Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

NYIAS: Chevrolet Trax, Beat, & Groove Concepts

Whoa! They all actually look very cool and definitely highly styled--in a great way. Reminds me of Scion, for sure, and I really think they need to go into production, at least one or two of them, that is. The Trax is a little gangly, but maybe the other two.

Either way, it could be a great way to expand Chevy and they're really fitting of Chevy being the cool, value brand of GM.

I dunno... They're all a little wacky. I guess I should pick the sort of wacky I like best.

At this point I'd rather have a 4-door, so the Beat is automatically out. Other than that, it's pretty cool-looking overall.

Stylistically speaking, I dislike the Groove's resemblance to a Scion concept. The back end is kinda like a Euro car or Suzuki Aerio.

I've gotta pick the Trax. It looks like a baby SUV, even though it's really not. It's very tough-looking for its size, while all the other subcompacts are too busy trying to look cute or edgy.

...And looking at the poll, I see I'm in the minority.

Edited by aaaantoine

Awsome! I like the Beat and Groove, while having mixed feelings about the Trax, it does have some neat features. These could SO help GM, best looking small cars on the market.

Now these are clearly in a pretty drastic concept form, will will tone down quit a bit for consumer but these are badly needed very soon, I think they could be really good sellers!

I like everything about the Trax except it's superboy headlamps--they just don't fit. The front end on the Groove is much better. I think the Groove is getting the most votes out of these because it is the most refined looking--you can tell that it is built by the same company that's going to build the new Malibu.

The Beat and Groove are definitely production worthy. I like the Groove. It beats the xB or even the xA hands down.

I think Chevy is finally serious about assaulting Toyota's dominance in the car market.

Aveo v. Yaris. Aveo wins, despite outdated engine.

Beat v. Scion xA. Beat wins.

Groove v. Scion xB. Groove wins.

2010 Volt v. 2010 Prius. Volt wins.

2009 Cobalt v. 2009 Corolla. Cobalt wins.

Cobalt SS v. Scion tC. Cobalt SS wins.

2008 Malibu v. 2008 Camry. Malibu wins on style, substance, value, loses on MPG with V-6(may be? unless the Camry's V-6 takes a big hit from the EPA)

2009/2010 Impala v. Avalon. Impala wins.

2009 Equinox v. 2009 Rav4, Equinox wins.

2009 Nomad v. 2009 Highlander. Nomad wins.

2009 Nomad v. 2009 Sienna. Nomad wins.

2010 Colorado v. 2010 Tacoma. Colorado wins.

Silverado v. Tundra. Silverado wins.

2009 Express v. "nothing" Express wins.

Chevy looks to be on a roll over the next 3-4 years.

Can't wait for Pontiac & Buick to do the same.

I am not a huge fan of the segment, but with fuel costs they need to be competing, so I am going to have to say Trax first I like the chunky quasi-rugged SUVishness of it. 2nd place Beat, the headlights a crazy long, but fit with the car. And I am going to have to agree that there is too much Scion Xb on the Groove.

I like all three but I could tweak every one.

Beat: Looks a little too much like a Renault Clio. Change the Gremlin rear window line and its way cool on the outside. The interior looks a little too much like a video game to me. The IP, steering wheel and center stack are all over wrought. The center stack in the best part, the wheel the most garish.

Trax: I think I like this the best because I would change it the least. Slope the hood a little, it doesn't have to look quite so much like a brick. Make it one color. The Honda Element is a pretty functional vehicle, but it ain't pretty. Loose the fender vent. Anything Ford has adopted for the new Taurus as a styling element should be avoided.

Groove: Looks big for a small car. The overall look is too much of an xB knockoff. But with some sloping and shaping it could be an HHR replacement. I love the tail lights except for the expensive cuts into the glass. Looks like lots of cost for little point.

Its very good to see Chevy advancing 3 cool concepts. GM seems to be getting its stylilng groove back after a long hiatus.

wooooooooowwww!

unbelieveable and unprecedented. I've been talking a lot about how the imports know how to hit thier market correctly; these cars are undeniably hitting thier intended market square on the head. I can not find one detail on any of these cars I don't love. Looking at them, if sold as is, with all the details, I can see them all being huge successes, even at 16k, especially the Trax. The Groove is also incredible looking; I love how each car picks up on Chevy design cues used in concepts, in the HHR and even Uplander!, and takes it all to new heights. If GM is trying to figure out which design theme to go with on thier upcoming cars, or even just this subcompact line of cars; they need to stop! and Build them ALL! They all look fantastic!

I love that GM has stepped up to plated and offered something that is clearly efficient, clearly aimed at urban markets instead of dumb fat overwrought sedans all the time. Thank God!

I love the new faces. The Groove face is sexy as hell; the Trax face is undeniably cute, appealing, upmarket, and trendy; the Beat is straight aggression, straight detail, and very very sexy.

Good job GM!

Now let me let one out of the old "complaint bag". Get a move on it! Get them here now.

Edited by turbo200

I really like the Groove because it is unique and you can tell it is a Chevy. I also like the Beat however, it looks too European like a Peugeot or the Toyota Aygo. The interior is amazing though. The Groove with the Beat interior would persuade me to buy one right away.

I think Grove is better in looks compared to the other three.

But I am frankly amazed by the level of details which has gone into these vehicles.

I think Chevy should build at least one of these and soon.

I will prefer the 1.2 Turbo, dunno how much will it make in terms of power.

But like someone else mentioned, keep the weight under 2000lbs and add about a 100 hp, and these things will be a blast to drive.

Put in a 6-speed manual, like the Corsa OPC, and I will order it right away.

I always wondered why would small cars have to end up with a bad power to weight ratio? Like the Aveo, which has like 22 lb/hp, which is a sloth.

They should bring that up to 16-17 lb/hp and it will be a treat to drive.

They're equally good.

Build 'em all...three flavors of the same master car.

Obviously they target distinct sub-segments. If those sub-segments' buy desires are so easily discerned and so different...what's the point of the exercise, to figure out which 2/3 of the overall segment won't be served?

That would be nuts.

Build 'em all and have a flavor for all those customers.

• 3 months later...

I like all three. It's great to see GM actually taking an interest in this segment (hopefully, it is not all a smoke and mirrors gimmick that will never see the light of day; much like the Sixteen and Velite). Of the three the Groove is my favorite. The Trax design is great too, but I hate the two tone paint job. The Beat is okay, but I think the styling theme was carried out better on the upcoming redesigned Mazda2 (that said, I will admit that I am a bit partial to Mazda and four door vehicles). I think there is a place in today's gas conscious society for at least two, if not all three, designs (I'm sure people shopping in this segment would like to have choices too). I hope they don't pull a Chrysler trick and show us a great vehicle (the Hornet Concept) and then offer a modern day Yugo/Hyundai Excel as a product (Chery A1).