New Buick rear-driver coming to China, U.S.

VenSeattle

I don't know if this article was posted, but it's apparent the upcoming Buick Park Avenue in China will be Lucerne's replacement:

As its sales in China have grown over the past decade, the Buick nameplate has wound up with two distinct product lines - one for American customers and another for its Chinese customers.

Steve Shannon, Buick Division general manager, says the product lines will begin to converge in the next few years as GM moves ahead with its global platform strategy. Before his appearance at the Automotive Press Association in Detroit , Shannon confirmed for TheCarConnection.com that GM is working on a new rear-wheel-drive Buick that would be built both in China and the United States. The new vehicle wouldn't reach American showrooms until 2010 or 2011 at the earliest, Shannon said.

Shannon also said while GM has hung on to the Riviera name, it doesn't have any plans now for a new Buick coupe.

Meanwhile, Buick product planners and GM's operations in China are working to make sure Buicks in China and the United States will share common attributes. GM actually sold more Buicks in China last year than it did in the U.S. and Buick's success in China has helped keep the brand alive in recent years.

In the early 1980s, Buick sold one million vehicles annually but sales had fallen to 241,000 units last year in the U.S. Strong sales in China boosted Buick's total sales to 567,000 units, Shannon noted. Even though more Buicks were sold in China than in the U.S. last year, Shannon insisted Buick is turning around its fortunes in the U.S.

"We are rebuilding the brand," he said. The new Buick Enclave, which will reach showrooms in a couple of months, is loaded with meaningful technology and comes with a "library-quiet" interior that is a critical part of Buick's patrimony. "This is really an important vehicle for Buick," he said.

Shannon also said that Buick is preparing to bring back the Super designation on a couple of models. Buick last offered Super models in 1958 but the success of the Cadillac V-Series has prompted it to take a look at special models for the brand, Shannon said.

Link: http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto_News/...173.A12090.html

Yes... To a RWD Buick no to RWD Lucerne replacement... They should just give us the Park Ave that will be sold in China and sell it alongside the Lucerne.

I completely agree... however, isn't that going to step on DTS territory? Unless they bring the DTS higher upscale...

Yes... To a RWD Buick no to RWD Lucerne replacement... They should just give us the Park Ave that will be sold in China and sell it alongside the Lucerne.

I'm pretty confident that the next LaCrosse will be more than capable of replacing the current LaCrosse and Lucerne. It'll be positioned further upscale with more features and better packaging. I'm expecting the LaCrosse to be offered in the same price range as the current Lucerne to give Saturn's Aura more breathing room while defining the LaCrosse’s competitors more clearly. The next-gen LaCrosse and Park Avenue arrive around the same time frame (2009-2010... maybe 2011 but doubt it's that far away), and suspect there won't be an apparent gap in the line-up once we see them side-by-side.

I completely agree... however, isn't that going to step on DTS territory? Unless they bring the DTS higher upscale...

This article indicates the Zeta-based Cadillac sedan will be built at Hamtramck in place of the DTS. That said vehicle will be Cadillac's S-Class fighter. So, yeah, Cadillac's large sedan will be much more expensive than the Buick Park Avenue.

It had been posted, but no, the upcoming Park Avenue will not be the Lucerne replacement, rather one vehicle will replace them both.

Well, I know some information had been posted, but I didn't find an article that explicitly stated the same RWD vehicle will be sold in China and US.

If I understand you correctly, the Park Avenue about to debut in China will have a very short life? It will be replaced by another vehicle being developed for both the US & China?

Look at the dates—"2010 or 2011 at the earliest". The new PA effectively debuted in Australia in 2006. Give it a standard five years and you have 2011. Given the introduction date of the Lucerne and a normal 5-year run and it will be about right.

Eh... Either way, I don't care. I just want them to keep the Park Avenue name and bring it back to the US while keeping it in China. The "2010 or 2011" timeframe can change. If DTS/Lucerne sales start dropping off, they'll expedite their plans. It won't be difficult considering the first Zeta-based vehicles will be out before then. I'll hold out for this vehicle.

I just thought of something... if it is true that American Buicks will be identical to their Chinese counterparts...how can GM justify having TWO Australian clones in the same showroom (PA/G8)? Yeah, one is SWB, one LWB... but they are pretty darn close, otherwise.

I just thought of something... if it is true that American Buicks will be identical to their Chinese counterparts...how can GM justify having TWO Australian clones in the same showroom (PA/G8)? Yeah, one is SWB, one LWB... but they are pretty darn close, otherwise.

Just like they can justify Acadia and Enclave. :AH-HA_wink:

But thats not going to happen anyways. This article is not talking about the current Park Ave coming here... that is wrong. The next one is coming, not the one that just debuted.

The next-gen LaCrosse and Park Avenue arrive around the same time frame (2009-2010... maybe 2011 but doubt it's that far away),

Unfortunately, the Lacrosse is coming out in early 2009, but the Lucerne is in fact coming out in 2011.

The replacement vehicle will come from Oshawa, right?

At least the one sold in the US, yes.

No, It will be built at Hamtramck:

GM insiders, in fact, said recently that GM has already initiated discussion with UAW Local 22, which represents workers at the Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant where the new Cadillac and Buick would be built. GM wants an understanding with the union before moving forward with the project.

Maybe GM is just saying that to keep the union happy, because there's absolutely no reason to build it in Hamtramck when Oshawa will have 200+k units of capacity available.

It's okay to feel that way, but you can't outright say it will be built in Oshawa. GM needs a plan for Hamtramck. GM just spent millions upgrading that site and it needs product after Lucerne & DTS go out of production. I believe Hamtramck now uses the same system as LGR so it's possible it could be used to expand Sigma production, but Zeta doesn't seem out of the question either, especially since that article indicates such.

Sigma is finished after the CTS I believe.

Probably, in exchange for Zeta. LGR certainly isn't finished and I seriously doubt Hamtramck is either.

It would make sense to have three plants producing Zeta if almost all of Cadillac's line-up moves to Zeta while they continue to add new models. If Buick Cadillac, Pontiac, Chevrolet, and possibly Saturn receive models on this platform (whether the ones currently planned or different models to fit CAFE), you're looking at a fairly large portion of GM's US market relying on Zeta output. GM could make several fuel-efficient SWB Zeta vehicles.

Maybe Alpha could go to Hamtramck and DTS/Lucerne/CTS/upscale Zetas to LGR. Then Oshawa would be building the Pontiac and Chevy Zetas (Camaro, G8, Impala, GTO(?), etc). I really don't see the need to have 3 plants capable of producing 1 million units (Oshawa 500k, LGR 250k, Hamtramck 250k (guessing)) produce probably 700k units.

Maybe Alpha could go to Hamtramck and DTS/Lucerne/CTS/upscale Zetas to LGR. Then Oshawa would be building the Pontiac and Chevy Zetas (Camaro, G8, Impala, GTO(?), etc). I really don't see the need to have 3 plants capable of producing 1 million units (Oshawa 500k, LGR 250k, Hamtramck 250k (guessing)) produce probably 700k units.

That is what I was thinking as well. But if Hammtrack and Oshawa are BOTH flex capable, and we are talking flex enough to do both FWD and RWD chassis, then it is possible that EPII production could fill space in either plant. Also I think Alpha could be poised for either Willmington or Hammtrack, if it is even produced in the US.