Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Looks awesome! Makes the Taurus X even more obsolete, and provides great competition to the Lambda trio. Well done, Ford! Now where's the Dodge rival? (And no, JC49 is not it-that's mid-size, this is definitely full-size).

Looks awesome! Makes the Taurus X even more obsolete, and provides great competition to the Lambda trio. Well done, Ford! Now where's the Dodge rival? (And no, JC49 is not it-that's mid-size, this is definitely full-size).

based on looks and size alone it'll probably be priced higher than Taurus X... more into Outlook territory....

The Lambda's appear to have quite a bit more shoulder and hip room than the Flex, but the Flex appears to have more leg room in the second and third rows. The Flex will only be a little wider and longer than the Taurus X. I like the Taurus X the best in this market, as it's not overweight like the others.

The standard roof is body-colored. Options include white or silver roof.

The next step for Ford is 1) new F150, 2) MCE Mustang 3) MCE Fusion 4) MKS 5) B-car They will all be out by this time next year ..

Interceptor has to wait for now - ford has a product invasion on their hands - even more in the year after that: 1) all new Explorer 2) all new Taurus 3) all new Focus

Igor

are we talking Mondeo=new Taurus

and C1 Focus= NG Focus?

Now that I can see the full-size pics, all I can say is....FINALLY! The interior is beautiful, the exterior is entirely unique (and BOLD like it should be). The detailing is spot-on. I spent 5 minutes just looking at that picture of the gauge cluster. This will do very well for Ford.

I'm not sure the interior will look so great when the car finally hits dealers in one year.

I like it. I really do. However, it has the worst name of any vehicle in recent history. Worse than the Isuzu Hombre, which translates to "I bought a 5-speed Man because I like to feel the stick."

now i know my world is f-ed up when fly professes sweetness for a ford.

ok, the front and ass views are much improved over the show car.

the side view is extremely awkward, now however. and the overt boxiness goes beyond the land rover classiness and goes into 'just frickin boxy'.

this is still not something folks will trip over themselves to buy. the acadia still renders this effort pretty much moot. the chevy lambda will slaughter this.

i am not sure if this 'grand wagoneer meets xb' look will amount to anything more than a niche. it may sell like gangbusters for 3-6 months out of the chute for all the freaks that need to drive something different in hopes of being the first to start a new trend and thus have have their societal existence justified in this world, but i fail to see how this vehicle justifies exiting the minivan segment that ford itself used to sell 200k units a year in. This thing may hit 50k a year if they are lucky. I'm pleased the interior is much better than the concept, but the interior still has a dull as sin dashboard. this dashboard is atrociously bland. they are trying so hard to make a 'budget' 'S80' dashboard and its at least got one part of that equation working. it's nice that they basically recycled the freestyle's seats with some new stitching patterns because they apparently had no budget to do this vehicle either. i suppose the taurus' interior redo will have this dash, since ford likes to share bad things lately.

and like i said in another topic, the lambdas render this useless anyways.

someone said in the previous topic that the lambdas were starting off slow. BIG BS! they are flying off lots! go to your GMC (NOT GMC TRUCKS) dealer and you might find one Acadia on the lot, but about 200 Envoys and Yukons.

Thing is, I am a slut for cheap wheels and if this tanks i could probably stomach driving it when they discount the snot out of it because it looks roomy and will be safe like all Fords usually are. It will be cheap to operate and fix and have cheap cheap cheap insurance. It looks like it will be out when my 500 lease is up. My Ford dealer is two miles away and Ford Sync will be out then. The Taurus X is looking repulsive to me until they fix the interior and the Edge is a two row with a cheap plastics and door panels on the interior (even though i love the ext. styling and some of the dash).

Of course if the Acadia ever gets affordable, its in my garage. Love the sweeping wraparound, driver oriented Acadia dash. Right next to the AWD G8 (wishful thinking).

Edited by regfootball

Why? It's tasteful and not overwrought...it's something that won't look dated right after you buy it.

He's saying that the competition will be even better in a year, which is true. The interior, while nice enough, is nothing amazing and if it was a Honda I'm guessing we'd be celebrating that it wasn't any better.

I actually just noticed it looks a lot like the Maxima interior that came out, what, 5 years prior to the Flex?

Posted Image

Posted Image

on GMI someone suggested this thing keeps the SUICIDE DOORS.

can anyone confirm? if it does, NO WAY JOSE. No one wants suicide doors. Terrible from a functional standpoint and absolute suicide from a marketing standpoint. Why put a feature on your car people refer to with SUICIDE in the name?

That move alone will eliminate any sales to women whatsoever.

Wow, Ford is off the deep end if they put suicide doors in this thing. If they do, I cut my my sales prediction in half or more.

by the way, the new radio and climate controls might be new, but they still look like they will suck.

why not simple large rotary twist knobs for auto climate controls? trying to find tiny buttons mounted low and having to hit them numerous times to adjust temp or fan speed is outright stupid, when you could simply twist a knob! these buttons are tinier and even harder to pick out than the current ones. Ford is devolving these aspects even further. where is the LARGE volume button i can use with gloves on? there is nothing tactile looking about any of these. they all look the same. they are all mounted too low and since I cannot pick them out on feel alone, I have to look down and take my eyes off the road to use them. SMART MOVE FORD!!!!!!

that analog clock is so useful way down low when a-i already have a digital readout of the clock time on my radio and b-my taco bell 44 ounce bladder buster is blocking it anyways!!!!!!!!!

can i work there? i'd love to drink on the job. why can't they fix this stuff? NAV screen ought to be higher.

where is the manumatic!??!?!?!!?

how many sedonas sold last year in the US?

I would forgive them on the dull dash if the center stack and controls were a lot interesting and functional instead of boring, cheap looking, and unusable.

Edited by regfootball

He's saying that the competition will be even better in a year, which is true. The interior, while nice enough, is nothing amazing and if it was a Honda I'm guessing we'd be celebrating that it wasn't any better.

I actually just noticed it looks a lot like the Maxima interior that came out, what, 5 years prior to the Flex?

Posted Image

Posted Image

That is true...

The interior actually reminds me of Volvos latest designs...especially the general shape of the center stack (not counting the floating design).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Dodgefan

That is true...

The interior actually reminds me of Volvos latest designs...especially the general shape of the center stack (not counting the floating design).

Posted Image

Posted Image

that's why i said it looks all S80. its like Ford has no original ideas, they have make a volvo lite look that does not succeed and loses a lot in translation.

Okay, just to flesh out my opinion aside from the :blink: icon I posted...

The design is just "okay" overall... Until I see it from this angle:

Posted Image

It looks overly long. Whereas the Suburban at least has proportions similar to a pick-up truck, This is just long, straight lines going from the A-pillar back.

But I give them credit for trying something differerent from their usual portfolio.

And yes, the name is dumb. It implies to me that the structure is anything but rigid, and the CUV's longness only amplifies that sentiment.

Edited by aaaantoine

Okay, just to flesh out my opinion aside from the :blink: icon I posted...

The design is just "okay" overall... Until I see it from this angle:

Posted Image

It looks overly long. Whereas the Suburban at least has proportions similar to a pick-up truck, This is just long, straight lines going from the A-pillar back.

But I give them credit for trying something differerent from their usual portfolio.

And yes, the name is dumb. It implies to me that the structure is anything but rigid, and the CUV's longness only amplifies that sentiment.

Yes, I agree. The concept's proportions look MUCH better:

Posted Image

Upon closer inspection, the production model has grown 12 inches compared to the Fairlane.

That is true...

That is true, too, I remember when we got those pics from the video I thought it looked a bit Volvo-ish, too.

The interior is not bad and is probably Ford's best recent effort, but how will this look in 3 years, when the vehicle has only been on the market for 2 years?

Why? It's tasteful and not overwrought...it's something that won't look dated right after you buy it.

Thunderbird Syndrome. You show what is arguably the 'final' car long, long before anyone can buy it. By the time it debuts, people begin to lose interest or make other purchases because they can't deal with the wait.

People will wait for an ancillary car like the Camaro or Challenger, but not something mass-market such as this.

The Aura was shown long before it was on lots and its doing ok. I do think they released the Camaro way too early since its not going to be on the roads for a long-ass time, but I think the Flex will be fine, though I do wish they'd get it out sooner.

I like it but it looks really long... have we become so accostumed to the more bulbous minivan-like styling that something station wagon-ish immediately evokes the 'really long' idea?

I like the MINI-like contrasting colour roof. It looks very neat!

are we talking Mondeo=new Taurus

and C1 Focus= NG Focus?

No

Mondeo and Fusion will .. eh. fuse in 2012 or so and become platform mates if not rebages.

the new 2010 Taurus will use a new version of the D3 platform, with better proportions (lower roof line) and all new sheet metal (and the TwinForce GTDI 3.5l V6 (400hp) as optional engine).

The NG Focus in US and Globally will be C2 focus - all new global Focus that will begin showing up in abut a year and half in prototypes ..look for a reveal in NAIAS 09.

Ford will reveal a pre-production concept of a b-car (Fiesta) on NAIAS 08 - it will go on sale in 09 as 2010 model.

2008 will see new F150, Mustang MKS and probably the Lincoln Version of the Flex. It will also see the significantly reworked Fusion and Fusion hybrid.

2009 is also to see all new unit-body Explorer and all new Escape.

Igor

Edited by Igor2

I'm not sure the interior will look so great when the car finally hits dealers in one year.

yes - Ford revealed it too early - but this is not a CONCEPT .. this is the finished deal . .. there are no changes planned anymore ..

Igor

No

Mondeo and Fusion will .. eh. fuse in 2012 or so and become platform mates if not rebages.

the new 2010 Taurus will use a new version of the D3 platform, with better proportions (lower roof line) and all new sheet metal (and the TwinForce GTDI 3.5l V6 (400hp) as optional engine).

The NG Focus in US and Globally will be C2 focus - all new global Focus that will begin showing up in abut a year and half in prototypes ..look for a reveal in NAIAS 09.

Ford will reveal a pre-production concept of a b-car (Fiesta) on NAIAS 08 - it will go on sale in 09 as 2010 model.

2008 will see new F150, Mustang MKS and probably the Lincoln Version of the Flex. It will also see the significantly reworked Fusion and Fusion hybrid.

2009 is also to see all new unit-body Explorer and all new Escape.

Igor

it's great how quickly Ford moves.

Here are some more pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So why can GM not seem to realize they lost that all important flat floor in the new Suburban / Yukon XL? Ford even has this all flat in the Expedition XL. It is one reason I still have my 94 GMC Suburban. i can pull the 3rd seat and lay down the 2nd row and get a butt load of sheet rock or any other big items inside where it is protected. Better yet, my wife and I can have an icechest and our cloths and sleep in the back when we go on weekend camping trips. No need to actually pitch a tent, just bring the lantern, stove, ice chest with food and ourcloths and boom, an awesome camping rig.

Boxy yes, differant, hell yes, will it sell? YES, differentiation is what will bring people to this product. For me, I will stay with my GM and Hope that GM will change the 3rd row of seats to fold into the floor and the second row to fold down flat with the back of the vehicle. Then all I feel GM needs to do is offer mini stage coach doors and a large flip up glass like the Excursion had and I will finally get my Full size SUV the way I want. :P

UGGGGGGLY. Exterior is way too busy. No real style. Just a box, and not a very good one. Crossover? Don't insult me. Plain and simple station wagon - xB meets Landrover, with a touch of Chrysler body creases down the side? Add some fake plastic wood, and call it retro.

Interior, boring and not very organic.

Would I buy it... Not at any price.

I like the styling...very wagon like, a nice change from SUV-wannabe crossovers and minivans. I like the creases down the sides and the taillgate trim.... clean interior design. I think it could do well for Ford.

:blink:

So... Is this some sort of Lambda competitor?

Yep. The only thing I don't like about the Flex is that it sits so low to the ground, reminding of you of it's minivan roots. The Lambdas have a taller, more conventional SUV stance, though still clearly being a crossover.

Yep. The only thing I don't like about the Flex is that it sits so low to the ground, reminding of you of it's minivan roots. The Lambdas have a taller, more conventional SUV stance, though still clearly being a crossover.

a minivans load floor is lower which allows for more room and cargo, but the lambdas offer the ground clearance which so many folks love in wintery weather.

that's why you could never truly say a lambda replaces a minivan fully....but it gets 80% of the way there. and that's enough in return for the SUV style.

you know, its a shame the interior sucks (too boxy and plain) on this thing. the utility alone is worth making one at least take a look.

Edited by regfootball

The only thing wrong with this thing is the name "Flex", which will undoubtedly confuse people.

It either evokes images of a muscle-bound airhead, or of fuel systems.

The name makes me think of application frameworks...this Flex rocks..