Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Oldsmobiles were a "A Step Ahead"

17 posts in this topic

I pulled out the 1976 Oldsmobile brochure and found something interesting. Oldsmobile was using airbags for driver and passengers back in the early to mid 1970's. They called it "air cushion restraint". This was well before everyone was doing it now. Oldsmobile's were always a step ahead.

It's in the 1975 brochure too (just looking at it now; available in full sized models except convertibles & wagons). I thought I remembered hearing about it in 1974 but it doesn't show up in my brochure for that year--maybe it was a mid-year intro?

I've heard of it being tested as late as 1974, so a '75 introduction seems likely...though as stated already if may have been offered late in the '74 model year.

Oldsmobile also had brake lights up on the rear deck long before the government jumped on the band wagon - in 1974, if I am not mistaken.

According to that, they were in cars by '74, so it seems odd that airbags aren't mentioned in the '74 brochure :scratchchin:

I think there were a tiny few 1974 Chevrolet Impalas built with airbags.

Olds began offering airbags in 1974. It is in the brochure all the way in the back P46:

"Air cushion restraint system

This highly sophisticated new protective feature is available in Toronado, Ninety-Eight and Delta 88 models (except convertible) as an alternative to the standard combination front seat/shoulder belt system shown above"

Olds began offering airbags in 1974. It is in the brochure all the way in the back P46:

"Air cushion restraint system...

...as an alternative to the standard combination front seat/shoulder belt system shown above"

Hahaha!

It's very odd they don't mention when they started installing seatbelts!

Didn't Ford use them first?

That's odd, I've got two 1974 Olds brochures--the big one and the small one. Both show the 3-point combo seat belts on page 46 but not the airbags. However, I distinctly remember seeing the airbags mentioned in a '74 brochure, as the poster above notes. I threw out some old brochures of mine many years back because they had gotten wet (& moldy). I'm wondering if the '74 Olds brochure I threw out was a later edition and made mention of the airbags...

I thumbed through the 1975 Buick brochure and an "air restraint system" is mentioned very briefly--though no pictures of the thick-center steering wheel are shown.

Now I'm looking at the '71 Toronado brochure and it shows the high-mounted taillights.

I read an article in "Collectible Automobile" magazine with the Toronado. It is the June 2007 issue. I strongly suggest you check it out. They have concept pictures of the 1971 Toronado along with the story behind the 1971-1978 Toronado. Oldsmobile again was a step ahead. That Toronado had anti-lock brakes on it before other cars. It was called "true-track". It was not until the 1980's other cars got them. There was a 1971 Toronado in the magazine the with a similar color as mine. More of reason why I need to change the color. It also had high mounted stop lights( the third brake light in all cars now) back in 1971. The Ninety Eight was mentioned many times in the article. It was called the "thinking man's Cadillac" by dealers back in the day.

I pulled out the 1976 Oldsmobile brochure and found something interesting. Oldsmobile was using airbags for driver and passengers back in the early to mid 1970's. They called it "air cushion restraint". This was well before everyone was doing it now. Oldsmobile's were always a step ahead.

Oldsmobile was quite the car line in the mid-70s as I recall. Of the GM lines, Chevy was kind of...well...apple pie, Buick tended toward the sterile, and Cadillac was sort of a mixed bag (plaid cloth seats were standard in the base Coupe and Sedan de Villes :lol: ) yet they had made a sensible package out of the Seville.

In this era as I awakened to my love for GM, Oldsmobiles were just flat out tastefully done ... and Pontiacs had a dash more "je ne sais quoi" (oh no, did I say something in another language...slap me for that) that was lacking in the other GM lines. One example was that our family had both a 1976 Cutlass Supreme and a 1976 Regal at the same time. The Cutlass had it hands down over the Regal, regardless of the fact that one was a V8 and the other a V6! The Cutlass was just drop-dead beautiful and 512,000 people must have thought the same thing that year! I swear, when it first arrived, looking at them gave me goosebumps. Yeah, I know, that's weird.

Also, how the hell does one get a hold of old brochures? I would love to find a 1975 and 1976 Olds full-line brochure. The jerk that is my brother tore them up in retaliation when we were younger and got in a fight. In the 1975 brochure, there was a picture for the Cutlass Salon coupe taken at the cruise port terminal at the Embarcadero in San Francisco with the Coit Tower in the background. The Cutlass Salon coupe was in the color they called "Cranberry." I'd sure love to see that photo again. :wub:

I know that at the Toronto Auto Show there is a guy who sells brochures there. I've amassed a few Chrysler brochures from the last '60s, but he has all makes and models. Depending on the rarity and demand, they are usually around $20 or so (Canadian.) He also has old full page ads from old magazines.

I used to haunt the local dealers and the auto shows in the mid-70s and collected a lot of brochures, which I keep in a box. When I moved recently, I flipped through a few of them. A lot of laughs, some of them. I have a great 4 or 5 page, full color spread from 1973 that included the entire GM line and was included in the former Toronto Star (now the Toyota Star). Actually, that insert really sparked my interest in cars and my (long dead) aspiration to become an automotive designer.

One of these days, I will figure out how to scan and post pictures on this site.................................

Oldsmobile was quite the car line in the mid-70s as I recall. Of the GM lines, Chevy was kind of...well...apple pie, Buick tended toward the sterile, and Cadillac was sort of a mixed bag (plaid cloth seats were standard in the base Coupe and Sedan de Villes :lol: ) yet they had made a sensible package out of the Seville.

In this era as I awakened to my love for GM, Oldsmobiles were just flat out tastefully done ... and Pontiacs had a dash more "je ne sais quoi" (oh no, did I say something in another language...slap me for that) that was lacking in the other GM lines. One example was that our family had both a 1976 Cutlass Supreme and a 1976 Regal at the same time. The Cutlass had it hands down over the Regal, regardless of the fact that one was a V8 and the other a V6! The Cutlass was just drop-dead beautiful and 512,000 people must have thought the same thing that year! I swear, when it first arrived, looking at them gave me goosebumps. Yeah, I know, that's weird.

Also, how the hell does one get a hold of old brochures? I would love to find a 1975 and 1976 Olds full-line brochure. The jerk that is my brother tore them up in retaliation when we were younger and got in a fight. In the 1975 brochure, there was a picture for the Cutlass Salon coupe taken at the cruise port terminal at the Embarcadero in San Francisco with the Coit Tower in the background. The Cutlass Salon coupe was in the color they called "Cranberry." I'd sure love to see that photo again. :wub:

The next time your in Montreal you have to contact me so we can have a beer and talk about 76 and 77 Cutlasses. If you go to classic car shows you can get old brochures. I'm not sure where hese are in the west coast. I just got back from one of the biggest of these shows in Carlise, Pa and there are dozens of vendors there that sell only old car brochures. This year I found some old GM corporate brochures from the 50's but I didn't buy them cause they were $15 each. If you've never seen one of these vendors before you'll go nuts the 1st time you do. They have everything. I have an extra 76 Olds brochure you can have, just give me your mailing address and I'll send you it.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0