Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Hyundai Pickup Truck May Be in the Pipeline

SEOUL, S. Korea — Hyundai Motor took a step closer toward producing a pickup truck for the U.S. market, with the announcement on Tuesday that it was considering such a vehicle following a trade deal with the U.S. But the timeline for such a vehicle in the Hyundai lineup remains vague and could be years away.

"We will conduct a feasibility study [on the pickup model] as a long-term project, depending on the elimination of tariffs," Hyundai said, according to Reuters.

The U.S. on Monday agreed to immediately remove tariffs on cars with engines 3.0 liters or smaller and auto parts from South Korea. The agreement also called for the elimination of tariffs for pickups in 10 years.

For years, Hyundai's American dealers have been urging the automaker to flesh out the lineup with a pickup truck. The brand's American executives and engineers have acknowledged for several years that the company has been considering adding a pickup. But the new U.S. trade pact finally makes the long-term plan for a pickup truck a little more realistic.

What this means to you: There could be a Hyundai pickup in your driveway in the distant future.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=120247

What this actually means: Once more the US government makes it easier for foreign companies to import and does jack $h! to help the domestic automakers.

Here's the thing, though. If we were to send them our trucks, what could we send them? The Colorado?!

I doubt Sierra's and Silverado's would be viable because the price of fuel out there is effing expensive compared to ours, and I understand that they have taxes on the number of cylinders.

What? How does your statement make any sense? Tariffs belong in the 1800s.

Tell that to the rest of the world.

Actually, consumers from other countries have more sense then to just buy up everything from countries that will not buy anything back.

Edited by BrewSwillis

"What this means to you: There could be a Hyundai pickup in your driveway in the distant future."

There really won't be. People who buy Hyundais aren't the same people who buy trucks and in the off-chance it does happen, it will be off the market quickly.

Edited by AxelTheRed

This isn't really new news. Hyundai/Kia have been talking about a unibody pickup for at least 2 years. It's one of those on again/off again programs. Some time in early 2006 there was supposed to be a meeting to decide the program's fate. I never heard the outcome. Wouldn't surprise me if they are still on the fence about it.

They aren't the only ones thinking about unibody pickups...

They aren't the only ones thinking about unibody pickups...

Perhaps it was just somebody on the Google-tube who was musing, but I heard something about how GM was looking at a unibody truck, something to compete against the Ridgeline, and other possible contenders. ^_^

99% chance it will suck.

100% chance it will still be better than the Honda Ridgeline!

"What this means to you: There could be a Hyundai pickup in your driveway in the distant future."

There really won't be. People who buy Hyundais aren't the same people who buy trucks and in the off-chance it does happen, it will be off the market quickly.

people were probably saying the same thing when Honda announced the Ridgeline. and I see a fair bit of them these days

people were probably saying the same thing when Honda announced the Ridgeline. and I see a fair bit of them these days

My Ridgeline went by bye last week.The fuel milage was bad when pulling.It was a very nice car,I just needed a truck.The trunk and the tailgate were great.The unheated mirrors and no DRL's were not.It was a nice car,my Silverado crew cab 07 is a real nice truck.

People who buy Hyundais aren't the same people who buy trucks and in the off-chance it does happen, it will be off the market quickly.

Not so. The "people who buy Hyundais" are becoming your neighbors more and more. Each generation of Hyundai appeals to new buyers. The Elantra, Sonata, Azera, and Entourage are opening new markets every day for Hyundai. The new "Genesis" will do the same when it arrives next year...as will the next generation Tiburon. I don't see why Hyundai won't be a success at pickups as well. If you automatically write-off Hyundai as a non-entity in any segment, you haven't been paying attention...and you're setting yourself up to be disappointed.

Not so. The "people who buy Hyundais" are becoming your neighbors more and more. Each generation of Hyundai appeals to new buyers.

On vacation maybe.

The Elantra, Sonata, Azera, and Entourage are opening new markets every day for Hyundai. The new "Genesis" will do the same when it arrives next year

Like the Azera? Hows that one doing?

I wouldnt boast about the Sonata either. If one can slam GM or anyone else for fleeting Hyundai is no different.

...as will the next generation Tiburon. I don't see why Hyundai won't be a success at pickups as well

If you automatically write-off Hyundai as a non-entity in any segment, you haven't been paying attention...and you're setting yourself up to be disappointed..

No one should count anyone out but. Ill go out on a limb and say a warranty wont sell a truck. At least not in any dramatic fashion. Just a hunch.

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I am a Korean myself but I don't really have love for Hyundais, for Kia, I kinda like them btw, even though Hyundai now owns them. When I saw this Kia Pick Up concept in the Auto show a whille back along with the video in the show-floor showing the automatic seats moving back and forth remotely to aid in gettin in and out and other duties, I thought it was pretty nifty, and thought, "this has a potential, and I think it will sell in US". But, now Kia just announced the new SUV using the same name of this concept, I was like, Oh, so, they finally scraped the idea. So.

To me, I don't think we will see pick ups from the Korean make anytime soon, well, it could, but not very soon.

Posted Image

an old concept from Kia called 'Mojave' which most of you probably have seen.