a Ford and GM fan. I read on websites for both, and own both. It is also interesting to see that maybe............. just maybe............... most of us really do not know what is going to happen in CUV sales. It is a rapidly growing segment, and it is relatively new. Thus, it is the unknown. I will somehow find it funny if so many are so wrong. Not funny because GM is having fewer sales than Ford, but funny because maybe Ford got this one right.

Who knows. We will see how this plays out in the months to come.

Well... Considering that the only two Lambdas currently on sale are one from a brand with a limited dealer network and one from a brand from which people are used to buying trucks from... I think once the Enclave is on sale and up to steam, and the Chevrolet Lambda is out in a year or two, comparing those to the Edge and MKX will give you a more realistic idea of how they will stack up against each other.

Sorry but the Edge is fugly. I'm surprised it's selling as well as it is.

"most of us really do not know what is going to happen in CUV sales. It is a rapidly growing segment, and it is relatively new" Just to add on what 01LightningGal has said, and speaking as a Canadian, there is a big hole in the Chevrolet line up. We are losing tons of our Tracker people, who are defecting to the enemy BECAUSE they loved their CUV.

Chevrolet NEEDS a credible minivan, a CUV and a 7 seater SUV that doesn't have its own zip code. The Equinox is trying to be all things to all people - and failing. I had very loyal customers look at the 'Nox and then the Torrent - guess what they want?

With 24% market share in Canada (and a lot less than that in the Greater Toronto Area), GM is stretched too thin. Way too thin. Although great strides have been made in the look and quality appearance of vehicles in the past couple years, it almost seems like GM is plugging holes in the dike. They need to have the money to replace the dike, but won't be able to if they have to put patches across 8 product lines!

The styling of the Edge is no "edgy'er" than the Lambda's. It's actually blander than the Lambda's. I didn't realize the Edge was only a 5 seater, for some reason I thought it had a 3rd row. But I can see how the Edge would sell better since it's almost $5k cheaper and most people do not need room for 7.

Edited by BuddyP

For what it's worth, GMC advertises the crap out of the Acadia on womens' networks (Food Network, HGTV are popular with my wife). However, the Edge's ad stands out much more, particularly because when you hear "I LIKE TO LIVE ON THE EDGE-uh" ad nauseum, your memory tends to retain it.

Give it a few months. Everyone know Ford needs a hit, good for them, GM has proven their worth with the Outlook and Acaida, wait till the best of all the Enclave, sales will look different I predict. I like the front of them and the interior was okay, but over-all the Lambdas.

Edited by gm4life

Saturn needs more dealers. Aura is becoming a dime a dozen here already; I'm surprised the sales are what they are given the success here in LA. That said, the gradual increase they are experiencing is still to be expected, as we are only in what, the fifth month, of it's on sale date? or less? or a little more? Anyways, it's still early, and will still see increases. In a year we will be seeing a pace of 100k-150k year; with subsequent increases the following years. Outlook needs heavier advertising. It's the most impressive looking Lambda so far, and it rarely gets advertising. i know the print stuff is everywhere; but those people already know about the Outlook, and they're helping to boost the sales/buzz already. We need the general public to notice there is a new attractive ute out there.

Edited by turbo200

Let's see what the sales differences are in the middle of summer when both have their legs under them. The Edge has been on sale for a good 2 months longer than the Lambdas.

The Edge started to hit dealerships, in very limited numbers, in mid to late December. I believe the Lambda's were close to that.

For the gentleman who says that things will be different when the Enclave and Chevy Lambda comes out.................. well I would certainly hope so. 4 different vehicles from 4 different brands. Good grief, I would hope they can outsell a Ford and Lincoln. LOL

Anyway, like I said, we will see. Unlike some here, I really like the looks of what some call a "fugly" vehicle. I guess we all have our own opinion.............. right???

For the gentleman who says that things will be different when the Enclave and Chevy Lambda comes out.................. well I would certainly hope so. 4 different vehicles from 4 different brands. Good grief, I would hope they can outsell a Ford and Lincoln. LOL

That's not at all what I meant. I mean the Chevy Lambda and the Buick Enclave versus the Edge and MKX, not all four lambdas. The Outlook and Acadia are at a disadvantage no matter how much better they are. Take the Aura. It's been noted as being much better than it's own siblings, yet it's still being outsold by quite a bit, even only looking at retail sales. Saturn's dealer network is largely out numbered.

:soapbox:

Someone needs to email GM a clue about buick--and the Lambdas for that matter. The critics have done an OUTSTANDING job in print, internet, tv and everyother mass media outlet of making us(and GM) believe that all buick's former customers have defected to imports like Toyota and Honda. While this may be true in part, I think its more a case of Buick's large loyal following dying off, getting older(buying car less often if even still driving) and yes some have moved on to other brands. The other reason is that today's largest pool of carbuyers, which I would say were born post-1960, came to start appreciating cars in the late 70's 80's and 90's. During these decades, buick continuously got little or no attention. The 82 century wasn't updated until 97. The last gen park ave was an evoloution of the design that started in 1991. The 1990 lesabre design wasn't really updated until 2000 and I could go on. Concurrently, gm unveiled no new technologies or innovations through the buick line(save maybe the 87' GNX ')during this period and so now buick is left with its only customer base as people who are either old enough to remember its days of greatness. Or people like myself who's parents drove only oldsmobile and buick, swore off imports and instilled these values in us.(though wife HAD to have lexus)

And so the madness continues, at least for now, with the intoduction of the super line. Alas, buick will stuff 300 horsepower engines in its two ''quiet tuned'' cars and get some minor suspension tweaking, new faux wood and that should bolster sales right? Wrong again. The only people who know about these changes are the Gm faithful like us on this site and others who may have googled the name 'buick to check out the Enclave.

The lacrosse and lucerne should have been stop gap cars only! What I mean is they should only have run maybe a two year course while GM developed ALL NEW cars. All the name changing did was make SOME(not many) wonder if things were truly as different as the name suggested and sadly we found they weren't. Old southern saying: You can put a pig in a dress buts its still a hog underneath. :banghead:

Buick

I would like to see something jaw-dropping done with the next Lacrosse and I wish they would do an extensive update of the Lucerne for 08(3.6 w/6 speed anyone :scratchchin: ). As much as I love my 3800 v6, GM needs to ditch it as the car-buying public at large desires the overhead cams utilized often in import applications. Saturn is experiencing new found intrest because they've gotten like 5 or 6 new cars in about 18 months. The Lacrosse was never a star, but the Lucerne definitely created some buzz and went toe-to-toe saleswise with the segment leading Avalon last year. But alas the newness has worn off and now the dated mechanicals struggle to garner new sales in the face of more modern competition. Make your next Lacrosse and Lucerne absolutely breathtaking in style, innovative in its engines/mechanicals and pampering in its interior. People want and will buy cars that have these characteristics. If you do use Lexus as your benchmark, shoot for better--not just as good which you did with LAX and LUCY-- because you can bet they will not sit still while you play catchup.

GM.

Get your head out of your ass already! Take some of the money in your marketing budget and advertise the Enclave now!!! I think a great premise for a commercial would be something that showcases the Acadia/Outlook and then at the very end gives a brief but enticing look at a fully loaded Enclave. Tease the public's intrest and develop some pre-launch buzz among car-buyers(4get about the import-humping press). It may not be conventional advertising, but none of the previous Buick campaigns have brought the masses in the showrooms either. Whatever you do, stop treating Buick as a red-headed step child and give us somethin' to shout about!!!!! C'mon Lutz, get those asses in gear before the next decade!

Sorry for the long post, bottled up emotions just came out, lol.

:soapbox:

Someone needs to email GM a clue about buick--and the Lambdas for that matter. The critics have done an OUTSTANDING job in print, internet, tv and everyother mass media outlet of making us(and GM) believe that all buick's former customers have defected to imports like Toyota and Honda. While this may be true in part, I think its more a case of Buick's large loyal following dying off, getting older(buying car less often if even still driving) and yes some have moved on to other brands. The other reason is that today's largest pool of carbuyers, which I would say were born post-1960, came to start appreciating cars in the late 70's 80's and 90's. During these decades, buick continuously got little or no attention. The 82 century wasn't updated until 97. The last gen park ave was an evoloution of the design that started in 1991. The 1990 lesabre design wasn't really updated until 2000 and I could go on. Concurrently, gm unveiled no new technologies or innovations through the buick line(save maybe the 87' GNX ')during this period and so now buick is left with its only customer base as people who are either old enough to remember its days of greatness. Or people like myself who's parents drove only oldsmobile and buick, swore off imports and instilled these values in us.(though wife HAD to have lexus)

And so the madness continues, at least for now, with the intoduction of the super line. Alas, buick will stuff 300 horsepower engines in its two ''quiet tuned'' cars and get some minor suspension tweaking, new faux wood and that should bolster sales right? Wrong again. The only people who know about these changes are the Gm faithful like us on this site and others who may have googled the name 'buick to check out the Enclave.

The lacrosse and lucerne should have been stop gap cars only! What I mean is they should only have run maybe a two year course while GM developed ALL NEW cars. All the name changing did was make SOME(not many) wonder if things were truly as different as the name suggested and sadly we found they weren't. Old southern saying: You can put a pig in a dress buts its still a hog underneath. :banghead:

Buick

I would like to see something jaw-dropping done with the next Lacrosse and I wish they would do an extensive update of the Lucerne for 08(3.6 w/6 speed anyone :scratchchin: ). As much as I love my 3800 v6, GM needs to ditch it as the car-buying public at large desires the overhead cams utilized often in import applications. Saturn is experiencing new found intrest because they've gotten like 5 or 6 new cars in about 18 months. The Lacrosse was never a star, but the Lucerne definitely created some buzz and went toe-to-toe saleswise with the segment leading Avalon last year. But alas the newness has worn off and now the dated mechanicals struggle to garner new sales in the face of more modern competition. Make your next Lacrosse and Lucerne absolutely breathtaking in style, innovative in its engines/mechanicals and pampering in its interior. People want and will buy cars that have these characteristics. If you do use Lexus as your benchmark, shoot for better--not just as good which you did with LAX and LUCY-- because you can bet they will not sit still while you play catchup.

GM.

Get your head out of your ass already! Take some of the money in your marketing budget and advertise the Enclave now!!! I think a great premise for a commercial would be something that showcases the Acadia/Outlook and then at the very end gives a brief but enticing look at a fully loaded Enclave. Tease the public's intrest and develop some pre-launch buzz among car-buyers(4get about the import-humping press). It may not be conventional advertising, but none of the previous Buick campaigns have brought the masses in the showrooms either. Whatever you do, stop treating Buick as a red-headed step child and give us somethin' to shout about!!!!! C'mon Lutz, get those asses in gear before the next decade!

Sorry for the long post, bottled up emotions just came out, lol.

Good stuff - hopefully they're listening - I'd hope they are since the volume on this site is quite manageable.

Why is the Ford Edge / Lincoln MKX outselling the Acadia / Outlook almost 2 to 1???

I find this confusing. Everyone predicted the Lambda's would far outsell the Ford / Lincoln. The Lambda's also got far better reviews in EVERY magazine out there.

I guess I am just finding this to be odd. Even on BON, most were expecting the Edge to not stack up well with the Lambda's.

Is Fords advertising really that much better???? Goodness knows the trucks aren't that much less expensive.

Sure, the Ford twins might be outselling the GMs 2 to 1, but guess what? I've seen TWICE AS MANY ADVERTISEMENTS ON TV FOR THEM.

I'm starting to notice a trend here... :deadhorse:

You wonder why GM dealers are running their own aggressive ads.

Edited by bcs296

Wouldn't a commercial that showcases the Acadia/Outlook, just confuse the public even more. Those two vehicles look to identical to be in the same commercial. The public woulld be left scratching their heads!

I don't disagree, there will be some confusion, but the point is it will then be on peoples mind-- which currently I am finding largely that it is not.(not around here, anyway) I have seen one Acadia on the road and no Outlooks. We have one Saturn dealer in Jackson, Ms and several GMC dealers. The only advertising of either I have seen has been from GMC dealers and it is done quite sparringly.