Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Toyota Auris

regfootball

Wait a second isn't this

Posted Image

a twist beam rear suspension? Didn't GM get REAMED for using this in the Delta Ion and Cobalt, both of which will be either replaced or refreshed before this thing hits US shores?!

Hmm...I just saw another picture here which shows outer links of an IRS. I am confused maybe solid rear for FWD models and independant for AWD?

a twist beam rear suspension?

Hmm...I just saw another picture here which shows outer links of an IRS. I am confused maybe solid rear for FWD models and independant for AWD?

two rear suspensions are available one is a double wishbone, no models are awd

Edited by toyoguy

two rear suspensions are available one is a double wishbone, no models are awd

I am guessing costs savings? Does that also imply the 4 speed auto will be used on base models, as it is on the current base Corolla? Doesn't speak well of Toyota's commitment to its customer, cheapening out on lower models. Though those who live in glass houses...

It is hard for me to say this, but.......I kinda like it. Much better than the Versa. I think we're more used to see econoboxes up here in the Arctic. I hope the team responsible for the next generation Aveo is already looking at this Toyota.

Besides, anything is better than Yaris! I prefer the early '90s Tercel over the Yaris!

The exterior is another example of this horrific, bloated styling bug that bit Toyota back in 2005 with the Avalon. Look at the Camry, RAV4, LX570, LS4whatever, Yaris. Its very weird and I won't even attempt to understand how anyone anywhere can find it remotely attractive.

The interior isn't bad for a compact. Interesting positioning of the e-brake that totally kills any convenient console use, though.

The exterior is another example of this horrific, bloated styling bug that bit Toyota back in 2005 with the Avalon. Look at the Camry, RAV4, LX570, LS4whatever, Yaris. Its very weird and I won't even attempt to understand how anyone anywhere can find it remotely attractive.

The interior isn't bad for a compact. Interesting positioning of the e-brake that totally kills any convenient console use, though.

It's just another way to make it convenient for Toyota to sell RHD and LHD versions of this vehicle. They don't have to move the e-brake.

Ok, so an even cheaper transmission in terms of manufacture and repair. Makes sense for a cheap little car.

to the best of my knowledge Toyota is switching to CVT's for 4cyl engines. By 2010 all 4cy Toyota vehicles will available with either a CVT or manual gearbox option.

to the best of my knowledge Toyota is switching to CVT's for 4cyl engines. By 2010 all 4cy Toyota vehicles will available with either a CVT or manual gearbox option.

It seems that is everyone, save GM, plans for 4 clyinder trannies. I guess that cost is the big issue.

Ugly FWD proportions & Jello sculpture styling.

And the shifter has to be on a pedestal why? <_<

... This car was introduced October 2006... quite ancient for internet news.

You can take that interior with the Blade/Matrix exterior instead.

Posted Image

http://toyota.jp/blade/exterior/garally/index.html

Camry's 2.4L, 167 hp engine, CVT, 2WD or 4WD, 3064 lb - 3218 lb.

As for the 2008 Corolla, that's a different car.

Posted Image

http://auto.moldova.org/stiri/eng/23928/

Posted Image

http://www.toyota-europe.com/cars/new_cars...olla/index.aspx

1.6L 122 hp, MultiMode transmission, push button start, paddle shifters.

Or 1.8L, 136 hp for Japan market.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/04/finally...on-corrola-deb/

2008 Corolla movie

http://www.toyota-europe.com/cars/new_cars...=320;height=212

Even the lowly Corolla has paddle shifters now.

I'm guessing that "MultiMode" is a European marketing name for the Japan marketing "Super CVT-i", which is used in the Japanese Corolla, Auris, and Blade.

The CVT get better mpg than the available 5-speed manual.

All 3 cars are available with 4WD in Japan market.

Edited by JT64

unfortunately it looks bland/nice enough that it will continue to sell like hotcakes. Jetta meets Corolla.

As the buyers ponder between this, or a Civic, Mazda3, Sentra, Focus, or Cobalt.

I would only put the Civic on top. The other 3 cars have to lure me with their bargain prices.

The Mazda3 is for the performance crowd, with like 8 less mpg. Big difference for a commuter's choice.

Posted Image

When there's no other choices on the market, bland is still comes out as best.

Unless these plastic exhibits suits your fancy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok the other cars aren't so bad.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow what planet did the Civic come from? Take me there.

Notice all the American designs prefer square edges, where as all the Japanese designs prefer curved edges.

Must be cultural. Are you a curved ball or a square head?

Edited by JT64

I thought the US version was delayed because the exterior sucks?

Already done.

This Japanese version

Posted Image

To this global version

Posted Image

Still looks funny, but the Japanese version looks like it came out of a baking mold.

Here are live photographs of the shocking baked Corolla.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_...T=english_PRINT

Edited by JT64

Unless these plastic exhibits suits your fancy.

Notice all the American designs prefer square edges, where as all the Japanese designs prefer curved edges.

Must be cultural. Are you a curved ball or a square head?

And there are no plastics in the Corolla? :rolleyes:

I think the curved vs. square part comes from the Japanese designs being newer (with the exception of the Caliber, but DCX sucks at interiors). Notice GM's new designs aren't squares.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't care for antennas that stick up like that. Did intergrated antennas in the back window go out of fashion? I don't care to see them, they detract from the car's overall appearance.

I like those types of antennae much beteer than the whip antenna we've grown up with.

A little goofy on big cars, but great for intermediates and smaller, especially hatches.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm guessing that "MultiMode" is a European marketing name for the Japan marketing "Super CVT-i"

IIRC it's a robotized 5-speed manual with paddle shifter and an automatic mode, not a CVT.

IIRC it's a robotized 5-speed manual with paddle shifter and an automatic mode, not a CVT.

So is it a DSG?

I can't find a single article on it, including even from any Toyota press releases.

The Japanese models are listed as using "Super CVT-i". Are they different from the Made in UK transmissions?

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/tech/environmen...ne/engine3.html

The Super CVT-i shows a torque converter, and belt driven.

Edited by JT64

Wow, the Cobalt really needs a new interior (though for the record, that's the pre 2007 head unit).

As for the Japanese vs Global Corolla... I'd much sooner get the Japanese market model. But that's kinda like choosing being hanged over a lethal injection.

Edited by aaaantoine